QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Monday, January 30, 2012

MILLENNIUM GARDEN BLOCK SEVEN

Another Millennium Garden block done.  This one turned out to be done in trial and error fashion.  At first I used a solid red for the front of the house.  It is from the same main line of fabric I am using.  I got it all stitched down and started the roof stitching.  Then I decided it was too strong of a red combination compared to the previous fabric combinations of the finished blocks I have done.  Off came the solid red & I used the diagonal plaid instead.  Then I already had leaves prepped in the green and tan diagonal plaid.  I stitched them on but did not like the look of the plaid on the busier background.  Plus I used the red and tan plaid for the front of the house and chimney.  And I did not like the shape of some of the leaves.  Off came the leaves.  I used several green prints for the leaves and altered the shape slightly on a couple of them.  I stitched them on last evening and am satisfied with the result.

I am working on another small piece which has an ice skater on a pond.  I will share a picture in a few days.  I have three patterns with ice skaters that I have had for quite some time.  Other projects always seem to take precedent.

Take time to sew today.  Every little bit adds up to a finished project before long.
Karen

30 comments:

  1. It's lovely! I don't know that I'd have the ambition to keep redoing it, but the result is wonderful! I don't do much applique, but I'm preparing now for a small project. I have it all drawn out, now just need to start cutting and stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely block! Love the fabrics, some times it just goes that way! Greetings
    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO NEAT-I LIKE IT!
    THANKS FOR SHARING!
    HAPPY STITCHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never get tired of house blocks. This is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I study colors always before, I hate make and remake :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fun block of MG with a red house! I love anything in red, but this house is my favorite so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely block..
    I love it so much like always :)
    Love cucki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice of the plaid for the front of the house. Your care in choosing shows up in the finished look. Charming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the way that you used the plaid in this house~!~and that CUTE little plaid chimney~!!~

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  10. The plaid really makes the house! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen,
    Your final block is a winner! All the ripping and changing paid off. Love the little projects in the previous post - I personally like the pink and orange together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your block is gorgeous. You have to go with your gut... even if it means a bit of extra work. It's worth it. Love the Bird mini quilt in your last post too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a fantastic block! I love your choices for the house. Oooh it's so spiffy! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this block. Great choice of colours. Am stitching all day today with a special friend as we do every Monday. (Monday was a public holiday here in Auckland New Zealand so today is the day)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice, love the fabric choices.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the cabin. I think this is my favorite block so far

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great block. I love that background print - grat choice. I like how the plaid works on the front too.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The absolute hardest part for me is picking colors - I need to come take some lessons from you! LOVE that block!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute block Karen! I love the choices you made. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All that effort and doing things over and over again. It is worthwhile when you see the final results!!!Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whatever frustration you may have had along the way, the finished block turned out great. I love the plaid housefront!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like what you ended up with. The background is wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. looks great, I love house blocks
    :-) and the bird on the chimney is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another great block! I love any block with a house in it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like it a lot! The hardest part of quilting is picking out the fabrics and you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful block. I love the background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks wonderful Karen! Love the plaid house!!

    ReplyDelete