QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Monday, April 4, 2011

DESIGN WALL MONDAY AND A NEW FLIMSY FINISH

I am participating in Judy's Design Wall Monday.  You can visit others doing likewise by going here.  My current project on the wall is the Cake Stand Baskets in the strong Lancaster, Pennsylvania reproduction fabrics.  I have decided on the alternate blocks and you can see two of them in the photo.
I have added cherry blocks.  I found a pattern for the cherries in a Black Mountain quilt book that I have.  I enlarged the pattern a bit so that the cherries would better fill the space.  I will probably use the same background fabric for the setting triangles.  Then I will need to decide about the border.

Also, I finished another UFO project to the flimsy stage.
I was inspired by a quilt I saw on Temecula Quilt Company's blog July 3rd, 2009.  Just click here and you can see their quilt.  The number of blades is less on their blocks and I don't know what size they are.  Mine use 20 blades and the blocks are twelve inches.  I used fabrics from the Old Glory line plus a few others from stash.   I used a white shirting with a little red design on it.   I was going to make a larger quilt and cut out quite a few more blade pieces than I ended up using.  The Dresden Plates are hand appliqued to the background.  I changed thread color for each blade as necessary.  I put the blocks in the UFO closet with three left to applique and all the centers to do.  Finally, I got the blocks out and took time to finish the last three.  Then came the centers.  I debated as to how to do the center circle.  I was using an Eleanor Burns pattern for the plates.  She uses a lightweight fusible interfacing on the back of the circle.  You put the right side of the circle to the fusible side of the interfacing, stitch all around, cut a slit in the fusible, turn the circle to the outside, smooth the edges and then fuse to the block.  I tried it but did not like the fusible showing around the edge.  I used her method but hand appliqued the centers down and by doing that, was able to pull the fabric so that the interfacing did not show.  The leftover blades caught my eye and I began laying them one wide side to the top and then wide side down.  Back and forth.  I discovered that they would work for the border and that is what I ended up using.  The back is pieced, the top put back in the UFO closet to await time for machine quilting.

Enjoy your day and I hope you get some sewing time.

Karen

41 comments:

  1. The cherries are perfect for the alternate blocks!

    I love your dresden plates - I remember when you started that project. Great border.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - love the dresden plates - yikes - you are much more ambitious than I! Great idea for the border too - it looks just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making me crazy with the Lancaster Colors project; it is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first quilt is going to be stunning...and the cherries make it sing! BUT your Dresden is magnificent...love EVERYTHING about it...the fabric, the border...just EVERYTHING!! You've outdone yourself!!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Dresden quilt is beautiful! I love it!! Can't stop staring at it! Of course, now I'm always looking at how I would quilt it! Lol! I, too used Eleanor's pattern for a Dresden quilt and the fusible does show. I really had to tinker with them to get the fusible not to show. I also machine appliqued the centers with a blanket stitch and heavier thread. Seemed to hide it pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the cherry blocks with the baskets. The color is perfect!
    The Dresden looks like a huge project. You must be so pleased with the finished top. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so great to get to the flimsy stage. I like the border you came up with...a lot of cutting though. But now it is all done and just the fun quilting left.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cherry blocks between the baskets! And, the Dresden!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work on your Dresden. Nice choice of fabrics.
    Love the baskets and cherries! Fun and inspiring. The colors are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilts! I can't believe you changed thread color for each blade.....talk about tons of work...that is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the baskets on your design wall.

    I love your Dresden quilt top. The fabrics are perfect and it turned out so nice.

    Somehow I can't become a huge fan of fusible. It helps with certain things, but just not a big fan of it showing as you weren't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the chicks in your header.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cherries. I did a ME quilt years ago for my DD and the cherries were one of my favorite parts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Dresden quilt is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the blocks in the top picture, great colour choice!
    Also, your UFO makes a lovely quilt:))

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the cherries. They dance well with the basket blocks. The patriotic blocks are lovely as well. You can't go wrong with red, white, and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cherries are delightful! And your Dresden Plate quilt - exquisite! Absolutely wonderful - what hard work you have put into it - thanks for sharing - very inspiring~!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Cherry Quilt is going to be a stunner! Love the Dresden quilt, too!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  19. Get that back out of the closet, box it up and you have my address. It may take me awhile (and you know why) but if it sits in the closet it might as well sit here!

    Did your box arrive today?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh geesh...forgot to even mention I do like the cherries on that cute little number!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just love those Dresden Plates!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the Cherries blocks...adds a lovely charm....couldn't be more perfect!
    Beautiful Dresden quilt nearly finished..love the colours.
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE the dresdens! Patriotic colors are always lovely in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Always love, love, love dresdens. First block I ever made. :)
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your Dresdens. It is a block I really enjoy seeing and making. And I really like your border.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are amazing lately! Look at you go with all these fabulous projects. That dresden is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The cherries are perfect for the setting squares....and that Dresden plate top is amazing.....love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really love the Dresden Plate quilt and think your idea for the border was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Both quilts are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The cherries are perfect Karen!! This is going to be such a pretty quilt.

    I love the dresden quilt too :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Two great projects! Love the cherry baskets!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The cherries are yummy!!!
    And I love your Dresden Plates - beautiful fabric choice!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  33. the cherries are perfect in that little quilt.
    Love your dresden. I want to make one so badly.
    You are so smart to use the leftovers in the borders. Great thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Karen,Just looked out back and the rain is really coming down.Hope your doing well. Wanted to say that I love the new header on your blog. Also the Dresden Plate is beautiful. Your such an inspiration to me . I am finishing up some paperwork thenit is back to the machine. I am determine to have MY LIFE back.Have a good day.Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Adore those cherry blocks!!
    So cute.
    great new ufo finish

    ReplyDelete
  36. The cherry blocks are just perfect for the alternate setting! I have that Black Mountain book too - now to find it... Love your dresden plate quilt too, and what a great idea for the border!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Baskets, cherries, and Dresden plates - all my favorites. Wish I could stay home from work today and start a new project - you always inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your Dresden Plate and what you did with the border!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Goodness gracious! I came to catch up, but had no idea how much youve done! Incredible work!
    I love the chickens! You know me....
    Bt i love it all!!! You are somethng else!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh Karen the cherries are so perfect with the baskets - I love it! And I love your flimsy, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete