QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Monday, April 25, 2011

BACK IN THE GROOVE

We had a busy week with our "oldest & dearest" friends.  We took them to the airport last Friday afternoon for their flight home.  We hated to see them leave as we enjoy their company so much.  Our visits are a bit less active than they used to be as we are getting older.  We still manage to get out somewhere every day even if it is just out to eat.  We ate at some of our favorite restaurants and found a couple new ones.  We took a pontoon tour boat ride and enjoyed it immensely.  Saw lots of dolphin and manatees and rode through the lock at Port Canaveral.  Now we have to wait until mid-summer to see them again when we plan to vacation together in the Smokey Mountains.

I am getting back into the sewing mode again.  I have started a new project (even though I have many not finished).  The picture shows a sun that will be appliqued onto a block along with a moon and stars.  The design is by Jan Patek.  The sun is not meant to be perfectly round.  I still need to applique the center onto the sun.
I have been stitching on the "Spring Sampler" but I don't think you can tell from the picture how much is done.  I have been focusing on the top part of the sampler.  All the alphabet is done and the cherry baskets.  Could be apples but I think cherries come before apples.  The bee skeep  is stitched down but needs embroidery lines.  And the leaves around the bee skeep are finished.
I found a sewing machine at the local thrift shop.  It is a Kenmore probably from the 1970's.  It is in very good shape.  Came in a nice case and has all the attachments and a quarter inch foot.  Even the instruction book was included.  It is a free arm style and has 12 stitches.  I paid $40.00 for it.  The thrift store is run by a local church that uses the money for their food pantry.  I certainly did not need the machine but the money goes for a good cause.  And I will have a decent machine, along with several others, that friends could sew on when they come over.  I would have to check to be sure but I think I have seven machines that could be used.  I think I need to have a sewing party.
Time for me to get busy with some stitching.  Glad you took time to pay me a visit today.
Karen

25 comments:

  1. Let me know what time to be there for the party. I have several projects that could use some work!

    Glad you had a nice visit. Remember if you go on vacation with them and are coming up I-77.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sewing party sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, how I wish I lived close enough to come to a sewing party at your house . . . well, maybe I should say I wish you lived close enough. I'm not up for another cross-country move *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love anything Jan Patek (you already know that LOL)!! Can't wait to see this one. So glad you had fun with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sun looks fantastic, can't wait to see the rest! You have been busy with your stitching and it is looking great. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your friends and you have another trip planned. Your new machine looks sturdy. I just got a new machine last November but up until then I was sewing on a Kenmore I bought in 1969. I am keeping it just in case I need it for something and it is still going strong. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your header quilt. Your projects look fun. An extra machine is always a good thing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sewing party sounds like a blast, not sure I would get much sewing done though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice to visit with good friends. That's always nice.

    I have several projects that need getting done and it's starting to overwhelm me. I need to work on that:/

    I love your new header. Do you remember that I did that same quilt a couple of years ago. Yours is so nice:)

    Happy stitching

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your new header - your work is beautiful.
    I guess you can now say you collect sewing machines!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fire up the machines...I'll swing by and pick up Cathi and we will see what kind of damage we can do!! Maybe after sewing we could visit some of your favourite thrift shops...and then go to one or two of those restaurants...sounds fun doesn't it!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a find...lucky you...

    love your new project too...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Spring quilt in your header is great. Good progress on your sampler. What a bargain you found on that Kenmore. I wish I lived close enough to be invited to your sewing party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun...a new project and a new sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a deal on the new sewing machine! Love your header quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to find a good second hand sewing machine! lucky you having 7 of them!!!!
    glad you had a great week with friends...
    will look forward to seeing more of Jan's pattern being made by you!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness you have been busy!! I see the Spring quilt is all quilted and you are making great progress on the sampler and I LOVE the sun.

    The machine looks very much like the one I have that has been locked in a closet for 20 years or more. I should donate it (not even sure it works).

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, bring on the sewing party! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sun block is very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear you had a good time with your friends.
    Love the quilt in your header.
    Pretty nice looking machine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your sun-block - looks like fun to do. And a lovely 'new' sewing machine, looks nice!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  21. Plug one in, Karen! I'm up for a sewing party! And while I'm there, I'll look up some old friends down in Palm Beach county where we used to live. Sounds like fun, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your new project looks very fun! I don't think I've ever seen a Jan Patek design that I didnt' love. Your Spring Sampler is coming along nicely too. Glad you had fun with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your sun block! Nice machine...you're like a sewing machine magnet when you go to the thrift store...they must just know when you're coming. They know they'll be going to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made that sun and moon quilt. I also made the spring quilt you have in your header! I should get it out shouldn't I!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I traded in that exact sewing machine when I bought my Pfaff a couple of years ago. I bought mine in 1981. I actually wish I had kept it for a back-up machine. Love all your quilts.

    ReplyDelete