QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote Payne. The design is from an older book "Two Hour Christmas Projects".

Saturday, May 14, 2011

CHRISTMAS SEW-ALONG AND BIBLE BLOCK FOUR

First of all, I will share with you a photo of block four of the Bible Quilt.
It took me a while to figure out what the black strip going from top to bottom of the block was.  I finally decided it is the blocking of Adam and Eve from the Garden.  I used Seral paper to transfer the embroidery lines for the words on the block.  Seral paper, if you are not familiar with it, is sort of like carbon paper.  It is a waxy transfer paper and comes in different colors.  It does rub off, so I did the embroidery before the applique.  I don't have any more blocks prepped, so will need to do that before I can proceed further.  My plans are to do block five and then do the rest one block a month.

Today is the Saturday for the Christmas Sew-Along.  I am getting a late start because an old work friend came to visit.  We had a good time.  She sews but is not a quilter.  I prepared the parts for a wool applique pin cushion and showed her how to do that.  She went home with the kit including the crushed walnut shells for stuffing the pincushion.  We had lunch at Mimi's and made a quick stop at Hobby Lobby.

I am cutting the parts for a Santa quilt from a Joined at the Hip pattern called "Santa Salute".  So far, I have parts only that I could show you as I haven't gotten to the sewing part.  And that would not be very interesting.  I can show you a picture of the quilt pattern though.
The pattern is similar to an Uncle Sam quilt I did a while back.  You can see the Uncle Sam quilt here.  A long quilt.  It should be 37" x 50" if I do the border the same as the pattern shows.

To the participants of the Sew-Along, I hope you are having a fun day.  I have visited a few and am going back now to take another look.  Then back to the sewing room.

Karen


18 comments:

  1. Your Bible block is cool... I feel terribly guilty since I've not even started on Block 1 yet. I'm planning making a summer project...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the block, and look forward to seeing your Santa take shape! Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Bible blocks so far and cant wait to see them all joined together into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Love how they are looking!
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Bible lock on teh brown background. Its fantastic!
    Your patriotic Santa is one of my favorite Christmas quilts!! It goes together like a breeze too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great block!

    I like your pattern choice for the sew-along, I look forward to seeing you work on this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're right on that bible block, can't think of any other reason it would be there. Nicely done! I have to try Seral paper. The Santa pattern is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bible block is great, as are all the earlier ones you showed us. I remember your Uncle Sam, and look forward to seeing your Santa now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same Santa pattern; I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Bible block is really pretty, and the Santa pattern looks like a fun one to sew :-)
    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So far you are being very good getting the blocks done. I must say it did surprise me to see Christmas in a blog title :0) I guess getting done sooner will be nice instead of stitching away the night before LOL.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always enjoy stopping by your blog to see all that you are working on. I love your Bible blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another wonderful block. I can't even think of Xmas but maybe seeing your progress will get me going.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great block - I love the brown background with that apple tree! can you tell me whole pattern you are using? It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Bible quilt is coming along nicely. The Santa quilt looks great - just the kind of quilt that I like and will look perfect with your other Santa quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Bible quilt is coming along nicely. The Santa quilt looks great - just the kind of quilt that I like and will look perfect with your other Santa quilts.

    ReplyDelete