QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

SEWING ROOM UPDATE

You asked to see the sewing room after the clean up, so here goes.
This is as good as I could get the plaid fabrics area.  I took the larger pieces meant for quilt backs off the shelving unit on the left and moved them to the closet shelf.  I put overflows of plaids into plastic crates, turned them on their side and used three shelves of the unit for that.  The plaids in the cubicles got refolded and sorted better by color.  I still have some fabric meant for certain projects in three crates stacked on the floor.  But I can at least walk safely in that area.  The bottom shelf of the unit on the left side of the pictures has two scrap baskets.  One for plaids and the other assorted pieces.
I moved the jar and a tin of perle cottons balls to two high shelves in the cubicles.  The extra cutting board, pressing pad, newsprint and tracing paper for drawing are in the same location as they were previously.
These shelves are now neater looking.  I culled out some fabric pieces I don't think I will be using and they will be going to the church thrift store.
The sewing machine cabinet is fairly empty on top.  Rulers organized underneath and some I will never use going to the thrift store.  You can see that I keep a folding tray with a press pad to the right of the sewing machine.  That way, I can swivel on the office chair and press without getting up.  I do my cutting on a small table that you can see a quilt laying on right now.  I adjusted to using the rotary cutter and ruler sitting down quite some time ago when my back pain started giving me fits.
I wanted you to see that you can see the floor around the sewing machine area.  I took fabric out of crates that were sitting there and worked them onto the shelves.  I put away projects that were waiting for attention and found a home for them.  I hope they see the light of day some time in the future.
The book and pattern area was not a total disaster to start with.  I have removed a few books and patterns for donation.  I sorted all of Cheri Payne's patterns into a basket that is sitting to the right side of the bookcase.  There just was not room on the shelf for them.  I keep an office chair in front of the bookcase so that I can sit in comfort and look through books at leisure.

My sewing room will never be one that you will see in a magazine with wonderful vignettes of quilts and prim style items on display.  I just have too much in that room for that.  I keep thinking I could do that if I used up a bunch of fabric but you know how that goes.  It multiplies when we aren't looking.

Karen

48 comments:

Susie said...

Looks great...........but will you be able to find stuff now that it is orderly?????

Allie said...

Karen I think it looks divine - I would love to come play in your room! I could sit for hours looking through all your books and patterns alone!

Janet O. said...

To me anything that puts "sewing" and "room" together is lovely. You have a great dedicated space.

Quiltjane said...

When you are done organising your beautiful room you can come over and help me LOL. It looks wonderful.

Lynn Koeppen said...

Nice job! Don't you love it when you can see the floor? LOL

Now, I just want to warn you that all of those projects you organized and put away- good luck finding them again! That is my biggest problem. Finding things when everything has been all cleaned up, tidied and organized!

Sue said...

Well your room looks so nice! I love how everything is organized by color and you sure do have lots of wonderful fabric. I'm drooling here :D

Amy said...

Lookin' good! You have a wonderful sewing room.

Linda said...

Looks awesome!!!!

Darlene said...

Looks fabulous, Karen. I'll be there soon to mess it up. LOL

blauraute said...

Wow - it looks great. It's wonderful to take a walk on your blog, there are so many beautiful things.
Have a nice day and enjoy your new sewing room
Roswitha

sewprimitive karen said...

You have a nice work area, Karen! Does that open to your kitchen?

Geta Grama said...

OMG, it looks like a shop! I enlarged the photos to see your fabric better!

Angie Burrett said...

Please come and organise my sewing room for me - I am very impressed, how long will it stay tidy?! I try and reorganise after every finish, but it just doesn't stay tidy for long - I seem to live in a constant muddle!

cucki said...

wow it is looking so nice..you have a wonderful sewing room.i love it xx

Sheila said...

Lookin' good! You have a really nice space for sewing and creating. Aren't you glad the re-organizing is over?

Kelli said...

Looks wonderful! You've done a great job organizing. I wish I could shop at your church sale and at your thrift shop! Thanks for sharing

Colleen said...

Good job! I wish I had the time and energy to get mine in order.

Cheryl said...

Looks good, and neat! You inspire me to at least organize my books and magazines!

Ruth said...

I wish I had the shelving like you have. It looks great! All my fabric is crammed into the closed on shelves DH made for me, which is fine, but it's not as convenient. I've thought of taking the door off the closet, but I use the door as a "design" wall.

Impera_Magna said...

Great job! You're sewing room looks fab! I know it was a lot of work but I'm sure you're very pleased about now...

Lori said...

I have to say that I am really jealous. What a fantastic room and we all know safety first?! LOL

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

Karen,
I think it looks fabulous! I can't wait till mine gets finished. I have a room all ready for prime and paint and then my husband needs to get going on shelves and countertops. This is actually the extension room next to the sewing room. But when it's done I can put everything non sewing/quilting into the other room and reorganize the sewing room. I can't wait!
Julie

Betty Lou said...

I "heart" your stash and all in my favorite colors and sooooo organized.

Libby said...

Looks great - I love your storage shelves/cubbies!

Dresden Quilter said...

It looks great!

Dawn said...

Fabulous room!!
It looks so inviting and ready to inspire more projects.
Thank you for sharing.

Marsha said...

Your hard work paid off, it looks great! So organized. Now you can sew to your hearts content.

Mary said...

You did an amazing job and it looks wonderful! Fabrics do seem to multiply, don't they? I've bought very few pieces lately (okay - compared to what I usually get) and even though I've been pulling from my stash, it just keeps getting bigger. Your sewing machine area looks really inviting!

katie said...

I think your sewing room looks great. I can't even roll my chair on the floor without running into something.
Also love the quilt in your header, looks great.

Sharon said...

Great job, but now you won't be able to find anything! That's what happens to me when I clean up. ;-)

Quilt Hollow said...

Do I spy an empty shelf up there on the right? :-)
Boy oh boy would I love to shop your stash....I see nothing but beautiful fabrics that are so ME! (and apparently you!!! LOL)
Enjoy the evening. Life is going to get real crazy again these next few days into next week. Sigh

Sandi said...

Want to come and do mine! I love your open shelves, how do you protect the fabric from fading?

Have fun with all the floor space!

Kyle said...

Your sewing room is ready now for you to dive in and start a new creative project. Have fun!

Vivian said...

What I would give to have that fabric. lol

By the way, I love your header quilt. It would go great in my kitchen.

liz said...

I am so glad you put the "after" photos up. It must have been nice to discover stuff you forgot you had while you were tidying up.

I hope you are enjoying your new room.

Dora, the Quilter said...

Your lovely "new" room must make you feel wonderful! It certainly looks wonderful!

5foot1quilts said...

I'm inspired to give my own studio a little tidy up now!

Loris said...

Awesome work! Having it organized...at least to begin with...helps me get focused and sewing. Hope your spot inspires you to alot of fun!

Lida said...

You have a fantastic stash and a great room, love the bookcase, wish you lots of happy hours and creativity in there ! Have a great weekend,
Lida

Stina said...

WELL DONE...Clap clap!!!! :O)
Marvellous job ... the thinking of where to put everything is worst..LOL..

Lee Prairie Designs said...

GOOD JOB!Fun sewing room :)

Carolyn

Jackie said...

Don't you just love organizing the sewing room. We get to play, hold and love all the fabric we are not working with yet. Nice job!

Colleen said...

Love it! I love your yummy stash :o) Maybe mine will grow up to be like yours someday! Lol.

Kathie said...

refolding all my fabric in my closets was the best thing I ever did and it is still that way almost or may it is a year already.
I can find what I need so much quicker and put it away as well.....good for you taking the time to clean your room
I find an uncluttered space lets me work so much more efficiently and calmly!!!! I hope this is for you too
Kathie

JJ said...

Your room looks great. I started cleaning mine and had some of the stuff in the living room but had company come so I had to put it all back before I was ready and haven't got back to it. Such is life. But I sure like yours.

Anne Heidi said...

Your sewingroom looks great! I spent last week cleaning mine as well, now I am afraid to sew in there and make it a mess again...

Carrie P. said...

Your sewing room looks great. I just love the wall of fabrics. My colors too.

Holly Field Designs said...

Wow! You have great fabric storage. I organize according to color too, however... sometimes I can't separate a fabric line. Usually I have to cut into the newest lines and make something before I separate it all into colors. Thanks for the view.