QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Saturday, November 13, 2010

MORE HAPPY DANCE

I feel like I have been a very good girl of late as the mailman brought me another unexpected envelope.  This time it contained a stitchery pattern I had my eyes on a while back.  Cathi from Shakerwood Quilts knew that it interested me very much and has sent it to me.
The stitchery is prim style which is my favorite.  I need to get busy on this some time soon as I discovered that I don't have nearly as much patriotic stuff as I thought I did.  It will go well with the Uncle Sam wall hanging I have in the works.  A big thank you to Cathi.  If you have not visited one of her blogs, be sure to do so sometime soon.  She has one for hand dyed wools and one for prim style decorating along with her quilting blog.

I lost a photo last week of the next set of blocks for the designer quilt I am working on.  I took another photo this morning so I can share progress with you.
The handles on the paper pieced baskets don't show all that well but that was the fabric that was to be used for them.  I like the narrow trim on the applique basket top and base.  A different look.

I finished two quilts this week.  I have shown both on my blog in the past when they were at the completed top stage.  Now they are machine quilted and the binding done.  I don't have my official quilt holder here to hold the first quilt up for a picture so I draped it on the rocker out on the lanai.  I pieced this last year from fabric I purchased three years ago.  Hey, at least I used the fabric.  Now I have another fall quilt and it is done before fall is officially over.
The pattern is from a Kim Diehl book called "Simple Seasons".  The pattern name is "Duck, Duck, Goose".  I like Kim's books a lot.  I just ordered her new book and it is on the way as we speak.

The second quilt I finished is one I really like.  It is called "Town Square" and is from a book called "Houses" by Fig Tree Designs.
The center fabric is one of the Coverlet reproduction fabrics.  It has houses, birds, and trees on it.  I thought it was a good choice for the quilt center.  The houses are made from different red reproduction fabrics.  A couple of the reds are ones that were not specifically repro fabric but I thought they looked like they could be.  This is not a large quilt and will make a nice one to display.

I have all my blocks made for the sew along that Cheri was having.  I have not done the center strips nor the applique yet.
Cheri named the quilt "Soot and Ashes" so I used reproduction fabrics that reminded me of that.  Cheri is a participant in "Home for the Holidays" and has a prim style little quilt pattern on her blog that you can make.  Poke around a bit and you can see a picture of the finished project on another post.

A beautiful day in Florida.  I am heading to the sewing room and will enjoy the sunshine through the window right by my machine.  Have a good day and take time to sew.

Karen

42 comments:

  1. I love your finished quilts! Both are gorgeous! "Duck, Duck, Goose" looks so cozy! Town Square has a very elegant look with the Coverlet. Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your 'designer' blocks - they are fabulous.

    Hey, I made 'Duck, Duck, Goose' from Kim Diehl's book a couple of years ago. I love that quilt.

    The Fig Tree quilt is beautiful, Karen.

    Please send some of your MOJO - I'm not sewing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunshine sounds VERY good...it's raining buckets here!! Your two quilts are stunning...I love them both! I really want to make a house quilt too...you are such an inspiration to all of us out here in blogland!! Finishing off TWO quilts in one week...WOW!!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both quilt finishes are beautiful Karen.
    Houses is so cute and what a great center fabric.
    Sunshine does sound great - winter storm warning and lots of snow here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your basket block - very nice. I have just bought a Kim Diehl book Simple Blessings - I am so excited to have it, full of inspiration! And HARD CASE, I was asked to make up the stencils for the houses for the Town Square quilt the other day at work - it's great to see your version of it!! have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice of you to get some more happiness in the mail:)

    I love the quilts you finished and have both of the books that you made them from.

    I also have Kim Diehl's new book too and it's WONDERFUL! Actually, I have all of her books:)

    I didn't realize it, but bought her book twice, so I might have to have a give-away.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your finishes, but esp.loved Town Square!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Karen thats probably one of my favorite quilts you have made, love those houses around the wonderful folk art looking coverlet fabric
    oh just beautiful.
    I am in awe! think I need to find that red coverlet fabric NOW!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finishes. I really like the red and white one. After the log cabin, the school house block is my favorite.

    Glad you like the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous finishes Karen! I really love that fall one! The basket blocks are coming nicely too.. pretty fabrics :o) It is rainy and dreary here today in Wisconsin... perfect day to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to buy Kim's new 'Simple' book too. Can you tell me how you're going to attach the appliques to Cheri's quilt pattern? I can't decide whether to do it by machine or hand (running stitch? or buttonhole stitch?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fantastic finishes...busy, busy, busy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work, I particularly like Town Square.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what an eye candy of a post....love your quilts....the fall one is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your work and that banner is awesome.. Where did you get it? Is it yours.. I really like it.
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are having way too much fun!!! I have a little book of Sarah Sporer's stitcheries and love every one of them!!
    Your finishes are wonderful and I especially like how you used the coverlet fabric for the center of your quilt. Very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun mail you have been getting lately!! I love that pattern too...and love your soot and ashes blocks! Don't you just love snuggling under a quilt newly finished...heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow! I love both quilts! What great finishes! And your soot and ash blocks are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen, beautiful finishes. Enjoy your new fall quilt, it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How lovely of Cathi to send you that pattern! It's darling. Love your blocks and your quilts are GORGEOUS - the fabric in the Town Square quilt is so perfect! Love the Soot and Ashes too. You are so busy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Karen! What wonderful quilts and blocks!! You've been a busy bee!!!
    Great fabrics in your projects too! Very inspiring post!!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Duck, Duck, Goose is yummy! I have seen so many people doing Cheri's Soots and Ashes. I look forward to seeing your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooo a couple of beautiful finishes Karen and a lovely gift and the blocks look wonderful. Goodness, you have had a busy and productive week!!

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those quilts are gorgeous. You must be so pleased and PROUD.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both of your new quilts a lovely, but I really like Duck,Duck, Goose:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good work on you finished blocks and quilts. I love the Duck, Duck, Goose quilt!!
    Enjoy the sampler...
    Elzaan

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, what a wonderful and busy post!
    I love all your projects - the new fall quilt is wonderful with those 9-patches and the B&W blocks look great. The stitchery pattern looks great, can't wait to see the progress on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your brown basket blocks are sweet. And the quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes you are a good girl...:O))) Ever so fun to visit you...
    Lots to see and be inspirered from....Love your red and white house quilt.. it is lovely..:O)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Karen, My computer finally died so until a new one arrives I'll be using an even older (12 I think) one that is downstairs in a very cold room so I won't be here much for a while. BUT, I just had to tell you how much I love the Duck Duck Goose quilt. It's so gorgeous. I also love Town Square, there is something about it that jsut speaks to me. I love quilts with houses in them anyway, always have. Soot and Ashes is looking wonderful too. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful work. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Dance means Happy Feet!! LOL

    The mailman seems to be very busy in your neck of the woods!!! Wish he would come visit me too!! Enjoy your wonderful gifts!

    I love the Kim Diehl Quilt!! I keep telling myself the next quilt I do should be one of her patterns.
    Your town square is wonderful also! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, I love your finishes - what a busy quilter you have been! The black and white blocks are great, too. One of the quilts on my someday list is a black and white bowtie. These inspire me to move it up the list!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your red and white house quilt! Red and white is my favorite 2 color combination. I also love the applique basket block - lovely flowers, pretty basket fabric and a great busy backround.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow..love all of your finishes, but esp.loved Town Square...beautiful!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the basket square beautiful.
    and your quilting is so lovely.
    thank you for your visit and comment. I will keep you in my favorites.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for finishing my house quilt!!! I can't wait to see it in person. (wink, wink)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the house quilt!! How clever! I had to send the link to all my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I really love the house quilt!!! Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your two quilts are gorgeous!!!

    I still have all my gold/orange fabrics out from doing my pumpkins quilts and the Kim Diehl pattern would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love Kim Deihl's patterns too. I have made the table runner "Cross my Heart" by her.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the schoolhouses blocks. They look nice and small!!

    ReplyDelete