QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Monday, August 29, 2011

OAK LEAVES AND TURKEY FEATHERS

I am still jumping from one project to another and not finishing anything.  I am going to try to rein myself in.  I am looking through some project bins and bagging up at least two and giving them away.  I have lost interest in them as they are not really what I am into right now.  The applique quilt in progress shown below is one of the projects stored in a bin that was waiting for attention.  I still like it very much and did some work on it over the weekend.
I had the center and turkey feathers stitched down plus the stems for the flowers.  I can see in the picture that the one feather is not situated quite as it should be but it is staying.  After all, it is prim style.  My hold up came with the petals on the flowers.  I got part of the petals for one flower stitched and was having trouble getting them to be spaced correctly.  I was seriously thinking of changing to a one piece flower.  I put the project away to give myself some time to think about what to do.  That turned into a long bit of thinking time.  This weekend, I finished the petals for one flower and started the second.  Again, I was tempted to change the flower style.  Yesterday evening, I just started stitching and made myself continue to completion.  As I was almost done, I thought of a method I could have used to make my spacing problem go away but it was too late by then.  Now the block needs triangles in a dark brown added to put the block on point.  Big oak leaves will go on those triangles.  A pieced border is next.  Then another applique border but I am contemplating leaving that off.  The wall hanging would be large enough without that border.  And there are four more of those flowers on the border.  I could leave them off with no problem.  But I don't think I want that large of a quilt.

The pattern I am using is from "Country Paths" by Jan Patek.  There are two more quilts in the book that pique my interest.  Well, maybe all three that are in the book besides the one I am working on.  Smack my hands and get me back on track!

I had a chance to meet Lori of "Humble Quilts" fame this past Saturday.  Lori is on a cruise as a helper for Bonnie Hunter.  The ship leaves from a port about twenty miles from my house.  Too good of a chance to meet her in person to let that pass by.  We spent an hour together and it was very enjoyable.  I knew I would like her.  Our style quilting is so similar.  I became a follower of her blog almost from the time she started it and we have had a lot of contact via computer.  She is just like I thought she would be.  I can imagine her and Bonnie are having a very fun time on the cruise.

I discovered free designs on a blog this morning for applique blocks that use hexagons in interesting ways.  The blog is named "Patchwork Aguilera' INES" and is written in Portuguese.  I have Google Translation but even if you don't use a translation program, it is worth a look.  Go here.  Scroll down and look on the right side for the free block of the week section.  There are twenty blocks.

Nothing else newsworthy at the moment.  Have a good day and come back soon.

Karen


36 comments:

  1. Your block looks great! Love your fabric choices. Don't see any wonkiness myself.
    I met Lori and New York, and Bonnie when she visited our quilt guild. They are both lots of fun.
    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun that you got to meet Lori,isn't she fun?
    I love your block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you sound just like me...jumping from one thing to the next and rarely finishing. I love your applique block, just my style. Hopefully we'll both get on track and finish something. I keep telling myself...FOCUS>>>FOCUS!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the block! The different colors in the petals give it a special 'something' so I am glad you perservered! What a lucky girl you are that you got to meet a bloggy buddy :o) Maybe someday our paths will cross too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That block looks very interesting. I like the layout and the pattern.
    Great to meet up with friends - especially one that works on a cruiser!
    Thanks for the blog name. Will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I met Lori in NYC - isn't it fun meeting blogging quilters? So glad it worked out for you.
    Love your block, came back and looked at it a couple times - I like the fabric combo as much as the design.
    I confess to many projects 'resting' until I regain interest...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting that you would have this Oak Leaves and Turkey Feathers block up today!! I just brought the mail in and the book "Country Paths" was in it (okay, LOL, along with several others LOL). I have already started drawing out templates. I LOVE your block...if it needs a new home, I'll be happy to send you my snail mail addy.... ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this block Karen, and you're right, you have a prim style so don't worry about placement - I love the slight variation, it just has more life to it. I really like the flowers, but I can imagine what a pain they are to do. The colors you're using are wonderful. How fun to meet a fellow blogger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the flower petals being "not perfect". It adds to the folk art that makes Jan's quilts so wonderful to look at.

    I'm right there with you with bouncing all over the place. I can't seem to focus lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your block! Real flowers aren't always perfectly spaced, I think it looks wonderful!
    No hand smacking from me!~ I love seeing what you are up to, your work is gorgeous.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely block, the autumn colours are so nice!
    I'll go to see the free pattern, thank you for the link!
    Happy stitching, Cisca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great block. I like the flower placement. Looks good to me. I know what you mean about running from one project to another. Since I have beeen retired, that is all I have been doing, it seems. I am getting stuff done, but I think I could get a lot more accomplished if I could focus better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was lucky enough to visit Lori's home a couple years ago! Wouldn't it be fun to go on the cruise with her & Bonnie? Maybe I can take one of Bonnie's classes some day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your block and the fabrics you have used (as always). I think the one that you say is a little off looks great. Seems to go perfect for this block.

    That is so nice that you got to meet Lori. I follow her too and she does seem like a sweetheart. It's nice when you get the chance to meet people you've been blogging with for so long :)

    Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. gosh....who needs perfection when the block is as beautiful as yours just as it is! I just love the colors of those petals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this makes me hope that fall is in the air!!! Love those colors!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome block. I have not seen that one before. thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the block. I like the colors of it very much. How is your eye doing. Hope it is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun that you got to meet Lori - one of the perks of this blogging thing for sure *s*

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how your piece looks. Gwen Marston said "If every block is exactly the same, just make one block and be done!" I like the slight differences in pieces, it gives them interest. Lori is a sweetie, I met her while in NYC this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the differences too that way you will never be bored and I never knew a quilter that was bored.YOur work is always nice. Have a great week. HUgs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great block! I am glad you didn't reject this project.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love your block! I am not one to say anything about focus...I am jumping about on different projects like I am walking on coals, LOL!! I sure would love to meet Lori...glad you got the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your applique block you worked on!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i believe it is absolutely gorgeous....

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you block looks just fine, I really had to search to find out what wasn't lining up right :0)

    Skipping around from project to project is ok. You are at least getting a little done on many projects instead of getting nothing done LOL.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonkiness? I don't see it in this block, it is wonderful just the way it is! Love the colors and fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This block is stunning!
    I love your color & fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really like it...love the petals...petals on a flower aren't spaced all nice and perfect...I think it's just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How fun to meet a blog friend in person! I think we all need to be reined in. However, my philosophy is that I do what makes me happy, and that may include never finishing certain projects! Ok, lots of projects.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your block!! How cool that you got to meet Lori in person!! I always think its so much fun to meet bloggers in person.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How fun to meet Lori - I know they are all having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think your flower is great. Wouldn't change a thing. You know we are our own worse critics.
    You amaze me with how much you get done. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love those turkey feathers, they're wonderful! Don't you just know Lori and Bonnie are having fun on their high seas adventure; glad you arranged a meeting, I bet it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Every time I read your blog, I am inspired. And I love that you are bagging up projects that no longer appeal to you; I have one in my stash that I keep thinking I'll finish up one of these days. I've finished up projects for someone else; maybe she'd like this one of mine. Again- good inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Another favorite! And prim is a bit more relaxed than say Baltimore Album, don't you think? It looks great!

    ReplyDelete