QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"CELEBRATION" APPLIQUE DONE

I finished the applique on a sunflower wall hanging.  Could be used for a table runner as it is wide in width and narrow in length.
The pattern name is "Celebration" and is from a book called "The Olde Farmhouse".  The book is by Joined at the Hip and can be seen here.  I prepped the applique parts a few weeks ago on one of the nights I had difficulty sleeping.  I started the applique Monday and finished it Tuesday evening.  That was fast.  I had the exact border fabric that was used in the sample quilt.  One of those jacquard fabrics by Jan Patek.  Now the top becomes a UFO waiting to be quilted.  This will make a nice summer piece.

Another block and filler parts completed for the BOM that I am working on.  No applique on this one so it made up very quickly.
I had trouble sleeping one night earlier in the week.  I started to prep a small applique piece.  Part way through, I realized that the pattern instructions said to enlarge 125%.  I was not too happy.  It is a pet peeve of mine that full size applique patterns are not included.  And it does need to be full size, so the prepped parts went in the trash.

I received a stuffed package from Mary of Quilt Hollow this week.  She sent me some plaid fabrics that she was not using.  They will be put to good use in some of my projects.  A wonderful treat delivered by the mailman instead of a bill!  A big thank you to Mary.

I have another prepped applique project I can work on today or whatever suits my fancy.  No plans for the day.  We need to stay away from the grocery stores.  So many people will be out buying food for their Thanksgiving celebration.  We don't want to fight the crowds.

Have a great day!

Karen

26 comments:

  1. That WAS fast! Wow! Looks beautiful! Love the fabrics. I don't like it so much when the patterns are not full sized to begin with. It is a complete pain. I would not have been happy either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that table runner! I went to the Joined at the Hip site and noticed that I have one of their books - Alphabet soup - I got it at Half Price Books for $2.50! And I got it more for the pieced alphabet, but there are lots of cute things in it. I hope to make the Pumpkin wall hanging for next fall. And I love your turkey wall hanging from your last post. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the info on the pattern, I will have to go take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your summer piece is awesome!!
    Love the colors of your pieced project. You are so productive, as usual! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Karen, the basket block is so pretty. What BOM?

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blog background is fabulous!
    Love your new finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've learned to love sunflowers over the last couple of years - did one in redwork and another in wool and was pleased with both. Yours is going to be beautiful! And I echo your thoughts that pattern pieces which need to be enlarged are not on my "to buy" list - I have no way to enlarge them short of going to the office supply store and paying. When I've paid for the pattern to begin with I am very reluctant to pay still more. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Sunflower Applique looks wonderful! It looks like your BOM is coming along nicely.
    Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Sunflower applique is fabulous - perfect for summer. Love the filler blocks for your BOM project.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love your Celebrations quilt and the basket blocks you are working on. All of those fabrics are just delightful.
    I'm with you in that I want full-sized applique shape at the ready. I don't have time to go and have them enlarged.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love your basket with sunflowers!!! I have that book, page dog-eared, now I REALLY want to make it. :D Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once more you continue you to amaze me!! I love your blog...such eye candy! As I scroll through each of your many posts I can see how prolific your quilting is...and how gorgeous!! At each post I say, WOW or OHHHHH...just love it ALL! You are just incredible!!
    Take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Karen....that applique with sunflowers and flag is wonderful but then everything I see you do is! I'm laughing though as you talk about prepping and how fast you got it appliqued....I would likely still be on the first flower or lovely Steam A Seam and call it good! I've got to go look at the book...I like that pattern! Your welcome for the fabric..more will be coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your new header. The orange and black combination make this quilt shine. I wish I got as much done as you do.......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the sunflowers.....very cheery! How annoying that the pattern had to be resized! Nice to received mail that isn't a bill...happy thanksgiving to you....and it's great that you can make use of the time when you can't sleep - much more productive than staying in bed and staring at the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great! I am sorry you had trouble sleeping. Were you in pain? I hope not :o( Love your header picture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the background fabric on your celebration quilt and of course the reds and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really liking those filler block colors. And so sweet of Mary to send you plaids. If you ever have too many (like that is going to happen!)send them my way. A girl can never have too many plaids!!

    Seriously about the applique patterns. Copies at Staples are 9 cents each. If you are charging $8 and up for a pattern, what's wrong with adding another sheet or two of paper in the pattern. The cost is miniscule compared to upsetting customers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made a quilt using so many of those exact pumpkins!!! love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your new wall hanging and your new pieces, can't wait to see them finished.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great applique wall hanging! Love the sunflowers.
    Beautiful piece work on the basket and filler blocks.
    Sorry that you had to throw away the prep pieces.
    Elzaan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Goodness you do get a lot accomplished when you can't sleep. I wish I had that problem sometimes LOL. The table runner is cute :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your sunflowers. I think books should have the full size patterns too. You shouldn't have to go out and pay to have them enlarged after you have bought the book or pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your BOM block and filler pieces Karen! Great fabrics! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your BOM is looking wonderful - I know the finished quilt is going to look fabulous. Those sampler fabrics are perfect.

    ReplyDelete