QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Friday, May 20, 2011

PINCUSHION ROUND ROBIN COMPLETE

Finally, my wool crazy round robin piece is complete.

I tried to get a picture without glare and was not successful.  I can see part of myself in the bottom of the picture.  The piece is framed under glass and I think that is the problem.  I thought I had a picture of the piece the way it looked when it came back to me before I did some finishing work but I don't.  The piece started out with just the squirrel on the upper left corner.    No embroidery at that time.  Paulette of Sweet Pea Creations blog added the cat and basket on the lower right corner.  Then Lori of Humble Quilts added the pumpkin and sunflower in the lower left corner.  Finally, Kaaren of The Painted Quilt added the scarecrow in the upper right hand corner.  Each person did some embroidery on their section.  Then back to me for completing the piece.  Finally, I took time to do it.  I added three little leaves to the squirrel area, added some grass, and some embroidered stitches over some wool edges on my section that had not been covered.  Lori framed her piece and I liked that idea.  You can see her framed wool piece here.  The wool base was 8 inches square.  I could not find a frame at the craft store that was that size.  In fact, frames for something square were not to be found there at all.  I finally found the perfect size frame at a thrift store.  I just removed the picture that was in it and popped in the wool piece.  For $1.50, I think it was a bargain.  Now to decide where to hang it.

I found the book "An Enclyclopedia of Crazy Quilt Stitches and Motifs" by Linda Causee to be most helpful in doing decorative stitches.  That is because it gives a diagram of the stitches and shows needle placement and numbered steps for doing the stitch.  Further back in the book, combinations of stitches are shown.

I have finished doing some wool applique on a wall hanging but it still needs borders.  I will be able to show that to you very soon.  Back to my sewing.

Karen

22 comments:

  1. Hey...it turned out GORGEOUS!! I wish mine was square instead of being round...I like the idea of framing it!! Well done!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really beautiful! Could that have been framed without glass? I sometimes do that. But maybe you wanted the glass left in there.

    I also have that "Encyclopedia of Crazy Quilt Stitches and Motifs" along with a few others. Another blogger I follow does her crazy quilting posts each Friday and she got me inspired...when I find the time:/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way it turned out! Those wool crazy projects look like a lot of work! I love how they look though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome!! My frame came from the thrift store too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, I like glass over wool, keeps the dust bunnies out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks awesome, Karen! Another SUPERB finish!!!

    I like the idea of framing it as well. What a bargain!

    Seeing your finish makes me feel like getting my wool out again...hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! What a great idea to frame it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love it Karen! Looks so nice in a frame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it - what a perfect collaboration! I love it framed too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is SO beautiful and I like the frame, too! And Lori's is wonderful also. I wonder if the other ladies had the spring and summer theme?!
    Happy quilting, Cisca

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving that piece Karen. It looks great framed and what a bargain too.

    Looking forward to seeing your wool project you mentioned,

    Shazy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo they all did such a great job on your piece!! This is something you will always treasure. I love the idea of framing it :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun project, and it turned out so well. I always frame needlework without glass -- you do need to clean the piece occasionally, but it will display much better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a treasure, I think it is beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love it framed! You all are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everyone did such a great job on your prosject. It was an greate idea to frame the RR. Its gorgeous!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's fabulous - I love it. A wonderful treasure shared with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome round robin finish! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. it's very cute and i think framing it was a nice idea. the frame seems to suit it quite well despite it's humble history.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete