QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Saturday, October 15, 2011

ABE AND MARY LINCOLN

I did another applique block featuring Abe and Mary Lincoln.  I had an idea that I wanted to follow through on which was adding a pieced border around the block to make a small quilt.  This is what I came up with.


I thought a Log Cabin block would be appropriate for Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln.  I had a different setting in my mind's eye but ended up not using it.  My first thought was to start in the center of a side with two light sides facing each other followed by a dark facing a dark.  That made some areas of lights facing the outside.  I was not going to add an additional border and I did not like the look of some light and some dark on the outside edge.  My solution was to have all the blocks facing the same direction on a side and to add a plain block in each corner.  The logs finish at one-half inch.  That was going to make it difficult to square up the quilt, if needed, after quilting.  I decided to add a plain border log cabin style for a final finish.  Now I need to think about the quilting design..

Have a fun weekend and take time to sew!

Karen

33 comments:

  1. It turned out beautiful! Can't wait to see it quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to add the log cabins. I love picture quilts that have traditional blocks worked into the design. It just adds something for me. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this....the colors, the log cabins, and who doesn't love good ol' Abe and wife? This is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *love* the log cabins around them. This is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful design! The little log cabin blocks compliment the applique of Abe and Mary perfectly! You are so creative, I cna't wait to see how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely block! I love the use of black to repeat the colors in the suit and hair. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect. I keep thinking of the childhood toy Lincoln Logs. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful block/quilt!! Love your subject!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Log Cabins for Abe and Mary. What could be more appropriate? Excellent little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it with the addition of the log cabin blocks. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Great idea for border, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like what you have done! What a great idea that came to your mind. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great, but those logs are tiny, they must have been tricky to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It turned out great, Karen! Beautiful colours and the log cabins are placed very well.
    Happy quilting, Cisca

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is absolutely perfect, Karen, great job - I don't think you could have come up with a better frame for that! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how quilters resolve creative issues. Those tiny log cabin blocks are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is perfect! What a great block.

    I love the quilt in your header. I hope to do that one next year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Lincoln block is great. I like the way the log cabin block surrounds the Lincolns. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have always had a fondness for Lincoln
    I love your block and I love the little quilt!!!
    great setting...always thought about log cabin blocks for an abe quilt someday!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  20. the log cabin border is perfect for that quilt. I really like it a lot. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ON+MG! I love it!! So cool! I can't believe you did two of those blocks! Ha! Ha! I got 1 1/2 more blocks done on War and Pieces and will try to post a pic on my blog this week!Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice! I love the way you used the log cabin blocks along the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think the log cabin border is perfect for that quilt!

    Thanks for stopping by my pumpkin post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an adorable block!! I love the background and the border!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the log cabins too! Beautiful as always, Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's beautiful -- love the way the log cabin frames it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the log cabin blocks framing Abe and Mary. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Log cabin blocks are the perfect frame for you little Abe and Mary quilt! I love it.

    ReplyDelete