QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Friday, April 1, 2011

NEW PROJECT AND A UFO

I started a new quilt working from stash.  I was inspired by a quilt that Dixie of Dixie Doodles is working on.  I asked if she would mind if I did something similar and received a very nice e-mail with her permission.
The baskets are displayed on my design wall and none too neatly but you get the idea.  I am trying to decide on the blocks for the empty spaces.  I am using the Lancaster style reproduction fabrics.  Dixie's basket blocks are from a trade with friends so I think she has more variety in the fabric used in her blocks.  Stay tuned.

In the meantime, I have gone back to a UFO quilt project.  I have shown it in the past.  I get bored with sewing on it and have to put the project away for a while.  Now I am on a push to complete the top.
I have quite a bit of the last section together and should be able to finish the main body of the quilt today.  The pattern I am using is called "Through the Years".  It is from a Quilters Newsletter but I don't know what issue.  The pattern is by Penelope Tucker.  She was inspired by an English chintz quilt made in the 1790's.  The fabrics I am using are all from stash.  Lots of reproduction fabrics including some from the Smithsonian lines.  The center is done using the broderie perse technique.

A good friend gave me a cute chicken recently and a pin cushion made from part of an old quilt.  The chicken is weighted in the seat area and sits nicely on a ledge.



I changed my header photo to a small Easter piece I made a couple years ago and have shown on my blog previously.  The pattern is by Buttermilk Basin.

Back to stitching.

Karen

20 comments:

  1. I just love that chicken, and the pincushion is really cute! Can certainly understand why you would have to put your quilt aside now and then. It sure is going to be pretty when you finsih? Baskets are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the little chickies hard at work Karen!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the chicken looks very elegant and has a very good attitude .. ;D

    I very like your UFO and the baskets.
    I'll be watching the progress. :)

    best wishes
    kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new header - very sweet.

    The UFO is fabulous - you'll have it finished very soon. And, I love your new project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your UFO. Chicken is darling. Love the new header too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those Lancaster colored cakestand blocks. I can't wait to see how the top takes shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Through the Years is spectacular. Won't you feel a sense of accomplishment when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw her pattern and just love her version and yours. You could always do a log cabin alternate block or maybe a nine-patch or even a sixteen-patch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your "Thru The Years" ufo quilt is amazing! Love the chicks in your banner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love both of your projects. The UFO quilt is very visually pleasing. What is it about those white squares that make a quilt sparkle....LOVE it!!

    I wasn't going to make a suggestion for the blank areas on the basket quilt but wool posies just popped into my head.....:0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Through The Years is going to be gorgeous, Karen. Very labor intensive but soooo worth it!

    Lots of great stuff happening at your place. Love your new header photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE these quilts Karen - and your new header! That chicken is so cute, and the pincushion too. What a nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love what your doing Karen...Nice to have something new and inspiring to do...
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Karen, the basked quilt blocks are great. Love those colors and prints---my favorite!

    Love both of your projects and thanks for sharing.

    :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dixie tried to encourage me to do the baskets. I love them! Yours will be terrific.
    I like your ongoing quilt top. It's going to be a classic!
    The chicken is adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilts you show are always great, but the new header is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh Karen , this ufo is just beautiful....I am so happy that your going to finish this quilt it is amazing. please keep us posted with pictures as you get more rows done....I just love this quilt.

    love that little pincushion, nothing better then baskets is there???
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really look forward to seeing your new project come to life. I so adore your UFO on the design floor, that is going to be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your projects! I love them all. Baskets are among my favorite, and who knew a chicken could be so darned cute?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your Lancaster baskets! It will be so fun to see what alternate blocks to use. The chicken is adorable and that pincushion is too cute!

    ReplyDelete