QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Saturday, September 24, 2011

THIS AND THAT TEST BLOCKS, REJECTS, ETC.


Recently, I went through a metal basket sitting on a fabric shelf looking for pieces, parts, and blocks for a fellow blogger's quilt project she is planning.  It is like visiting old friends to go through the basket.  And it amazes me how much is still stored in the basket after giving a bunch away.  I thought I would share pictures with you while I contemplate what to do with all of them.  The pictures were done quickly and just some cropping done.  Some could use some straightening but there isn't time for that today.


The above are log cabin blocks minus windows and doors.  They are blocks that did not make it into the two quilt tops I made.  You can see those here.  I didn't care that much for the two lower blocks as I thought the plaid for the roof should have been cut on an angle.

These are blocks that never made it into a quilt.  I thought I should have used a variety of backgrounds.  Had I made three more, I would have had enough for a small quilt.  I am not sure that I have any of the background fabric in my stash any longer.  I think the pattern for the stars was in a Judy Hopkins book.


A test block.  Well done but never put to use.


Another test block never put to use.  I like the design.  I should make more of these.

I do like making these stars.  I Just never did enough for a quilt.  Maybe it should go on the back of a quilt somewhere along the line.  Well, I did do enough for a quilt but using a dark red background fabric.

This is a test block.  I was trying to remember what the schoolhouse block design was that my little quilt group made for a member that was a school teacher.  Each one of use made a schoolhouse with a different block on the side.  This is as close as I could remember what the block was like.  I no longer had the pattern. I have not made any more of these.



A test block for a quilt that was never made.  It is fairly large.  It could be a medallion center if the mood ever struck me to work on the project.


I was playing with this block.  Just seeing how I liked the background fabric and deciding if I wanted a whole quilt using it.  The center needs the circle appliqued down.  I have made many of these blocks that have gone into a couple quilts but I never went further using the background fabric.



Ah, the angels.  I made these when I was first starting to get into folk art style applique.  I thought I did a poor job of getting the angels put together and was going to have to do some serious trimming.  I abandoned the project.  Now I think I could trim them and put them into one of my folk art sampler block style projects and be happy with them.  Jan Patek fans will recognize these as "Lisa's Angels".


I was still early in the applique stage when I did these blocks.  One more is pictured below.  I had trouble getting smooth curves.  Especially on the fruit bowl basket shown below.  I can't find the patterns so I suppose I gave them away.  Five blocks is not the right number for a quilt though I suppose I could make pieced blocks and fill in.  The eagle block (Hey, Lori, another eagle.) would make a nice center for a quilt.  I can't remember who the pattern designer is on these.  Anyone know?

I like the watermelon center fabric.  I am thinking it is either the same fabric shown on the pattern sample or very similar.

That's all the pieces and parts I am going to show today.  I do have more for a future post.  Hope you enjoyed my little jaunt down memory road.

Karen

29 comments:

  1. You make the best quilts! My all-time favorite of your projects is the log cabin houses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty blocks! How about using them all in a scrappy style sampler quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing all the blocks, Karen. The angels are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to visit old friends like that. I'm sure you will find a use for them someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely blocks! Especially the ones in the second picture. I think one background fabric is fine, why not use sashings in a different color or alter the blocks with squares (the same size as your blocks) in a lovely 'contrasting' color and place them on the point (sorry, I'm having a bad-English-day... I hope you understand what I mean)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These lovely blocks could all go together into a "kitchen sink" type quilt. A sort of home for wayward blocks. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If any of them are small enough, you could always turn them into pincushions....then there are pillows....table runners....frame them and hang....they are too pretty to just put back on the shelf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got some great orphan blocks there! If you ever need help using them up, just let me know! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blocks and I'm sure you can find a place for them. I made 1 of the log cabin blocks and after that didn't want to make a whole quilt of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a nice assortment there!! Enjoyed the viewing. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun to see yours. I am collecting all my practice blocks and orphan blocks in a big pile to someday make what someone above called a "kitchen sink" quilt. I made a tiny one once and it is so charming. A bigger one would look great, too, and could be used as a utility quilt at home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had such a cool assortment of orphan blocks. As you are describing each find my mouth is watering. You have some beautiful stuff here! What a treasure trove!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think anyone suggested using blocks on bags. I have seen denim bags made from recycled skirts with blocks appliqued on. They were really cute. A school house block bag would make a great gift for a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed taking that little trip of the past creations/rejects/test blocks! We all have them!!
    I especially love that block with the blue floral print!! Never seen such a block! Must look for the pattern!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A kitchen sink quilt just doesn't seem to be your style Karen, but it could be great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really loved looking at your blocks. My favorite one is the eighth one down. It reminds me of a sunflower. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I had a metal basket filled with such gorgeous blocks!! Well done Karen!! Now you just need to turn them into quilts! :o) I know...I know...that's the hard part!haha
    P

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely to see all those old friends. Did they not shout at you that they want to be in a quilt....? Mind you, sometimes it is a good idea to pretend to be deaf..
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Each and every test block I would be framing!!! You have the PERFECT color choices in those blocks (be still my heart!!!) How many times I tell myself to just make "one ofs" and frame it...you've already done the work! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love all your spare parts! I have many extras in a pile also, but I like yours better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love those log cabins! That is a project firmly on my someday wish list. Have you ever thought about making a quilt from your leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved the look through your "remnant" bin, ha ha. Such lovely blocks you have, especially the album blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your "watermelon" also and esp'ly your star blocks. Thanks for sharing Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great orphan stash you have! Those last five applique blocks are just too good to languish in a basket. They want to live in a quilt...your house or mine, it doesn't matter, but they're begging for a finish. can't wait to see the next batch!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a trip down memory lane for you! They are all gorgeous blocks and I'm sure you will find a purpose for them. I have an orphan block I thought could become the cover of a block holder...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your blocks are gorgeous!! When I make a block I'm not happy with, I toss it - maybe I should keep them around and use them! These would make wonderful potholders, placemats, you name it. They're all gorgeous enough to use, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Karen,
    Your work is beautiful! If you can think of which Judy Hopkins book that star pattern is from, I would really like to know. I have a picture of my Great-grandmother holding a quilt she made using that star pattern, and I would like to reproduce it, since the quilt is lost. Thanks, Karmen

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great idea for a post! The blocks with one or two pieces would make great small wall hangings or framed art too!

    ReplyDelete