QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern.

Monday, September 6, 2010

WOOL PREP WORK

I have been keeping myself busy this holiday weekend with prepping wool projects for stitching.  We don't like to travel away from home on holidays because of the traffic and we have had some rain, so it is nice to be working in the sewing room.  But oh what I mess I have made.
The first project I have prepped is "Garden Sampler" by a Piece of Work.  I have had to make some adjustments to the pattern as I did not have a large piece of dark brown plaid to work with.  I am using a brushed cotton instead.  Everything else is wool.  Things will take more definition in the project when the addition of the stitching and French knots are done.

The second project was designed by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings.  I have used cotton backgrounds sprayed with Distress It in the "lightly distressed" version of the product.  I will probably spray a couple of the blocks more as they are a bit light compared to the others.  Again, the project will look better when the embroidery is done.  There are several stems to add and flower centers.  I have lots of stitching to permanently attach the wool parts.

The label did not show up in the picture but you can see how the Distress It is packaged.  It is a small size pump type bottle.  I have another bottle that is the regular shade and it comes in a darker shade yet.  It was my first experience using the product.  Be sure to cover the area you are spraying on.  I used a piece of freezer paper under my fabric pieces to keep the work area clean.
Additional info: I was asked the list of ingredients.  The bottle does not have that info and I can't find the information online.  It has the company name of "Hooked on Rugs, Mason Mi." listed.  Says not a food product, keep away from children and pets, avoid contact with skin.  It is available from several online quilt shops including Colonial Quilts.

Back to the sewing room.  More wool to play with.

Karen

36 comments:

Barb said...

Karen I just love what is happening in your sewing room....I love both patterns...and I have not heard of that distress until today...thanks!

Lori said...

Lovely wool applique! Now, where do I get the Distress It? it sounds like something I would like to have.:)

Stina said...

Oh Karen .. you have been a busy lady..:O)) Love all the new applique blocks you have prepared.. looks like a lot of fun...:O))

Barb said...

OMG the wool project is awesome! what a folky and fun fall project. I love the basket project too.
I've never hear of "distress it"
what is on the ingredients list?

Darlene said...

Wow, you have a busy bee in your sewing room. Adorable wool projects.

Country Prims said...

You sure have been busy-nothing better than knowing you have a mass of handstitching prepped!

Love those yummy wools-can't wait to see the completed projects:)

Happy stitching,
Blessings, Shazy x

annieb said...

Stunning as always! And the best way to spend a rainy day.

Loris said...

Love these wool blocks! Interesting product you are using. I've not heard of it before. Can't wait to see the stitching embellishment. These will be beautiful!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love wool and have just finished the stitching on the fall pumpkin table mat from Primitive Gatherings. Only need to put the back on it - that shouldn't take too long. I've been contemplating Lisa's pattern that you've shown above - maybe when I get home. Meantime I have two others of hers prepped and ready. I love your top piece, especially the brown plaid background. It looks as if you've pinked the top and bottom and the whole wool piece will be appliqued on the background - is that your plan? blessings, marlene

Daniëlle said...

Love the wool applique blocks, but the baskets ... well, they are my favourites!!! Have a bottle of distress here, but find it makes too many large spots, so not my cup of tea I'm afraid!! Have fun playing! Hugs, Daniëlle

quiltingnana said...

we don't travel much on holidays either...I don't do much with wool but yours look very nice...where do you get the Distress spray?

Allie said...

Oh Karen your projects are just gorgeous! Even without the stitching yet!

Nines said...

Yummy! Have fun playing with your wool!

Yvette said...

OOOOH! What wonderful eye candy! I look forward to seeing them stitched.

MJinMichigan said...

Primitive Gatherings has a similar product of their own for aging the fabric. I think it's called Instant Antique or something similar and they sell it online. I love Lisa's designs and website.

Kaaren said...

I'm loving all that wool, Karen!

Now that the prep work is done, the rest is my favorite part...the stitching. Isn't it a good feeling to have so much prepared in advance?

Happy stitching!

Purple Pam said...

It looks like you are having a fun time with all your blocks.

Barbara J said...

Lovely wool applique going on! :)

Colleen said...

oooohhhh Karen! I am totally jealous! I want to get in my room now and prep prep PREP everything! How inspiring!

Karen said...

Your work just amazes me. Every time I see what you're working on, I'm reminded again of why I love applique. Have never worked with wool, but your work is beautiful. Can't wait to see them finished. If your orphan blocks ever need to be adopted - I'm your girl LOL!!!

paulette said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Can't wait to see them finished!! Love them both!!
Paulette

Christine said...

lovely applique blocks...love how your using different fabrics for the block backgrounds...Christine

ranette said...

Isn't it nice to have bunches of blocks ready to applique?! Good job prepping so many and have fun cleaning the sewing room...lol... :o)

Sue-Anne said...

Cant wait to see your projects stitched, they look fantastic. You have been very productive getting all those blocks ready for stitching. Have fun with them.

Crispy said...

Very pretty projects Karen!! I love the top one. I can see lots of lovely stitching time in your future :0)

Crispy

Happy Frog Quilting said...

Hi love your new projects and your blog!!!

Cindy said...

I realize prep time is also time needed so you got a lot done..way too go.

I so enjoy watching your beautiful work come to life. You're such a talent, I have always admired your work from the first time I happened upon your blog.

No fun traveling on holidays, I agree. I "saw" the ONLY highway going back into the city (Phoenix) as son and I passed "over it" to McDonalds yesterday - YUCK - that's the only word I can say - YUCK.

Cathi said...

They're fabulous blocks -- I can't imagine working with wool, though. Isn't it itchy?

Lee Prairie Designs said...

They are all wonderful! I am sure you had a better time sewing than traveling over the holiday. I will look forward to seeing them stitched. Planning is fun but-- the stitching will make it all come alive. That's my favorite part. Thanks for sharing!
:) Carolyn

Carrie P. said...

Well, it just wouldn't be right not to make a mess when you are prepping things.:D
Oh, they are so pretty and the stitching will sure make them even more pretty.

Myra said...

Oh Karen, all your blocks are wonderful! Love them! 8-)

MARCIE said...

Beautiful projects! Lots of prep work, but oh wow! They will be fabulous!

John'aLee said...

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one that makes a mess! It is amazing all of the prep work you have gotten done. Can't wait to see the finished projects.

QuiltSue said...

Wowwee you have been busy. I love the look of some of your blocks already and am looking forward to seeing them finished.

joan said...

You do such beautiful work.. I love your projects♥♥♥ They are so interesting and differen. I too love to sew in the rain on a long week-end.

Shakerwood said...

These have come out wonderfully!