QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Summer Glory".

Saturday, November 5, 2011

QUILTING AND SHARING

A finish to share with you.  I hand quilted this smaller size quilt and am happy with the results.  It will be a gift.  I am going to let the recipient decide if they want the crinkle look or more flat look.  Myself, I would wash the quilt as I like the little pucker crinkles that result.  Somone else may not.



I am now hand quilting another of the small quilts which you I showed on a recent post.  I have four of the nine blocks quilted.
I did the four blocks yesterday evening so I don't think it will take long to do the remaining five.

I received an elegent little sewing kit from a friend who has a talent for crazy quilting, silk ribbon embroidery, etc.  Here is the front of the kit.

The inside is shown in the following picture.

And the back.  I like the tiny little medallion she put on the back.  A delightful surprise.  I took the pictures on the tile floor so those are the grout lines you are seeing.

I finally was able to make the trip to spend a Saturday with The Sew 'n Sews, my sewing friends who live a distance away from me.  I took three pictures of some quilts that were shared.  I should have taken some more as our hostess showed some that I forgot to take pictures of.  Another time and I will do that.
Beverly completed the Bunny Hill free block of the month.  She is going to give the quilt to a young friend of hers that collects squirrel items.  Beverly  does such nice applique and this quilt is no exception.


Not the best picture but I did want to share with you that several of the stitcheries are blocks that I made.  The patterns are from "Nice People, Nice Things".  I got tired of the project and stopped the embroidery.  My friend Jean took over the project and completed the embroidery and set the blocks into a quilt.  If I have a project that lingers too long and I lose interest, Jean is willing to take over the parts and create something from it.  This is not all the blocks from the pattern set but all that I had traced before giving away the pattern set.
This last quilt is all done in wool applique.  I forget the pattern name but it came from McCall's Quilting magazine several years ago.  It was published in several parts.  A beauty of a quilt.  I have to share with you that I started one from the same pattern.  It was my first experience with wool.  I did the center block and did not like the results at all.  It was too puffy, puckering, and too busy looking.  I donated the rest of the parts I had ready to a charity thrift store and decided that wool applique was not for me.  Well, the story goes that wool applique and me now get along and I have done several projects that I have used wool on.  I don't know why my first attempt was not successful.  I now enjoy the process very much.  I do not have the pattern any longer but if I were to start again, I would leave a bit off the center block to make it less busy looking than mine was.  And use different thread than I did then.  I was using a wool floss and I think that it caused some of my problems with the look I was getting.  Rosy's version shown above turned out beautiful!

The ninth free block from Scrap, Quilt, Stitch is available now.  The blog is in French but you can get the gist of things just by looking or by using Google translation.  It is available here.  And there is a free quilt in the works on a blog written in Spanish here.  It is not necessarily one each month but as the parts are available.  Take a look and see if it interests you.  The blogs are also listed on my side bar if you want to refer back to them later on.
That is all I have to share with you today.  Take time to sew this evening!
Karen

25 comments:

Sue said...

Lovely, lovely work on your projects. I really like your new header too :)

The quilts you have shown are just gorgeous. The one in wool is so beautiful! They all are, but you know how I love wool :)

Thanks for sharing.

Quilt Hollow said...

Oooooo is that a new header?!! Had I seen that cute chicken/turkey quilt before?

Heavy breathing...beautiful little quilt and now frosted with quilting even prettier!

Everything you show....everything you know I enjoy and soon I just start sounding like broken record.

Sharon said...

Great show and tell today. I love the quilt in your header, I have that book but have hesitated, yours makes me want to pull it out and work on it! Love the wool applique, gorgeous colors.

Sheila said...

Karen,
This was a really nice posting. I love your little quilts and the hand quilting. Lucky recipient for the first quilt! (I'm a fine of the crinkled look, too.)

Jackie said...

Karen,
Love the quilt in your new header.
All your work is great and you do so many. You must have a stack of finished quilts.

Carrie P. said...

Love the quilt in your header. The fabric colors are really great.
Love your little quilts a lot.
Oh, that needle holder is so sweet. How nice of your friend to make it for you.
Loved the show and tell.

Robin said...

Your quilting looks lovely. I really enjoy hand quilting. I like the little tatted medalion on the back of the heart - nice touch.

Linda said...

Love the header! Congrats on a great finish. I like the Puckett look too! What gorgeous quilts!

paulette said...

First of all your new header is STUNNING!!!!! Gorgeous!! Love the projects you are working on too!! And your new pin keeper is lovely!
P

Janet O. said...

Your two little quilts that you are hand quilting are so lovely! And what a treasure of a needle case your friend made for you.
It is so hard to get a finish when you lose interest in a project. Good that you have a friend that will pick up the pieces. Wish I could draft someone to do that for me. : )

Colleen said...

Oooo! Love your finish and I love the new header quilt! You are quilting up a storm, as usual :o) Thank you also for the show N tell.

Elzaan said...

Lovely quilts. Thanks for sharing!

sewprimitive karen said...

How darling. I love everything you make!

Yvette said...

What an abundance of eye candy you had to share this post. I adore all of it! I am with you on the mini quilt, I would wash it too.

Anne Heidi said...

Oh I do love your new header! Beautiful quilt! And there are so many pretty quilts in this post- now I really do think I will take some time to sew today!

Lori said...

Your needle is flying these days!! I love the one you are quilting right now. I don't mind hand quilting the smaller ones, it is the larger ones that take me forever.

Cheryl said...

I like the washed look also. I simply adore yours all quilts, especially the Lori Smith. Beautiful work by you and your friends,

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! Thank you for your lovely blog! It’s so nice to find other quilters all around the world!

Kyle said...

How relaxing to sit and hand quilt. Thank you for the wonderful inspiring show and tell.

Fay Merritt Iseminger said...

What a cute idea for a little sewing kit - a heart! The gold tassel is a great touch. Thanks for sharing this little treasure with us.

Barb said...

I like the crinkled look to -
the sewing kit is just incredibly beautiful!
Thanks for sharing so many wonderful projects today

Janet said...

Both of the little quilts you are quilting are beautiful!! What lovely gifts!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Karen, your post has beautiful quilts; and I especially love the quilt in your header. Your eye for color is wonderful.

Mary said...

Karen your header is strickingly Beautiful!! Beautiful work as usual, Hugs, Mary

Purple Pam said...

Your header quilt is great. I love it! I love your needlecase, too. Wonderful gift. Thank you for sharing the great photos from all those ladies. What fun!