QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

MORE BASKET BLOCKS AND PARTS

More basket blocks and pieces and parts to share with you.
This is not the layout for the quilt but just everything close together on the design wall for the photo.  The upper left block is my favorite of these.  I made a change to the block to simplify the basket.  Only because I thought a strip pieced basket looked too busy.  The fabrics  included some to be used in the flower which made the flower sort of blend into the basket.  I substituted the brown from the same fabric line.  Now the flower stands out more.  I love the pieced border around the block.  The second block over is the same layout as the pattern but I changed the basket to a more simple one.  Again, the block had such a busy look that this helped a lot.  The bottom right basket is made just like the pattern.  I am coming to the end of making blocks for the quilt.  One more package to go.  Then I can lay it all out and see if anything needs adjusting.

A while back, I showed you "Grace" which was made from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote-Payne.  The pattern did not give Grace a mouth.  I thought she needed something.  Perhaps a heart button.  I found one button but it was too bright of a red.  I was going to attempt to paint it a darker red.  Then I found this heart button at Hobby Lobby.  A deeper red and long like Grace's face.  Here is what Grace looked like before the addition of the button.
Here is what she looks like now.  The quilting makes it look like she had a mouth to start with but that is just the angle of the photo.  She needed something.

Back to the sewing room.  Have a great day.

Karen

31 comments:

  1. Sweet blocks!

    Love Grace and her new nose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Grace looks wonderful with a mouth and you found the perfect button!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your applique is absolutely GORGEOUS!!
    Grace smiles now...with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen your blocks and color selection are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the changes you are making to those baskets - they are just right *s*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished making Grace myself. Still has to be quilted and bound. Mine doesn't have a mouth, either. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work and I agree, Grace looks good with her button mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your blocks and I do love the one in the upper left though they are all so pretty.

    Grace is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love that basket quilt!! It gets better and better with the more blocks you add! Love the fabrics too. Button mad a huge difference. It's perfect now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! Love the blocks and yet again, a new design on the blog. Mine is still white, the snow plow hasn't cleared the snow off it yet. *vbg*

    ReplyDelete
  11. The basket quilt is going to be stunning!! Absolutely gorgeous!! You continue to amaze me!! And you were right the button is perfect!!
    take care!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never been to a Hobby Lobby?? Do they sell fabric? Just wondering if I should keep my eyes open for one when I am down south??
    Thanks!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a machine, girlfriend!!!
    Love all your blocks!!
    The button is cute too. I agree it needed a little something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Karen, just catching up on some blog reading and I love your basket blocks and especially love your Christmas Sampler quilt! Love the new Christmas wallpaper on your blog too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen, I love everything you are working on. Makes me sad that I am at work and can't play.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute basket blocks! Love Grace with her heart. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grace is so cute with her red nose.
    OOO, your blocks are just so pretty. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your new pieces, you use the most beautiful fabrics in your applique.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grace looks good, but I really love the basket blocks. I love basket quilts. Looking forward to seeing this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blocks are SO gorgeous!! And you're so right, Grace looks much better with her mouth - that button is inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely blocks and I sure like Grace!!! Happy sewing! Daniëlle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great blocks Karen!! Grace looks like she wants to give someone a little kiss now :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  23. the button adds just the right touch! nice - and I love the border on that one basket blocks. Your colors are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karen, I love Grace's nose!!! That is so funny because after I received the pattern, I had it out studying it and told my hubby that I thought I might add a button nose after she was done. I haven't gotten there yet but now I know that it is just what she needed. Thanks so much for sharing the new photo. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Grace looks kissable now! Nice addition. Your basket quilt will be ready for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love Grace's mouth, she now looks complete.
    All the baskets are looking good also. That is going to be a great quilt.

    Merry Christmas to you

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the baskets. The piecing around the one really adds a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful baskets! Your fabrics and color selection is lovely.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  29. Karen I love your blocks. The blue in them is wonderful. It really pops. Soooo pretty. Love your little wallhanging too. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice, nice Karen! Love the baskets and parts so far.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That button really goes with Grace's face, she even has a chin! Great job on the baskets, I've been looking at them a long time now.

    Linda
    http://eatsleepquilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete