QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Friday, February 17, 2012

BLOCK 8 OF MILLENNIUM GARDEN

I had skipped block eight of Millennium Garden and went on to nine.  I forget why but it could be that I wanted to think about how I was going to construct it.  This is a sort of New York Beauty style of block only no sharp points.    The rounded points are created with applique.  One round on each section had a partial curve instead of a full piece.  I don't know how to describe it any better than that.  I decided to change the width between bumps and have a full curved section.  Anyhow, here is my version of the block.
I have shown the star blocks previously.  I just went ahead and pieced together a section.  I discovered that there is a small block that goes on the lower left of this that there is no mention of in the pattern.  You can see it on the completed quilt picture and in the quilt layout diagram but nothing tells you to make it.  Fortunately, it is leaf shapes that are used elsewhere in the quilt and will be no problem to make the block.

I got a new book in the mail.  And at a good sale price.  Unfortunately, Sharon from Daisy Cottage Quilts is now sold out of them.
This is the book of Jan Patek quilt patterns put out by Quiltmania.  The photography is wonderful in the book.  I didn't count them but I think the write-up said there are thirty patterns.  Some I already have in my collection but enough of them I did not to make it well worthwhile to purchase.  I already started cutting out the backgrounds for the pattern "Christmas 101" that is in the book.

I am doing applique today on one of "The Bible" quilt blocks that have been an on-going project.  One more large block after this one and the applique will be done.

Time to get back to stitching.
Karen

20 comments:

  1. I love your little Lemonade quilts -- both of them! The quilting design is perfect. I can't decide which one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Karen, that is a wonderful block. The applique would freeze me in my tracks, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are beautiful! I have to get that book. I was thinking about it a few months back but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually paper pieced my NY beauty style block so it does have points. If I remember correctly her directions sucked! LOL Your blocks look wonderful! Christmas 101 is a winner! I look forward to seeing your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I really like the way your circular block turned out. It is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beauty block is great! I think Quilmania books are wonderful. They have some great ones out...
    Looks like you will have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Between stitching and your new book, your weekend will be fantastic. Your New York Beauty is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the rounded points on the NYB block. Good solution! Great fabrics, too! Quiltmania is my favorite magazine. I don't own any of the books they put out, but would like to. Happy applique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is the way to do points! Enjoy your new book...Quiltmania is one of my favorite publications.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to read it twice, but I understand what you are saying. I think you had the perfect plan. I remember having difficulties and ultimately was unsuccessful in getting an even looking block using the original pattern. I love how yours has turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your block turned out great! The pattern I used had already been redrafted by someone else, so mine came out similar to yours. The original version bothered me with the way it was designed - guess I'm not so much of a true folk artist...

    Really love all the fabrics you are using and its fun to follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to find a copy of that book. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow such a sweet block :)
    Love cucki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. block 8 is wonderful and looks quite challenging . . .

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant block. I own this book and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous block! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks like a very intimidating block...you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blocks are so nice. I like Jan Patek's designs. I must look for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like this book is right up my alley!! I'll check Amazon. Your whale quilt looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will have to check out that book... thanks, Karen.
    And the curved / rounded points are perfect for the prim style of quilt. Well done.

    ReplyDelete