QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Vacancy".

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

BIG BROWN AND MORE

There was a time when I said I thought saving selvage edges from fabric and incorporating them into a quilt was just going too far.  Well, this is the second time I have been playing with selvage edges so I guess I have proven myself wrong.  Below is "Big Brown".



I have been saving the edges for a good while now.  Last year, I sewed some of them to squares of fabric but have not done anything with them.  I was on "The Selvage Blog"  a  few days ago.  There is a quilt on the sidebar that is called "Big Red".  There is also a link to "Online Quilt Museum".  It was on this site that I saw a version called "Big Brown".  The only difference in the two is that one has used red fabric and the other used brown.  I pulled a piece of dark brown from stash and began working on the piece.  I used a lot of the more interesting words from the selvage edges in the center part of the quilt though many are on the borders too.  And I used lots of dotted sections.  Have you noticed that the selvage edges on some of the fabrics have become more interesting?  For instance, "Fruitcake" had colored bell shapes instead of the dots.  Another had colored butterfly shapes.  I hope to see more of this in the future.  The older edges have just the manufacturer named on it.  Later ones included combinations of the fabric line name and/or the designer's name.  And some the year.    I think the earliest edge year I had was from 1992.  I set all the edges from reproduction fabrics to the side for using later on though a few made it into "Big Brown".  The quilt was quite easy to make.  Now it will be set aside to wait its turn for quilting.

A few days ago, I finished piecing "Monet's Wedding Ring" from Judy Martin's "Scraps" book.  The book can be seen in my last post and is available from Amazon here.  Your local quilt shop would appreciate you purchasing it through them, so that is another option.
I had intentions of making the queen size version but ended up doing twin size.  The quilt just seemed so busy to me.  The size is 66 inches by 90 inches, if I remember correctly.  So that is still good size.  It involved lots of cutting and lots of sewing.  Mr. Log Cabin is doing what he can by standing on a chair and holding the quilt top for the photo.  I can tell you that the illusion of rings is better able to be seen in this little picture.  Just looking at the quilt in person, I have a hard time seeing it.  The design would be good made in lots of tiny florals, if you are so inclined.

It is late, so that's all for tonight.

Karen

37 comments:

Dawn said...

I know what you mean about the selvages - I threw them out for years - what was I thinking? I have a stash of them now...Big Brown is pretty cute!
I love Judy Martin books - all great investments.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Both Big Brown and Monet's Wedding Ring are fabulous Karen!

Mary said...

Karen, I love both quilts. Big Brown is my favorite though. Great job.

LynCC said...

Big Brown is *really* neat! I also really like Monet's Wedding Ring. Nice effect and probably a whole lot easier to make than the tradition double wedding ring.

Colleen said...

How cool is that? And I love the rings in the quilt... what a neat quilt!

Janet O. said...

I've always said I'd never make a selvage quilt. Now you have me worried!
One thing I have noticed about selvages is that many of them are getting wider--not necessarily the tight weave, but the lack of fabric design. That can be maddening when you are just a hair short of the fabric width you need, but I guess it is a good thing if you make selvage quilts! Big Brown looks very good.
The wedding ring quilt gives the impression of a digital picture of the design, enlarged. Very interesting!

Anne Heidi said...

Both quilts are really nice- I love how Big Brown shows off all those fun selvages though. I haven't started saving those- now I think I might have to.... The wedding ring quilt looks like a digital photo with low resolution- just like someone else said- that's pretty cool!

Elzaan said...

The Big Brown quilt is amazing! Wonderful idea.
The wedding ring quilt is very well made. I can believe that it took a lot of time in preparation.

QuiltSue said...

I might have to start actually looking at selvedges now rather than just cut them and throw them! I still can't see myself doing anything with them, but Big Brown looks great.

sewprimitive karen said...

Those both look just amazing! Big Brown is especially wonderful.

Stephanie said...

Two big accomplishments. I have bin of selvedges and really want to play. Big Brown is very striking. Love your wedding rings. Very soft and pretty.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

I love those little edges too. Your quilt is stunning and perfectly constructed xx

Connie said...

I have yet to make anything from the saved selvages but I hope to sometime. Some of the Susan Branch ones have quotes in them as well which I think is special.

*karendianne. said...

"There's no place like home." How TOTALLY neat to read that in there, Karen. What a delighting creation. I surely smiled at reading Big Brown. How NEAT of you!!!

Sue said...

Karen, your Big Brown quilt with the selvages is really neat. I've seen other bloggers quilting with them. Question. Is it hard to sew those little things. Any special method you use? Yours turned out great as usual.

I love your double wedding ring and it doesn't look too busy to me. It's a beauty! I made one for our daughter six years ago and had it done in time for her wedding five years ago. Yours again is very pretty!

Marie said...

Wow, love the selvages I think it is really neat! The weeding ring quilt is amonng my favorite patters. As usual I love all your work my friend! HUgs, Marie

Cheryl said...

Karen, I love the wedding ring quilt. It does look like a lot of cutting and piecing though. Wow, you are fast!

Dandelion Quilts said...

I love the effect of those brown X's...really eye catching.

Quilt Hollow said...

WOWZERS!!! The brown quilt is stunning with use of selvage edges!! Your wedding quilt is also a beauty! As always..you are Speedy and work magic on your quilts.
I tried sending an email last night but it may have bounced back to me. Let me know if you got it. It was an update on me and to tell you I got my snaps.

Lori said...

Your selvage quilt is so fun!!

The wedding ring looks like a lot of work. I don't blame you for going with the twin size. It sure is pretty.

Yvette said...

Both quilts are fantastic!
That ring quilt would be pretty in tiny florals, I can picture it.

Darlene said...

Love both quilts - fabulous!

paulette said...

That's it!! I'm starting to save selvages!! Big Brown is lovely AND you Wedding Ring quilt is STUNNING!! LOVE IT!! You are probably the most prolific quilter I know...and all are quilts that are masterpieces!! Just 'yesterday' you were showing us the fabric to make the Wedding Ring quilt and NOW it's finished!! Takes my breath away!
P

Allie said...

I love your Big Brown! What a great idea! You sure are good at saving your selvages....I too like how they're doing them now. The Monet's Wedding Ring is wonderful - I can see where it would be hard to see close-up, but it is beautiful!

Crispy said...

I still don't get the selvage thing LOL. When you mentioned how the information on the selvages have changed over the years reminds me of manufacturers making flour sack fabric pretty for women.

Crispy

Sharon said...

Fabulous, I love Big Brown. A lot of work in the Monet piece, great finish!

Myra said...

Your Big Brown is stunning Karen! I will have to start saving up my salvages now... 8-)

Your Monet's Wedding Ring is looking wonderful! too bad it is hard to make out the rings on it in person...

Quilter Kathy said...

It is so cool! It's like an optical illusion to create the curves...neato!
Love Big Brown...it's interesting that the selvages can now be good advertising for fabric companies...they might even continue to make them more creative and appealing to us quilters!

Dixie said...

Your selvedge quilt is my favorite so far. Really like your wedding ring quilt too - its really pretty!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I really like Big Brown! I've just recently started saving selvages so I don't have enough for a project yet. I saw recently someone had sewn a bunch of them together to make "fabric" and had recovered her sewing chair at her machine with that fabric - really cute. blessings, marlene

Purple Pam said...

Your Big Brown quilt is great. It is a selvage quilt that I really like. I give my selvages to friends who are saving them to make things.

Libby said...

Never really considered a selvedge quilt . . . now you've got me thinking *s*

Linda said...

Both quilts are just gorgeous!!! Great job saving and making something with all those selvages!!

Carrie P. said...

Yes, selvages are fun to look at these days. I like to read the names of the fabrics.
Both of your tops turned out great.

Nyima said...

Whatʻs not to like about a chocolate quilt!
Great pattern for the selvages; an idea worth stealing.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Too funny! I just bought some purple fabric to make a Big Purple!

Barb said...

love that selvage quilt - the brown is awesome with the dots!
the wedding ring quilt looks like a lot of piecing! congrats on getting it done.