QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Thursday, August 12, 2010

ANTIQUE QUILTS

We arrived back home today from a 16 day vacation. I will post more on that subject in another post. Today, I want to post pictures of antique quilts I found in antique shops. None were purchased. I did not pick up the quilts to spread our for a picture, so they are as they were displayed.
This was a beautiful quilt. I wish that black stand was not in front of the quilt but it was too heavy and big to move. I don't know what the black thing is. Maybe a candle holder. The quilt was in good shape and had very nice, close quilting. I think the price was about $650.
The tree quilt was in fairly good shape. Some wear or disintegration in the blue but not much. I forget how much it cost. It was either $325 or $375. The quilting was oh so nice, too.
A blue & white basket quilt. Notice the double handle. Have you ever seen one like that?
The LeMoyne Star quilt top is a bright one. You need sunglasses to view the pink! I am no expert on quilt dating. Maybe the 60's or 70's?
The houses are nice. I don't find very many house quilts. I think they get snapped up pretty quickly.
A strippy quilt. Not glamorous but interesting.

A blue & white nine patch on point. Blue & white quilts have such a soft and soothing look.
I searched through Barbara Brackman's encyclopedia for the name of the block on this quilt. I think it is #306, the Improved Nine Patch or Circle Upon Circle. It has some other names also listed. First I had seen one like this.Flying Geese in this quilt, though you can't see much of it.
I did not look up the name of this quilt. It has a pinwheel in the center but one block looks a bit different.

I hope you enjoyed looking!

Karen

30 comments:

  1. What beautiful quilts! Thank you for sharing them! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what fun Karen! I love that basket quilt with the double handles...maybe an original??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home! Love all the antique quilts - thank you for sharing. :-)

    You've been missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you have your priorities right! Antique quilts first!! LOL
    I love the feathered star and the two handled basket!! How unique is that?! I think that's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your antique show and tell. All the quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful display of antique quilts! So glad you were able to have a nice trip away. I'm still wishing for mine:/

    I know you will be stitching soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely quilts! I really like the basket one with the double handles! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilts but that tree quilt just speaks to me for some reason more than the others *s* Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say let me be the first to welcome you back home...but looks like many comments already. Looking forward to hearing about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a fun quilt show to see...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, I think I'd also have to say the double handled basket is my favorite. LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're gorgeous - but oh those prices! My thrift store quilts are looking better and better, lol. Can't wait to hear about your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in a minority here, but I didn't like the basket quilt. Somehow the double handles gave me the feeling that I was seeing double. I loved the first quilt though, and the Improved 9-patch, and the blue and white, and ... I don't think I need to go on do I? Thanks so much for the show and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will be revisiting this post many times
    what beautiful antique quilts....ahhhhh
    hard to chose a favorite.
    glad to hear you had a nice vacation...
    we all need to get away
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the quilts...thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much fun to see antique quilts; thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great quilts....well except for the bright pink one LOL. Those double handles are really cool. I've never seen that before either.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea to share the pictures of the antique quilts. My husband and I often check out antique malls and shops while traveling and I alway wish I had a quilting buddy with me to share the quilts with that I see.

    I would realy like to make on like the house quilt. That is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did enjoy the antique quilts Karen...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing them with all of us. I have never seen a house quilt that was only a top. That would be fun to hand quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome home Karen! Can't wait to hear and see more of your trip.

    The quilts are beautiful! Thanks for sharing... Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. the double handled basket quilt is very interesting and i've not seen any like it before.

    also liked the simple strippy quilt but must say that they are all beautiful.

    thanks for sharing.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  23. What wonderful, wonderful quilts! Glad you had a good vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome back! Looks like you had some great fun on your trip! Thanks for the quilt pics~ I love the double handled basket, what a neat idea! :-) Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Where did you visit antique shops? I rarely find quilts in the ones I visit. That blue basket with the double handles is one of my favorites. I've never seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love all the antique quilts! And the double handle is great! Makes me want to stop the world and make one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome back. THANKS for the awesome quilt show!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great quilts. Thanks for showing them. The pink Lemoyne star is just my colour scheme.

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love traditional quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing, don't tell me where the shop is or I'll be trying to buy more antique quilts.
    I haven't ever seen a blue tree or a double handle basket.
    Sandra
    http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete