QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

ANOTHER Basket OF SUNFLOWERS TOP AND MORE

Call me crazy.  It's okay.  I have made up another  sunflower basket wall hanging.

 Several months ago, I was flipping through "Crossroads" by Ginger Cookie Company.  I chose two projects from the book and prepped the applique and did all the stitching.  On another run through the book, I realized that there was a sunflower basket pattern that the one pictured used fabric for the border that I have in my stash.  Not knowing what I wanted to do with the fabric, I prepped the wall hanging for the applique.  The crazy part is that I made such a similar basket of sunflowers last year.  Here is a picture of it.
Both are wide wall hangings.  The newest one is even wider than the first.  The patriotic basket of sunflowers is complete.  I don't know what I am going to do with the newest one.  I got an idea of adding pieced blocks below and making it sofa size.  The width of the current piece is 50" wide and 18" long.  I don't know if I have enough border fabric to accomplish that.  I will have to check that and then make a decision.  I just don't feel that I need both.  Maybe a gift.

I made the fifth Collector block.  You can read in my previous post about the pattern information and see the first four blocks.  This particular block is called "Pot of Flowers".
I did have a problem with making the background on this block.  I traced the pattern parts onto freezer paper, ironed that to my selected fabrics, and did the piecing.  I did not come out with a nice square block.  So, I drew my own complete pattern onto freezer paper, made tick marks for matching one part to another, cut the pattern apart and worked from there.  Better success the second time.  I have two more heart blocks to make that will have different applique designs.

The last photo is the first block I have made from Lynda Hall's "A Little Porch Time" book.  Most of the quilt will consist of applique.

A request.  I have three different photo programs on my computer but none of them have the ability to straighten an object in the photo.  I know there is one that does.  I just don't find one on the internet.  A free one would be great.  I would appreciate knowing the name of what photo editing program you use if yours has that ability.  I seem to often have a slightly tilted picture.

Hope you have some time to sew this evening.  Enjoy!

Karen

34 comments:

  1. I use InfranView. I can micro rotate my pictures -- straighten them so the top of the quilt is parallel to the top of the picture. This of course does not solve the problem of the quilt appearing wider a the top than the bottom. Only holding the camera parallel to the quilt top will do that to my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help with the photo editing..I barely do anything to mine but use Zoom-ex browser and sometimes Picasa3..I can ask DH if you don't get ideas though.
    As to your pics...I love the new sunflower wallhanging! Very sweet!
    And you are really moving on the Collection series. Love the pot and plaid flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy, busy girl...everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen. I can't help you with your photo editing. I'm just barely computer literate. LOL I just wanted to tell you that I think your sunflower wall hangings are both so cute. I love them. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use photoshop, but it isn't free and I hardly know how to use it:)

    Hahaha would it surprise you if I told you I bought the book "A Little Porch Time" back in March?! I wans't sure when I'd start it but loved it and had to buy the book.

    Both of your sunflower blocks are awesome! You knew you liked it right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only way I can get a straight picture is to either pin it to a design board and take it straight on or stand on a chair and take it straight down. Very high tech!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mean there is a program to fix pictures like that? I just re-take the picture! haha...High tech I am NOT!! But I am loving these blocks!! I am such a sucker for baskets!! Ok and snowmen...and stars and...and crows...but that's it...oh and apples!
    Better go!! Happy stitching!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, I use Irfanview also. Has all the edit information and it's free to download.
    Love your baskets with sunflowers, just keep making them. They will make a gorgeous collection on one wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love both of your Sunflower quilts. Maybe you could add some pieced borders..medallion style if you want the newest one a bit bigger?
    I love the collector series blocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore your blocks. You do such beautiful work. I am queen of the wonky block pictures. Yours look good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love all your applique.
    Your a busy one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kick myself for not purchasing that crossroads book....when you mentioned the sunflowers in an earlier email I was trying to think of the name of the book!
    Those are gorgeous!!!!! What have I got for a swap?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just amaze me with how much
    you get done. Your blocks are great.
    Where does the collectors series come from?
    Keep on stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the newest sunflower basket!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot believe how much you can get done. I need whatever vitamins you are taking. LOL!

    Those sunflower blocks are fantastic. I really like your idea about making it for the back of the sofa and I hope you have enough fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use Google's Picasa. I organize my photos and edit them ... Including straightening....and I can upload them directly from there to my online album.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love sunflowers, the applique you did on yours is great. Gosh, I would keep both. Good idea to make one a sofa throw.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I use photoshop elements but it's not free. You must really like the sunflowers to make 2 of them. I think they are so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Before I forget, I'll tell you about my photo program. It's free, it's called PhotoScape, get it at photoscape.org. It does let you level pics, and bonus, it has a grid while you do it on the whole picture so you can level exactly where you want. You can crop, brighten, filter, just about anything. Great program. And if you have any questions with it, you can always ask me, lol.

    Now the blocks. I LOVE the sunflower baskets. I think adding to the one to make a sofa size quilt is a wonderful idea, and why not make it scrappy? You could even make the border scrappy.

    The heart block is darling, I love the pinstripes. The one from Lynda Hall's book is great too, such great piecing! I so love seeing all that you make!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can never have too many sunflowers! I have a collection of various pieces and continue to collect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your sunflowers blocks. Why can't both be wall hangings? I am sure they will look great together.
    The applique and piecing blocks are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful blocks. Love all things baskets. I use Picnik...it's a free photo program and you can straighten your photos with the Rotate feature. It's the only program I use.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all those sunflowers! congrats on all the finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your newest basket quilt!
    Great pattern & fabulous fabric choices.
    You've got some really beautiful blocks in the works too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Karen.. download PICASA.. free and just wonderful!!!
    And as always.. you have a lovely and inspiring blog!! THANKYOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. summertime sun flowers. love them.
    I have seen a book that has patterns for narrow quilts to put on the foot of the bed. Maybe that is something you might want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I use picasa it has a grid/STRAIGHTEN OPTION. NOT SURE IF THIS WAS ALREADY SAID I DID NOT READ ALL THE COMMENTS. THE BLOCKS LOOK GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Karen! Gorgeous basket blocks! I love them :o) I wish I knew a program to help you, but I don't really edit my photos at all. I need a better program/camera.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the patriotic sunflowers, they look like they are sailing in a boat.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You can never have too many sunflowers, and yours look fantastic! Really love your pot of flowers block. Several of my friends are making ALPT, and this is such a wonderful quilt. Looking forward to seeing your version!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I use iphoto and I can straighten photos, and often do!
    I love your sunflower project. The last one is terrific. Did you use paper engligh piecing?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi, Love your quilts! I recently discovered your blog site - and i'm amazed at how similar our tastes are!!! I have also done the sunflower quilt myself, thought about the flag one, but yours is wonderful....i may have to reconsider it!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love all of these projects!! Its good to just giveaway something you enjoyed stitchings but have no use for :o)

    I didn't read all the comments but I use Infraview too and love the ease of it.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  34. OK, so I have been bad and didn't get my spring wall hanging out again to share with you. Now I need to get my sunflower runner out like you just made from Ginger Cookie Co. That is one of my favorite books. I love so many projects in that book. OK, maybe tomorrow I"ll get those out and snap some pics!

    ReplyDelete