QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Thursday, August 5, 2010

ANOTHER UFO FIND

The container that had the star quilt in it also had a second project that I had lost track of. You can read about the star quilt here. The project is Chelsea Cottage from a Blackbird Designs book called "You're Invited". You can see the cover of the book here.
I had fabric set aside that has a similar look to that used in the book but not from the same line. I am using mostly Blackbird Designs' Beach House line of fabric. I had started cutting strips for the log cabin blocks. I decided I should go ahead and cut out every thing so that I am assured of having enough fabric. I could order more, if necessary, before it is sold out everywhere. It does appear that I have enough fabric. I already had prepped the applique pieces but still need to do the hand stitching. You can see a picture of what the quilt should look like in the photo below.
I was previously asked what I meant by having my applique pieces prepped. That can mean something different to many people because of the various methods of stitching the appliques down onto your background. I make a freezer paper template for the different elements within the applique design. I iron the pieces to the top side of the selected fabric. I use a regular pencil, a chalk pencil, or whatever will show and trace around the shape. I them cut out the piece leaving approximately 1/4" of fabric for turn under. When I am ready to applique the piece down, I remove the freezer paper (if it has not already fallen off), place it in the appropriate place, and then needle turn or finger press the edges under while I am stitching around the piece. I do not trace the design onto the background fabric as some do in needle turn applique. Most of the applique I do is prim style and exact placement is not as important.

Have a great day and stop back for another visit.

Karen

25 comments:

  1. Love your log cabin, Karen! Very pretty fabrics, and the applique adds so much. I prep by cutting out the pieces 1/4 inch bigger than the pattern, then starching the the pieces heavily, and then pressing down the edges under the pattern edges. It works...if the pattern is simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Blackbird Beach House line. It looks wonderful in your log cabin. I'm tempted to get that book. I like that freezer paper method too and actually use it for my hand piecing. Might try Julie's idea of the starch though for applique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a fun project. Good idea about making sure you have enough fabric. I just started BBD basket quilt--couldn't resist any longer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those blocks are so pretty.. can almost see it infront of me.. you have to go ahead and make it finished,,, it will be just wonderful..:o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo that's going to be a pretty quilt!! It's fun to read how others approach needle turn. I wouldn't be brave enough to guesstimate placement though LOL.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, you have found another great project to work on. Can I move in with you? LOL I love all of your projects. Have a wonderful day. Winona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those blocks and the fabrics used in them. That's going to be a great quilt.

    Great book also:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your log cabin blocks look like antiques! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love unearthing forgotten UFOs. Then I always go down memory lane and try to remember the particulars of this project: where, when, why? Do I really want to finish it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At first I thought the log cabin blocks were antiques. They have that soft brown, pink and color color. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen - I love those Blackbird Designs and find myself leaning more toward the primitive look, too. I'm currently making two quilts by the same designers. Your quilt blocks look wonderful :o)
    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems appropriate that a Log Cabin Quilter would have a log cabin ufo :0) I love that quilt (and that book) your blocks are lovely and will make such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this one! I have just pulled out an old project that I had failed to start from Blackbird designs too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your log cabin blocks looks great! That is one beautiful quilt!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love log cabin quilts. This is going to be a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with your log cabin ufo :-) Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Beach House line of fabrics and your blocks look super.

    This is going to be another winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a beautiful project, your Chelsea Cottage! I also have the book "You're Invited": it is so inspiring... Your line of fabric, Beach House from Blackbird Designs is just lovely: I use it for my hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do love your blocks, what a great discovery. There are some UFO's I don't want to find.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I'm a new follower. I would love to find that pretty UFO. I have made a few log cabins. They are actually my favourite quilt pattern. The colours in yours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is amazing what we can pack away in our storage areas .... and what a delight when they get uncovered.

    Since my quilts are usually so scrappy, I never worry about running out of fabric; but I do keep the fabrics all together draped on a stryofoam board so that when I'm ready to go back the fabric is still pressed and waiting for me to start work again. As you can imagine, there are about 6 styrofoam boards hanging around in my studio with fabric on them! :o)

    ReplyDelete