QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Pond Racing".

Saturday, July 9, 2011

JULY CHRISTMAS QUILT-ALONG

It's the second Saturday in July.  Time for this month's Christmas Quilt-Along.  This time round I am not doing a specific Christmas design quilt.  I am working on a queen size quilt that will potentially be a Christmas gift.  It is a lighter quilt than I normally do.  A somewhat pastel look but more to the darker side of pastel.  Here are the fabrics I cut with the exception of the lighter tone on tone polka dot I chose for background.
The quilt pattern I am using is called "Monet Wedding Ring" and is in a book by Judy Martin titled "Scraps".  The one I am making is shown on the cover on the upper left side.
I spent parts of three days this past week cutting out parts for the blocks and then finished the last of the background fabric cutting this morning.  The design is formed with two different pieced blocks and one plain background block.  I made a sample this morning of each of the pieced blocks and am showing you those now.
It doesn't look like much yet but at least I am sure the parts are cut to the correct size.  Now I can start zipping them through the sewing machine.

For information on the Christmas Quilt-Along which takes place once each month, click on the Christmas tree on the right side of my blog.

Back later with my progress.

Karen

33 comments:

Joanna said...

Beautiful fabric and block. Looks like you are working with lots of small pieces.

Joanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Impera_Magna said...

What lovely fabrics... and that's a cool quilt pattern! Looking forward to watching your progress!

Angela said...

What a neat pattern! I love the fabrics you chose! Just my style! :o)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Interesting pattern, it will be fun to see this together. I browsed you blog and just enjoy your prim designs.

Shakerwood said...

At least you stayed on the darker side of pastel. I think it will be wonderful put together. I never would have thought by looking at the finished quilt that there would be so many small pieces.

QuiltSue said...

I think this is going to be absolutely stunning.

Janet O. said...

What a different take on the traditional double wedding ring. Beautiful fabric choices. Will follow your progress with great interest.

Purple Pam said...

Very nice color palette. Cannot wait to see more of it.

Wonky Girl said...

I call those "dusty" pastels. Your selection will make a lovely quilt.

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Looks pretty so far! Love your fabrics!
xx, shell

Reenie said...

Oh..you have whetted my appetite to see more!! That looks wonderful!!

Colleen said...

Oh my! That is going to be beautiful, Karen!

Kathie said...

thats going to be a beautiful quilt
nice fabrics, sometimes its just fun working with a different color palette. isn't it? what a wonderful gift!
Kathie

Crispy said...

What a great looking block!! I'm looking forward to seeing it in your fabrics :o)

Crispy

Cheryl said...

I love Judy Martin books, but don't have that one. This intrigues me! Will these blocks actually give the impression of a wedding ring quilt? Beautiful, romantic fabrics you have selected.

bekahjane said...

I have been enjoying your blog and quilts this morning..cheers

Myra said...

Wonderful fabrics for this interesting project Karen! That looks like a Wedding Ring I could handle in a big way!!! lol! I'm thinking I am going to have to go and look for that book!!
Your start on the blocks look great! I look forward to seeing more! 8-)

Rosa said...

Beautiful fabrics.That book looks wonderful.I`ll looking forward your progress.

Happy quilting and week!!

Carrie P. said...

It is going to be a great quilt. It is fascinating how the pattern looks circular far away.

Sheila said...

Hi Karen,
Your new project looks lovely. The fabrics are really pretty.

Annette said...

Oh wow! I love that quilt pattern. It will be so awesome.

Linda said...

Love the scrappy look already!

merumo said...

Yummy fabrics! Can't wait to see the progress of this one, too!!

em's scrapbag said...

That book looks like so much fun. Your quilt is going to be lovely.

Bietje said...

Hello Karen, thank you for visiting my blog and comment on it. I was curious about your blog and decided to follow it. I specially like your Let it Snow quilt. Can you tell me where I can get the pattern?

deb said...

Oh its going to be beautiful!!!!! love the pattern!

LeKaQuilt said...

Beautiful fabric! I'm looking foreward to see moore of your new quilt. Take care !

Dawn said...

Someone is going to be very thrilled with this xmas gift! Beautiful fabric choices for a fun pattern.
Thanks for sharing.

Robert said...

About four years ago, I did Monet's Wedding Ring quilt as a wedding present for my son. It was all scrap with the same background. Went together with no problems. It will be beautiful when you get it done.

Just came acrossed your blog - enjoyed reading it and will bookmark it.

Robert Kent, in (hot and wet) northern Iowa.

joycem said...

Monet's Wedding Ring is one of my favorite Judy Martin quilts. I'll enjoy watching your progress on this quilt. Love your fabric choices for it.

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow...this is an ambitious project, but a gorgeous one!

Nines said...

How cool is that!?