QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

WAR AND PIECES

Sometimes a problem quilt block can make you want to put away a project and forget about it.  That is what happened with "War & Pieces".  I did not have a lot of applique experience when I worked on the blocks.  I struggled with two of the blocks but finally got them stitched.  Two blocks went together fairly well.  Then the fifth was not going well.  I will show you the completed blocks first.

Look, Lori.  An eagle!  Lori from "Humble Quilts" likes eagles in quilts.  I struggled with the block a bit but worked through that and got the block done.

The second block was easier than the first one.

I had trouble getting the parts of Mrs. Lincoln's dress to get in the right place and be covered by the layers above.  The whole block was a struggle but it is one of my favorite blocks from the pattern, so I could not give up.

I thought this block was a lot of work but it was fun to select the fabrics.  It went together easier for me than the Lincoln block.  I suppose it was because I was getting a little more comfortable with how to get the parts in the right place.


Then I blew it with this block.  If you are familiar with the pattern, this block is not in it.  One of my good quilting friends who does excellent applique, designed the block.  There are two very similar blocks in the quilt.  She left one out and designed one with a soldier on a horse, a cannon, and the tent.  She felt the quilt blocks leaned toward a more northern view of the Civil War so the soldier is in a Confederate uniform.  I liked the idea and she gave me her pattern to use.  I stitched the tent onto the block and then started to add the horse and soldier.  The one edge of the tent that was to be covered by the horse was not ending up covered.  So I took the block apart and made a new tent.  This time, I made the pieces for the right side of the tent lots wider so I could move it if necessary.  I was using an overlay and trying to get the pieces into the correct location.  Then another problem with that darn tent and the horse.  I don't remember what the exact problem was but did not want to take out all those stitches a second time.  I put the project away and moved on to something else.  Over a period of time, I have looked in the container thinking I should give the project away but I just couldn't part with the blocks I had worked so hard on.  At some point, I took the tent off again but no more progress on the block.  I pulled the container out again recently and decided to bite the bullet and fix the block and move on with the project.  I had to fix the flag on the tent pole and that is done now.  I will cut off the overhanging tent edge after I get more stitched on the block.  I know now that I do not  like working with an overlay.  I like to just place the pieces and not worry if they are in the exact place as the pattern.  I am ready to stitch the horse & soldier down.  Wish me luck.  I will have four more applique blocks to do after this one.

The pattern set is by Barbara Brackman and Karla Menaugh.  I read that it is out of print.  You can see a picture of a finished quilt on Barbara's blog here.

I hope you find time to stitch today.

Karen

35 comments:

  1. I'm cheering you on! You have put so much into this, you deserve to feel the satisfaction of the finish, don't ya think? It will be wonderful! Can't wait to see your completed top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blocks! The fabric choice and settings are beautiful. I like the Liccoln block the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot of work in those blocks. I'm sure you'll sort out your misbehaving horse and finish that block in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be so neat when you do get finished with it. I'm glad you didn't give it away. Nothing wrong with letting a project span lots of time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those blocks and the finished quilt will be awesome! I like eagles too, but haven't done much applique, so have never done one. I have a pattern that looks easy that I might make one day. Can't wait to see your progress on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blocks! You're getting there! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love this pattern! Haven't been able to find it to purchase yet, but I'll keep looking!! You hang in there!! It's gonna be just gorgeous when you finish!
    Blessings,
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your blocks are just wonderful. I am so glad to hear that you do not like working with an overlay as I really don't either. Everything seems to move on me anyway!

    Thanks for sharing these with us. I really do like the horse and the tent. It will be so nice to see these all together too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing a wonderful job with the applique, your blocks are beautiful. This will be a stunning quilt, well worth all the effort you are putting into it. I like the tent block, hang in there, you will get it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny you should mention the eagle. I looked at my sidebar and saw this block and clicked on first thing...because of the eagle! LOL
    I love the blocks you have so far. I really hope you keep forging forward. It will be worth it!! You don't have that much more to go either!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, all of your blocks are just wonderful. I am so glad you dug them out and started on them again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think ALL your blocks are perfect. This is going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Each one is just gorgeous!! I love the horse block...it is my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This will be a fabulous quilt! Keep up the good work...sometimes it is so hard to finish a project that gives us grief!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it those blocks. I agree it is hard at times to finish a project that we struggle with and yet I find it's so rewarding when we do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are really wonderful quilt blocks. Your work looks really good. Kudos to you for reworking these till you are happy with them. The horse image looks perfectly shaped to me. What a special quilt this will be for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your perseverance is really paying off! I love your blocks! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am working on this quilt also and have had a very similar experience. I got frustrated with Mrs. Lincoln's dress and put it away. I thought about giving it away but I just never could! This summer I took it out again, and now that I have better applique skills, I am doing better. Hope you can visit my blog and take a look! We should do a stitch along!~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your blocks are just fantastic. I am not a hand applique girl but I like to do machine applique.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love that red and white quilt in your header!

    Great blocks. Good luck with the horse and tent block. It looks pretty perfect from here so far! I do hope you finish the quilt because it is a great pattern. I really love the border on that quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. well done you to keep going - you have done too much work on those blocks to give it away now! I subscribe to not using an overlay...rather placing pieces and even adding/subtracting as I see fit. It doesn't have to be an exact replica of the original....rather your own interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good on you for persisting and pulling out your project again. There are many different ways toapplique and I suppose it is a matter of finding what works best for you personally. I look forward to seeing more of this lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great progress, and the blocks are very nice. I think sometimes we are too critical of our work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As a huge civil war fan, I LOVE THIS pattern. I don't remember it and now I'll have to search for it.
    I love yours! Great jog, can't wait to see more. The eagle is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your blocks! I hadn't seen this quilt pattern before. I really like the block with the tent and horse. I hope you can get them to behave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good for you Karen for biting the bullet to get this project done!!! Your blocks look wonderful!! I'm sure this last block, and the the remaining 4 will be a breeze for you now with all your applique experience! 8-)
    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish you luck! They are great blocks and worth finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think your determination has paid off and you've discovered what works better for you which is a good thing. The blocks are delightful, I hope you remain positive because it's a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely blocks, Karen, as always... AND fabrics. I can read the frustration! I, too, like to just place the applique pieces and not worry if they are in the exact place. Good luck with finishing this block... maybe the next four will not be as troublesome. (And the horse is a great shape, too.) Your friend did a great job with the design. ...Karen

    ReplyDelete
  30. I htink those blocks are amazing and you will be so glad you didnt give up!!!!!!! wow your friend is talented!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG Karen, I have this too, and I stopped after I messed up a block!! Ha ha. This would be a good time to get it out and finish it. Thanks for reminding me, and your blocks are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have some gorgeous blocks hidden away! I love your house blocks !

    ReplyDelete