QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Friday, April 8, 2011

DOLL QUILT TOP DONE

I finished the doll quilt top that I posted about yesterday.  I left off the final plain border that was on the original.  It did not seem to do anything for the quilt and my piece was getting bigger than I thought it should be.  Mine ended up about 22 inches by 25".  I have since learned that the E-Bay seller has added the size of the original and it is about 19 inches long.  So mine is bigger.  I am satisfied though.
I got so frustrated trying to figure out the last round of on point squares.  If I kept the row not as wide, I was ending up with too many squares or diamonds instead of squares.  Wider, too few.  I finally just went with less squares.  It looked like the maker add in spacers to make her row fit.  The original piece is so worn that it is hard to tell if it was background fabric or a print.  I went with the print.  I did figure out that the maker used a scrappy round as you can see a few of the fabrics and they aren't alike.

Karen Mowery from Sew Primitive Quilter is working on the same project.  I am anxious to see what she comes up with.  She is much better than me at working with Electric Quilt.  I am sure she will be posting soon about the project.

I gave a link to the original doll quilt that is listed on E-Bay in my previous post but will repeat it here.  It is in bad shape.  Will be interesting to see what the final bid is.

Glad you stopped by.  I will be back in the sewing room today working on a UFO.

35 comments:

  1. Well done Karen!! You got it bang on!! VERY close to the original! It turned out very sweet!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen! It is so darling. I love the shirtings and the pinks, how you did the scrappy squares in the outer row, and especially love the peachy or apricot solid sashing fabric. Won't it look adorable quilted. I am also interested in what the final bid will be for the original. I am madly working on mine. We will have, as you said, little twins :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so darling! I love that you are making this and cannot for the life of me figure out why someone would sell something their great grandmother made! I would come back and haunt them in their dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's adorable, Karen. Pat yourself on the back - well done! :-) woohoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It turned out so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a fabulous job recreating this little treasure!
    LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very cute and you did a wonderful job in re-creating it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's just darling! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job reproducing it. The fabrics you used together even give it an antique look. Do you have a doll bed to adorn with it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! It's been fun seeing you figure this out. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it fun to make your own copy of an old quilt? I saw one at an auction - it sold for more than I wanted to spend, so I pieced one for myself as soon as I got home! I really like your rendition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these small quilts. Yours is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, your quilt turned out lovely! I just love those colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is wonderful. Glad you worked out the squares in the border.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so adorable. I love how it turned out. Fabric choices are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! Still loving the pinks and browns right now...

    ReplyDelete
  19. it turned out perfectly~!!~
    LOVE it~!

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  20. It turned out wonderfully!! Oh yes...keep me posted on the final price paid on E-bay...you can make yours look same! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. You made a wonderful primative quilt. I appreciate that you shared you success and your problems. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it, you did a great job. It looks like the original just had bits chopped off to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very well done Karen, a little treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love every bit of it Karen - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Karen, Your little doll quilt is wonderful - and I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you did a wonderful job recreating this old doll quilt. It really is a cute piece :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Karen, Thank you for sharing your darling doll quilt and finishing touches you created!

    Carolyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful, karen! I think you did a great job! I really love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Karen your doll quilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful your oak leaves quilt!
    kind regards, Marijke

    ReplyDelete