QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Sunday, May 15, 2011

SANTA SALUTE (PART 2 OF THE CHRISTMAS SEW-ALONG)

I completed the "Santa Salute" quilt top. The pattern is by Joined at the Hip.   It is approximately 39 inches wide by 50" long. I have had the pattern on the shelf for quite some time.  Time to do something with it.  
I started cutting the parts late Saturday afternoon.  Lots of cutting measurements.  I kept track of what each piece was by marking lightly in the seam allowance on the back of each one the corresponding alpha letters assigned in the pattern.  It saved me a lot of time by not having to remeasure a piece to make sure I was grabbing the correct one.  I sewed the inside of the quilt Saturday evening.  Easy sewing.  The border was made today.  Now to find time to quilt it and I will have yet another holiday quilt either for my own decorating or a gift for someone else.

I am happy to have used only fabric from stash and have been doing that a lot this year.  Still my stash does not look like it has gone down any.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

Karen

22 comments:

  1. What a handsome Santa! I would have a difficult time giving him away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely quilt.
    I have the same problem: eventhough I use many fabrics from my stash, it still seems to grow... :oS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Santa quilt turned out beautiful! And marking all the pieces in the seam allowance sounds like a great tip to remember :-) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks fantastic Karen. I can't believe how quickly you got him finished.

    Funny how that stash never seems to go down???

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's looking great. You dot him done so quickly it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's a good one! Marking in the seam allowance is a great idea...I always have a zillion post it notes stuck on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh love that border, really adds to the quilt I think!
    must be those nine patches!
    happy to hear your using a lot of fabric from your stash as well, yes I have the same problem here, the closets do not seem any lighter!
    I consider myself lucky to have the fabric collection I do though I can keep making quilts!
    have a great week
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first, I thought this was appliqued. Cute pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This will be really, really cute! I've been trying to stick to my stash, too, this year. Doing a pretty good job of it! Like you, though, it doesn't seem to be shrinking too much. Once I get my crazy UFO list under control, I'm going to start working on some serious stash-buster projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How satisfying to get another UFO well on it's way to being finished. You have done so well at using fabrics in your stash :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great santa! I love the flag but especially the feather tree.
    Wow, aren't we all sewing from stash lately. I wonder how the fabric companies are feeling about that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your santa looks great! I love anything santa and the flag just tops it off perfectly. Have fun quilting it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is adorable...love this pattern! You are going to be so ready for Christmas this year...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think he turned out great. I am ready to pull my patriotic quilts out now. It's almost Memorial Day after all! Funny how you can use from your stash forever and it never gets smaller. I'm having the same problem!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot believe you got it done! I think Santa never looked better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so darling - I love it Karen, you are just too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun playing with Santa at this time of the year! I hear you about Santa isn't really helping for your stash reduction. Well then you may want to make more of him!?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Santa is lovely. It looks like a real fun project!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Again....darned cute from your hands!

    ReplyDelete