QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Friday, March 25, 2011

THINGS

I have not posted for several days.  Not that I haven't been doing quilt type things because I have.  Just not much of anything to show.  I spent a lot of time finishing the prep work for the basket applique project but no stitching.  I looked at quilt books trying to come up with an idea for fabric I have but no solid design yet.  I found designs I do want to try.  One is shown in the picture below.  The block is not complete.
My frustration with the block is the pattern.  I used a pattern from a Mariner's Compass program I have.  I did not realize that there are no patterns for the outer part of the block.  The part that makes it square.  I prefer to set the circle into a square and not applique it on.  I used Electric Quilt to make a pattern for the outer part but evidently my thinking about measurement was not correct because the piece did not fit.  So, I remeasured and think I will have the right size this time.  The fabric for the center circle is just laying under the Sunflower piece.  That will be the last step in making the block.

Another block I want to make is from a prim style pattern book.  It is also a circular design.  My frustration with the pattern in the book is that the pattern has thick lines.  How do I know what part of the line to trace?  It is that thick.  Do I trace on the very outer edge and hope for the best.  I don't want a block that doesn't lay flat because the pieces are the wrong size.  So back to Electric Quilt.  I am not very advanced in using the program as I don't spend the learning curve time to do so.  I have to have the book in front of me and follow the steps on the circle designs.  This is what I came up with.
The pattern in the book is called Sundial.  I was thinking red & white when I colored the block since this is the weekend the red & white quilts make their debut in New York City.  But I was not satisfied with my red fabrics in stash.  I am drawn to the colors shown in the book sample which is what I will probably make the trial block from and that is not in red.  I think the design would look good, though, in the red & white combo with alternate blocks being white where it is red & red where it is white now.

I want to share my friend Tee's quilt projects with you.  They are works in progress.

 I love chicken quilts so this one is a hit with me.  I am sorry that I did not get pattern info on her projects.  The chickens are fused on and the edges stitched by machine.
I do know that this is a Karen Stone pattern.  I the color selection that Tee made for this quilt.
The pinwheels were made using a special template.

I am glad that you stopped by for a visit today and hope you enjoyed seeing projects in the works.

Karen

29 comments:

  1. UAUHHHHH!!!. I love your works!!. Lovely rabbits...How much i love them..and of curse the walking ones aswell..
    I will try to find the patterns or in taht case i think the book.
    Could you please tell me where to find it????.

    Thank you in advanced...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For your Mariner's compass I can see two options.

    1) Check out Sharon Schamber's "Piecelique"

    http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%20stuff/images/Basic%20Piec-liqu%E9%20circle.pdf

    That gives you a 'whole outside' block.

    2) Measure it from the center on a corner, and think of it as a 'drunkard's path' quilt quarter.

    That would give you a 'quartered' look to the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those are some complex blocks! Too much for this girlie, lol. I have trouble making my 9-patches line up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chooks and the pinwheels.
    Good luck with squaring off that compass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the first compass block...that is a stunning block and pieced so well. Is it hand pieced or machine pieced? I have to admit that I used your handy-dandy link to Amazon to purchase the book to make one of those adorable walking rabbit pieces. Those are just wonderful...fabulous, but not too cutsie, if you know what I mean.

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cirlce blocks are amazing. I agree alternate red and white blocks would look striking. The rooster quilt is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a trooper you are to work with Mariner's Compass! I salute you! I'm terrified of it. Your red and white circle pattern is beautiful - you must keep us updated as those two progress! Love the Twister quilt - ordered 'Lil Twister a few weeks ago and can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks are so pretty. I have Electric Quilt as well, but don't spend much time with the learning curve either. I really need to, but trying to fit that in right now seems hopeless.

    I really love the last quilt. I have the twister ruler to do such a quilt. I think it is quite easy to use:)

    Hope you enjoy your weekend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the circle blocks Karen - right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Karen that is way more work than I could do - as for the one with thick lines, I would think as long as you stick to either the outer edge or the inner edge of the line you'll be ok. The red and white is really lovely!

    I love chicken quilts too - that's a great one! And the one below it is one I just admired today at my quilt shop - SO gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your compasses! I love fiddling in EQ7~ then I spend too much time on the computer and not enough at the machine. lol ;-) Tee's quilts are all lovely too. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I applaud your progress with these complicated pieced blocks. I have never tried the computer program for designing - maybe will try it someday. Looking forward to seeing your progress with the future blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI
    love your mariners compass block.
    My friend just used Sharon Schamber's method for setting circles into blocks and it worked perfectly.
    I think you can find it on utube.
    good luck!
    Did you take a Karen Stone workshop?
    She is coming to our guild and i so want to do a NYB.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blocks are amazing. How clever of you to redraw the blocks in EQ.

    Tee's quilts are beautiful. I really love the chicken quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful blocks Karen. I love the pinwheel top. I have made a smaller one and ready to make one the size of yours. They are so much fun to make. A very clever idea!

    Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for sharing your projects. I always enjoy visiting you-- to see what you are up to.

    :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see Ida gave you a suggestion for that block. :0)
    As always Ms Speedy delights with her photos. AND as alway I enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW you did a great job drawing up the block in EQ Karen!! I love your blocks! It's so hard finding that perfect red, I wish you luck in your quest :0) That chicken quilt is wonderful!

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've been busy girlfriend! The compass quilts are so incredible, but all those points give me a migraine! Plus, I'm a chicken to do one, so I guess I like the chicken quilt the best. hee,hee,hee.
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete
  19. Someone has already mentioned Sharon's method and I can second that...fabulous method for those outside circles. I recently did a post on Stash Manicure about it too if you would like to see...

    http://stashmanicure.blogspot.com/2011/03/beyond-dresden-plate.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your blog.

    Cut a circle out of the background 1" smaller than the circumference of the Mariner's Compass. Place pins at the quarter marks of both pieces and match up. I use many pins around the circle and then stitch by machine. I have found the easiest way to sew is with the BG on top.

    Hope this helps,

    Frummie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think red and white for the sundial would be perfect. If you can't find the right red in your stash, you could always buy some new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Circles! How beautiful. I can imagine a quilt full of these would be absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful circles!! Succes with making them into square blocks.
    Your work is lovely - I adore the rabbits!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great quilts made by Tee. You two are brave to make a NY beauty. Not me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blocks are great. Sorry you were having so much trouble with the measurements for the pattern pieces. Tee's quilts are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for these wonderful quilts.
    ciao ciao

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have only made one Mariner's compass block and I paper pieced it- That technique worked pretty well for getting it set in correctly.
    I love Karen Stone's patterns and some day I am going to make one of her quilts.
    You and your friend have created some lovely quilt blocks/ quilts.
    Have fun.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  28. lots of great show n tell in your post! I love the last photo using the Lil' Twister template. I've never thought about using just 4 squares and borders then putting them together! Nice!!

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier today ;)

    Love from Texas! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete