QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Thursday, February 9, 2012

HEARTS, FLOWERS AND CHOCOLATES PART 1

A work in progress.  "Hearts, Flowers and Chocolates" wall hanging.  Borders yet to come.
This applique wall hanging was started by my friend Susan who does wonderful applique.  She did the applique in the middle of the piece.  I am not sure why she stopped at that point but it was given to me to finish and that was a good while ago.  I decided last weekend that I should work on it as it could be used for Valentine's Day display.  I pieced the triangles surrounding the center block and then added the corner triangles that set the center on point.  I did the applique on one triangle and started the second.  I was not liking how things looked.  The shapes below the hearts were not hanging straight.  I know it is prim style but I think I would have been happier with a more symmetrical shape.  And the heart is higher on the right side than the left but I had not positioned them that way.  I quit at that point and was going to remove the outer triangles.  I figured I could use the center block for a wall hanging as is.  The next day I decided to take off some of the applique that was bothering me and position it better.  I dislike having to re-do but I am happier with the result and pushed forward with the project.  Now I will be adding a narrow red border and then a half square triangle border.  I will post a picture after that is complete.  The pattern for this wall hanging is by Jan Patek.

This morning, I am working on a Buttermilk Basin design.  It is the January block of "Sheep in the Willows Thru the Year".  I don't have enough done to post a picture just yet.  I am heading back to my chair to work on it.

Karen

31 comments:

  1. Hi, I love the hearts and everything looks great keep going it is prim don't worry so. I'll take it if your not happy with it.lol Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt you made together! have a nice day, hugs Else

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, I love the warm, chocolate colors with the red. I think it looks great, but we are all picky with our own projects. It take a lot of fortitude to pull out that seam ripper and "redo".
    Perfect Valentine's Day wall hanging. I know just where I'd put it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh, anothe one of the pretty from your needle! Love the way Hearts, Flowers and Chocolates turned out so far. That would be a little challenge for me, too about working with asymmetry design, but I'm trying to learn that stuff lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely block in very nice colors!
    Love, Cisca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little hearts and flowers wall hanging. I don't know what it looked liked before you did you "redo" but it looks wonderful now. Don't you love it when something finally comes together?

    ReplyDelete
  7. great block. I love all the different fabrics, they add a lot of charm and movement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen,
    This project is looking good. It's always a good idea to set something aside at least overnight and then take another look. Sometimes it saves ripping out and sometimes it doesn't! This will be a nice little piece when you get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! Perfect for Valentine's. :-) I tried to needle turn some hearts last night~ lets just say I should stick with machine applique. :-o LOL

    Happy stitchin'!

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww so cute..this project is looking s fun project..
    have fun deary..
    hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well this one is so perfect to me and I love those colors...some of my favorites ;)....just sayin'

    Can't wait to see your next project !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your project is lovely. I love the pattern and the fabrics. I know I've done things over because I
    just needed too. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely center, good luck with te finishing touch! Greetings
    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely heart block - the colors are so comforting! great combo - I might have to try something with those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great to me as well, Pretty & Prim. And love the reds & browns, nice materials too.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great colaberation with you and your friend. It really is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is really a sweet little quilt, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another beauty!!
    I find it is best to fix things than to carry on - I have learned that the hard way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love this design...beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful block! And I can't wait to see your sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy - very yummy!!! Love the quilt in your header, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am glad you pushed on and finished the applique. It is a lovely quilt and will indeed be useful for Valentine's.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karen, this is a stunning block and perfect for valentines day. Will you be going to the Lakeland show?

    ReplyDelete
  25. This block is the perfect prim Valentine piece. I imagine you have itall finished now as I type this. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, I wouldn't have noticed! I think it looks "primly" perfect.....

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE that and the colors are wonderful!! Perfect for February.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Simply gorgeous!!!! I love the fabric and colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    so beautiful..i truly love all of them so much..
    big hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete