QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Monday, August 22, 2011

A GIFT AND PROJECTS IN THE WORKS

I received a surprise gift from Mary at Quilt Hollow.  A mini Chinese Coin quilt.  I have admired this style mini quilt on some various blogs including Mary's.  It was delightful to find one in my mailbox.  My kind of colors and a welcome addition to my quilt collection.  A big thank you to Mary.

I have had difficulty getting back into the stitching and quilt making mode since returning from vacation.  If you read my previous post, you will remember my eye problem that I had to deal with on our trip.  Not much fun.  After arriving home, about all I did was look at blogs, quilt sites, look at E-Bay antique quilts, playing games on the computer.  I finally burned out on that and settled down to stitching.  I worked on projects I took on our trip but was not able to stitch on because of my eye.

The first two are identical.  These are smaller size pieces meant for pillows but I plan on making them into wall hangings.  One for me and one for a gift.  The pattern used is by Sandy Gervais of Pieces From My Heart.    The pattern "December".  I think there is a different pattern for each month of the year.  This is wool on cotton style applique with some embroidery.  I like the little Nativity on the angel's dress.  The angel's head looks a bit like a creature from outer space.  Prim style for sure!


Next I completed the stitching on "In God We Trust".  The pattern is by Shawn Williams of Threads That Bind.  Her website appears to be closed but you can find her patterns on several websites though I can't find this particular one.
The piece is shown in a barn red wood frame on the pattern picture.  I am planning on adding a red fabric border and doing minimal quilting.  Easier to store when I am done displaying.  It can be a year round piece but I think It is good for August/September when the kids head back to school.  The fabric part of the design is fused and stitched with embroidery floss in a prim type stitch.  The pattern says the piece measures eight by twnety inches.
I finally spent some time in the sewing room yesterday evening and a bit this morning.  I am cutting out basket block parts.  I will share that with you later.  Have a great day and stop back for a visit again soon!
Karen

33 comments:

  1. That is a sweet quilt Mary sent you. I love those colors.

    Adorable projects you are working on.

    I have had a major slump in my sewing and hope to get my mojo back soon. Sometimes life's trials have a way of keeping a person down a little:/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice gift from Mary. The stitcheryis lovely, and the angels are so sweet!!! I like the style! I'm popping over to the site of Sandy Gervais.
    Happy quilting, Cisca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're doing better and you're able to do some stitching. Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how cute those angels are! Very prim and very sweet :o) Glad you are doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful little quilt and your other hand pieces are just stunning!

    Shazy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet little quilt.
    The agels are wonderful - makes me smile.
    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful of Mary to send you the quilt. It is beautiful.

    Thanks for sharing all your wonderful projects.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. that little 'In God We Trust' sampler is very cute and perfect for back-to-school time~!!~

    congrats on the new little quilt~!
    love coin style quilts both big and small . . .

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen,I am so sorry to hear about your eye problems. You have really been thru it the past couple of years. I hope you are recovering and resting. What a sweetheart that Mary is! Very cute little quilt!
    That sampler is right down my alley. I love it! The vintage ones you showed are fantastic! Little girls must have been different back then. My granddaughter could never sit still for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your new little quilt! Mary is such a sweetheart!
    I'm so glad your eye is better and you are stitching! Love the 'In God We Trust' piece too! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quilt from Mary is so wonderful. I have made a Chinese Coins (am donating it this week for a raffle), but I've never seen it as a mini. I love it!
    Your stitchery is all so very fun! Love the primitive style--you are so good at capturing that look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable quilt, lucky you. I adore the stitcheries, very, very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the coin quilt,I know you will ejoy having that in your collection. I love your hand work. Need to help Ray PU loose stuff around in case of storm. Hope it just passes us on by.Glad your eye is better. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that Chinese Coin quilt - I really must make one! And the embroidered pieces are wonderful. I'm glad your eyes are better. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very cute those little Angels are! And I adore that Chinese Coin quilt...the colors are marvelous. Glad you are back to stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a SWEET gift from Mary! I'm glad you're able to be stitching again, hon, I love all your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great gift you got from Mary.

    Your angels are lovely and I'm glad your eyes are now allowing you to sew again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a priceless gift from Mary! Glad to see you back at work...I mean fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a priceless gift from Mary! Glad to see you back at work...I mean fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well for someone who hasn't been in the quilting mode, you certainly have gotten some love projects done :0) That was very sweet of Mary to send you the coin quilt too.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful little gift from Mary. She is the most thoughtful! I have plenty of Sandy Gervais patterns and even have made a few. Don't have that one, though.

    Threads That Bind website is still up and running and the stitchery pattern is on there. I think the website has changed. It's www.threadsthatbindonline.com I love their stuff, too. We sure have similar tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really love your new projects! The new quilt in your header is fabulous. Really love that you designed it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Darling angels. I love the nativity, too *s*

    ReplyDelete
  24. The little Chinese Coins quilt is adorable! I like your angels from outer space too (especially the nativity scene). :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute Christmas wall hanging. The angels actually remind me of a Mexican nativity I purchased for my mom. The pieces all had rod with balls sticking on the ends of them to represent their halo. Probably 4 or 5 around the top of their head...much like your angels.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know I am behind in blog reading but wanted to comment on your header picture: what a great quilt. Is it of where you live? lived? I really like it and am always impressed when someone makes up something like that for themselves. I have the ideas just not the talent.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I read about your eye troubles, I am long overdue to have my eyes checked. I've had floaters for years, no glasses, but my eyes are really going now. I do believe I have had flashes on occasion. I always ask people in the room if something flashed or if it was just me. Best I book an appointment.

    Lovely quilt from Mary, that is a great pattern and as always, your projects are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your gift quilt is wonderful. I love that pattern - so simple but so striking. Your new projects are very nice and it is always good to see what you are working on. Glad you are back to quilting. I hope the eye problem is resolved?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful mini quilt..Oh I have floaters too, aren't they so annoying!
    I too had a really bad one, but over time it seemed to ease off a little, but I don't think they will ever go away..
    Good to see you stitching again..
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. I adore your fall sampler!! It will be a wonderful autumn wall hanging.
    Lucky you recieving Mary's coin quilt- it is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sweet little coin quilt. Love the sampler!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad to read you are back to sewing again. Your little angels are darling.

    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  33. So sorry to read about your eyes! So glad that things are getting better! What lovely projects! I like Sandy Gervais! She had a quilt project in one of the Quiltmania's that I'm hoping to make time for! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete