QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote Payne. The design is from an older book "Two Hour Christmas Projects".

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

RADICAL ROSE AND REEL IN WOOL

I want to share with you a picture of a wool project I made recently.  I was asked by Dawn Cook-Ronnigen from "Collector With A Needle" blog to take the pattern her and her daughter Nora have created and make a wool one block version.  Their applique pattern, "Radical Rose and Reel" was created from an antique quilt in Dawn's collection.  You can see the antique quilt and her modern one block version done in Kaffe fabrics here.  The antique quilt is nine large and wonderful blocks in red and green.  The pattern includes two full size patterns. One for the original 30 inch square size and a smaller 24 inch size.  I used the 24 inch size for the wool mat.

The blue plaid wool I used for the background was given to me by a good friend who works in a design firm. A wool sample.  It was a nice weight and was wonderful to work with. The mat would be very striking in a black wool background with red and green.  The pattern was very easy to work with since it is full size.  I took a piece of freezer paper and traced the center shape, two of the large leaf shapes and then one side of the block with the buds, stems, and smaller leaves.  I cut out the stem area with sharp scissors.  I used the main pattern piece to layout the center of the block and stitched those parts down.  I then placed the freezer paper guide that I made over the background and used the cut out areas to shape and place the wool stems in the correct position.  I had the leaf and bud placements marked on the freezer paper.  I would just lift the freezer paper and place the parts in the correct place, add a bit of Roxanne's glue to tack them in place.  Then stitch by hand.  I would then move to the next side of the block and repeat the process.  I am pleased with the result.

The "Radical Rose and Reel" is the third pattern Dawn and Nora have created.  The first two patterns are for a Vortex design.  Nora did a black and white version which was shown at the Houston quilt show.  Dawn did a more modern version of the same pattern.  You can see all of the patterns on Etsy here.  You can read about the "Vortex Variation" on Dawn's blog here.

While you are on the Blog, check out some of the recent posts that show Dawn's doll sized sleigh bed and amoire.  The amoire has doll size quilts in it and other small children's items.   Beautiful pieces!  Check out the post on January 12, 2012 for the doll bed turning and see the wonderful little quilts.

Have a great sewing day!
Karen

21 comments:

  1. That's beautiful!!! And I love her modern Kaffe version too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, it looks perfect. There is something so relaxing and rewarding about hand stitching. I always include some applique in my projects. You did a great job.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful block! I enjoy very much following Dawn's blog too. You did such nice work on this as always. Love those colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful block Dawn and Nora have designed. I love what you have made with it. That plaid background is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors in your block! You do such beautiful work! Loved all the doll quilts too! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wool plaid and the look of this. It is wonderful! Great take on the block. I enjoyed reading through your blog and am your newest follower.
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful this bloc, love the clors and the fabric! Greetings
    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow Dawn's blog and saw her original post - this is so different in wool but still wonderful. You did a really nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very gorgeous block and the background plaid is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love what you've done with this~!
    Dawn's blog is truly a treat.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wool interpretation is wonderful especially on the plaid background! I also love the red and green of the original quilt as well.
    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the mention Karen!
    And a huge thanks for working your magic with fabric (wool) selection and stitching.
    It is a treasured piece - I appreciate more than my words here can express!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, your wool version looks great! I saw that pattern on Dawn's Etsy site and I expect a copy will be winging its way to me soon. I am going to make myself finish a few things beforehand but I have the background fabric all ready. Of course, I am planning on doing the red and green version.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a very beautiful piece! I like the fabrics you have used. I went to the Etsy shop and the blog - some lovely goodies there! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your wool version of this block is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love the wonderful wool applique block you made! It is so
    well made, and the colours are just
    gorgeous.
    Greeting from Ageeth (from Holland)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your block looks wonderful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen,
    Another lovely block! The plaid background really sets it all off - bet you wish you had a bolt of that wool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely project Karen!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I see you are staying busy. Love this block. The plaid is such a great background fabric. Love the quilt in your header.

    ReplyDelete