QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote Payne. The design is from an older book "Two Hour Christmas Projects".

Saturday, April 16, 2011

PROJECT UPDATES

I thought I would share with you an update of projects I have been working on the past week.
The first is a quilt top that I had already completed when I last posted but I forgot to take a picture of it.  The pattern I used is called "Oak Leaves" and is a Fons & Porter pattern.  The triangle units were tricky to get sewn in the correct direction.  I sewed and unsewed a section at least twice.  The quilt was to have another round of triangle units around the outside border.  I decided to leave it off.  A lot of the fabrics used in the quilt are the brushed flannels.  I was having a bit of problem with the half square triangles getting kind of wonky.  I had cut to size and did not allow extra for squaring up.  That is because this is a UFO that has been in the closet for a good while.  And cut out back before I started cutting the units larger and then squaring up before joining unit to unit.  I wish I had done hand applique but I was following the pattern directions.  The applique is done by fusing and then buttonhole stitching.  The appliques are soft because only the edges having the iron on fusible.
Next is a wool on cotton sampler.  All the wool parts are fused down and the embroidery lines marked for the flower and berry stems.  All need the stitching done.  I followed pattern directions and am pleased with the method of getting the embroidery lines marked.  The pattern was in reverse and in four parts.  The directions say to cut a piece of freezer paper to certain measurement. Mark matching points and then trace the embroidery lines onto the freezer paper.  Iron the freezer paper to the back of of the background fabric.  The design is no longer in reverse when you go to trace the embroidery lines.  I placed the fabric with the freezer paper ironed to the back on a light box table and traced what I needed.  I also used the light box and attached freezer paper pattern to lay out my wool pieces.  I used wool for the alphabet instead of doing embroidery as the instructions call for.  Tedious cutting but I am pleased.  The pattern I am using is by "All Through the Night".  Lots of wool to stitch down and embroidered stems and branches to do.
I showed this applique wall hanging in my last post.  I am in the process of doing the applique of the pot of flowers.  I need to applique down a couple more flowers and then do some pieced blocks before finishing the applique.  There will also be two rabbits at the bottom.  I am using a Jan Patek pattern.  The information about it is in my previous post.

We have company here for a week and are having a good time. Right now, my husband is playing golf and our good friends have gone to the beach.  I am staying home to do some sewing.

Have a great day.  I am off to sit in my sewing chair to work on the pot of flowers.

Karen

55 comments:

  1. Oh my that first one is beautiful. Love the warm and natural colors in it. Have fun sewing while everyone is out. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your projects! Oak Leaves turned out beautifully. The wool projects is going to be amazing, and the bee skeps are soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Oak Leaves are wonderful, and what a good feeling to get this ufo turned into a quilt, Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your projects are wonderful! I love the Oak Leaves. I can understand why you would enjoy this with turned under more formal applique but it sure looks good with the buttonhole stitch around it. more country, I guess. It is lovely and as usual...inspiring!
    The sampler is really sweet. I can't wait to see those bees embroidered in.
    I'm working on my walking bunny today. Enjoy your stitching time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like Oak Leaves is a big hit! Very graphic. And, great fabric selections.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Fons and Porter quilt. I see where you could get switched around on those HSTs. Love the wool applique, too. Good job working on those UFOs!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always I love, love, love your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how you inspire me!!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful artistry. Artistry. Yes. I think that captures all the workmanship, fabric choices, thoughtful placement and overall magic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that wool sampler project!

    Everything looks super, Karen. My goodness you've been busy...even with company there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Karen, just stopping by to say hi and glad to see all the pretty work you are doing. construction is going well and I am sure once I can find my machines and things that are all stacked on top of each other life will change for the better. Going to be gone to St. Augustine for a few days to be away from all the mess. have a great week. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. the oak leaf looks wonderful I remember when I saw that in the magazines years ago, loved it!
    have fun with the applique and peace and quite!!!!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful projects. I really love the Oak Leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your Fons and Porter quilt. You did a beautiful job. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, I love, love, love you Oak Leaves quilt....it's beautiful and the colors are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your oak leaf quilt. I've always wanted to do one of them. It turned out really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your oak leaf quilt is wonderful! Enjoy your quiet time with your hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love, love, LOVE the "Oak Leaves"~!!!!!!!!~ such warm mellow colors and the piecing compliments the beautiful applique very nicely~!

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always admired that version of Oakleaves! Lucky you have the quilt!!
    What fun projects. The wool piece is going to be a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOWZERS!!!!! As always...I love it all!! I wondered where you've been email wise...now I know. Enjoy your company.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All your projects are so inspiring. I am glad the Oak leaf project is a UFO. I was going to be astounded if you got all that applique done and guests too!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have that oak leaf pattern and a kit I bought ages and ages ago. I haven't even attempted it because I thought working with the brushed flannels and also the fusing. Your quilt is lovely and certainly reminds me why I fell in love with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Oak Leaf quilt is beautiful...another wonderful quilt! Way to go with your UFO's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an inspiration you are!! Such lovely eye candy! Now I need to get off the computer so that I can whip up some of these lovely things too!!
    Take care!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karen, everything looks wonderful, but I especially love the Oak Leaf one. You certainly have been productive!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with Paulette - you are an inspiration to me too! Thanks for sharing all your lovelies! It's nice to know that working on 4 or 5 projects at the same time is so normal :).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you are having a good time with friends :o) Love what you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the colors in the oak leaves quilt, it will be wonderful for fall! I like fusible applique with the blanket stitch around it and yours looks great. I have not tried just using the fusible just around the edge, that is something I have to try. Ths sampler is going to be so cute, nice job on that, too. And I love the one with the bee skeps on it, too. Again, the colors are so pretty! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are just beautiful! Love the Oak Leaves. I don't know how you're getting anything done with company there!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Busy, busy girl! You're getting tons done. Love the Oak Leaves...the border is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooo the oak leaf quilt is beautiful and I really LOVE the wooly sampler!! Lots a wonderful things are happening at your house :0). Bob tried to go golfing last Wednesday and got the cart stuck in a snow bank....how's that for a devoted golfer? LOL

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Oak Leaves quilt is wonderful...like all your projects. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really love your oak leaves, what a lovely quilt that's going to be. The sampler is pretty neat too, fun to work with wool I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Warm and cozy Oak Leaves. You have many pretty projects to keep you happy. Enjoy your sewing days.

    ReplyDelete
  34. As usual, you've been busy, busy, busy with wonderful projects. You're an inspiration to so many!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi,
    Love the Oak Leaves Quilt! You are one busy quilter. Your projects are always lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  36. HI Karen! I also made the Fons and Porter quilt...only 4 blocks though, and it is yet to be quilted...yours is so very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your quilt top!! Gorgeous! Perfect for autumn and finished before fall too!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Grazie Karen....lavoriamo con il cuore...
    bacio
    cri

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your work is always so beautiful. I love the little sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yor Oak Leaves are beautiful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I remember falling in love with that patten way back when! Yours is gorgeous! And I cannot believe you cut out all those little wool letters! That is adorable! You keep so busy with beautiful things! Have fun with your company.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your Oak and Leaves quilt is wonderful. I think it looks good without the additional border.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love your Oak Leaves quilt! The design is fantastic and the choice of fabrics great, well done for finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. what a great "Oak Leaves" !!
    love it !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your oak leaves made me smile... you know I have de cluttered my sewing rom and guess what I found in all the patterns I had... the same pattern ...smile.. and now I see your version and I think its even prettier!!! :o)
    And I love the progress you are doin gon your JP quilt.. love it!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh, your oak leaves quilt is stunning. Excellent job.
    Those look like some tiny pieces on your sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oak leaves and reels is one of my 'someday' quilts - yours is just a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love this project! I think I prefer hand applique to machine, but it takes a few projects to find which technique a quilter prefers!

    ReplyDelete
  49. You have been a busy bee there Karen!! Lots of stitching! Love your "Oak Leaves"! Looking good! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hello Karen, I enjoyed reading your post and seeing your projects...love the Sampler....HS triangles....can be difficult...I learnt the hard way....with my Famers Wife Sampler Quilt....Warm Regards, Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love your Oak Leaves quilt. That quilt has been on my to-do list for years. Maybe one day . . .

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh they are all wonderful! But I LOVE that oak leaves one! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi! I found your blog through "Quilting Bloggers." I'm up here on the panhandle halfway between Tallahassee and Pensacola.

    Your oak leaf quilt is gorgeous! I didn't know yet that wool could be fused down. It doesn't shrink?

    ReplyDelete
  54. i love all of these projects. Very beautiful!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete