QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Sunday, August 15, 2010

VINTAGE AND ANTIQUE SEWING MACHINES

The first week of our vacation was to Maggie Valley, North Carolina in the Smokey Mountains. I like to visit the town of Franklin, NC which is not too far from there. There are some quilt shops in the town which make the visit worthwhile. There is also a fabric store that is not specifically a quilt shop but does have a small section of quilt fabric. The owner repairs sewing machines and has quite a nice collection of vintage and antique sewing machines. They are not for sale. I had not been to the store in a good while but decided to stop and take some pictures of the machines. It was hard to get good pictures because the majority of the machines are on shelves up high.
The first machine is a "Franklin" and displayed in one of the front windows. I imagine it is there because the town is named Franklin also.


In the middle of the display is a green machine like the one I purchased at a thrift store recently.
There is a little table top washing machine at the far right of the above photo. You sure couldn't wash much. Maybe it was for ladies undies. Or a child's toy. I have no idea.
The owner did have a Singer Featherweight for sale. He said he was selling it for someone else. It had no case or attachments. The base was pitted so it had some rough handling somewhere along the way. It had been serviced so was bound to sew well. The price was $275. He also told me that he has never found any of the really good buys he hears stories of every now and then. He said that one of the ladies that works in the store, found one at a yard sale on her way home from work for $24. Now wouldn't we all like to find one for that price!This is the cabin we stayed in for the week. I love the front porch. Our "oldest and dearest friends" joined us on this part of the trip. We spent many hours rocking on the porch and talking.
One view inside the cabin. I never did get around to taking more pictures of the inside. It is all very nicely decorated in a mountain cabin style.

Our second part of the trip was to Ohio for a family reunion. We found out the day before it was to be held that it was cancelled. This was due to a big storm that caused power failure in a big section of the state. We stayed with family and had a good time even though we did not get to see all my husband's relatives. Maybe next year.

We made a stop at Fenton Glass, Mosser Glass, and Boyd Glass. We purchased several pretty glass toothpick holders and baskets for my collection. And a few purchased from antique shops. We ventured out into Ohio Amish countryside to go to Der Dutchman for a delicious Amish style dinner. The food was good as always.

I am having trouble getting back into the sewing groove. I have washed and pressed all the fabric purchased on our trip. I even played with a design this afternoon but the parts were not going together well. I have another pattern that I know will work just as well and will move on to piecing that one instead.

Come back and visit me again soon.

Karen

29 comments:

  1. I think it's hard for many of us to get back into our sewing when we've been gone. Summer activities get in my way around here and this year with all of the construction going on, it's been harder.

    Your vacations sounds wonderful and that cabin is quite charming.

    Do you have a featherweight? I've been looking for one myself, but I do want one that is in good shape and that I won't have to fix it up.

    You'll get back into the swing of things sewing-wise. I am sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the old sewing machines. I am...or should I say my husband is one of those that found a great deal on a featherweight. We have a local flea market and he purchased a featherweight one year for $125 in the box with all the attachments, but the following year, he went really early and found a guy unloading a featherweight from his truck in the box, but no attachments and he got it for $25. So, I figure that now that I have two, each of my daughters will have one....someday. Those deals are out there....you just have to find someone who doesn't know what they have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little cabin! Too bad about the family reunion, but good thing the weather wasn't worse! They had been having some mighty storms across the mid-states. I love looking at vintage machines too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing all the sewing machines and hearing about your vacation. That cabin looks wonderful! Glad you had a good time! I'm sure you'll get back into sewing mode soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, that cabin's adorable..did you just rent it through an agency? My friend did a month long vacation in Maggie Valley a couple of years ago and LOVED it! I've wanted to go ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have had a busy trip! Sorry about the canceled reunion. Long way to go to get such disappointing news, but it sure sounds like you had fun anyway. Thank you for the pictures of the quilts in the earlier posts and of all your goodies! Keeps me inspired :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well the machines are cute... but that cabin! Would love to stay there! But it's always nice to come home.
    Sorry to hear about the weather and the reunion being cancelled.

    So glad you had a nice trip and visits with family and friends and got did a little shopping, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful trip Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cabin looks very inviting! Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cabin looks great. What a shame about the family get-together though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I'd known you would be so close by! Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great cabin!! So sorry to hear the reunion got canceled. I agree, it is hard to get back to sewing after being away but I'm sure you will get into it very soon :0)

    Welcome Home!!

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What was the name of the shop in Franklin? A friend of mine lived there for many years before moving to Raleigh. She still goes back to help some of the shops vend at quilt shows and such.
    Getting back into the groove after a trip always seems so hard but once you get that groove back...watch out! It is like time to make up. Enjoy your week!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun store to see the antique machines! I wonder if the washer was a salesman sample.

    Oh my, what a beautiful cabin you stayed in!! It looks so restful and peaceful. It sounds like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, Karen, what great pictures of the sewing machines. I would love just to sit at one and just watch it sew .... never have had an opportunity to see an antique one in motion.

    Your cabin looks so nice.

    What a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a nice collection of antique sewing machines, I just love looking at them and wondering who used them and what they made on them -
    lovely cablin.
    With fall and winter, will come quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh those sewing machines are to die for! Don't worry about not getting back in the grove - we all go through it, it will come back when your ready!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your mojo will return and you'll soon be going great guns again, Karen.

    What a gorgeous spot for a relaxing vacation. And you even got a little shopping in to make a good vacation even better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Karen, thoroughly enjoyed reading your post....where I live in Australia...I have never come across a little featherweight machine....last year we were at a swap meet and DH spotted one...he was unaware what it really was....I could not resist buying it.....sheer bargain price....and Ciaro is what I called her...means little dark one... sews like a dream...Warm Regards Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've really enjoyed reading about your trip to my part of the Carolinas. Wish we could have found time to meet but I know how hectic and scheduled a big trip like that has to be. Glad you enjoyed your time up here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a collection of antique sewing machines!!! Wonder what creations were made in hands that use them...

    What a great cabin to rent Karen!! I'd love to live in such a cabin in the woods... 8-)

    That is sad about the family reunion being canceled... Bad weather causes all kinds of disappointment with canceled events/functions... Hopefully it will all come together for another year...

    You'll get back into your groove of sewing soon enough... I know it!!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a collection of sewingmacines! Thank you for sharing!
    The cabin looks so pretty, a perfect spot to relax with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a lovely trip even if the reunion was canceled. The lady that found the sewing machine for $24 must be living right. What a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I called it Der Ditchman! My son has spent the week digging ditches, and I guess it just came out. I had lunch at Der DUTCHMAN just last week. The salad bar was yummo.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I could move right in that wonderful cabin!!!

    Beautiful collection of sewing machines, thanks for sharing! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like a fun trip. Now I could live in that cabin. I love the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great trip! I have a featherweight and love it!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  29. Maybe the reason you cannot get into the sewing groove it that your mind is still on vacation!

    ReplyDelete