QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Sunday, February 19, 2012

SAVE THE WHALES

A new project.  I took Jan Patek's pattern called "Save the Whales", made some changes, and came up with this.
The top is still a work in progress.  There is a section of stars that go across the top and then borders around the quilt.  The pattern has two lighthouse blocks.  I chose to substitute the clipper ship for one of them.  The ship block is wider than the lighthouse block so I had to adjust the filler sections.  Jan's pattern has triangle blocks as filler.  They just weren't working for me.  I could get them to fit around the lighthouse but not the ship and whales.  I ended up adding a bit of background to the ship and lighthouse blocks so that the measurements were divisible by two.  Then I cut out bunches of squares that finished at two inches.  I have been sewing on the quilt top a good portion of today.  I hope to get the star section done tomorrow.  The quilt top was quickly hung on my design wall.  I obviously did not have the camera at a good angle as the bottom of the quilt looks more narrow than the top.  It is the same width.

The pattern is in the book called "Oceans Aweigh".  The clipper ship is also in the book just belonging to another quilt pattern.

Too late for more sewing tonight.  Sleep tight!
Karen

27 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt with your changes!
    groetjes Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your making all these quilts I have admired for years! keep going, yup we need to save those whales. LOVE the quilt in your header :)
    adorable!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the clipper ship and the scrappiness of this... Looks like it was a great weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I really like this one-you really work fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Karen. All your projects are always delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you did with this...my husband would love this quilt! Will have to find this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is gorgeous!! How long did it take you to make this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great quilt and easy enough to change with the squares as settings. Very fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Your changes are working out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have made a great quilt and it will be uniquely yours. I haven't seen the original, but I think this looks really good! You have probably improved upon a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love it too..it is looking so sweettttttttttttttt
    hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!! great colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you got some sewing done this weekend. I really like how you share your thoughts about changing a pattern to make it our own. It's a good reminder to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the whales. My DH works for a company whose logo is a whale - hmmmm there might be one of those in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another incredibly charming quilt! I love whales too and this is such a sweet way to enjoy them...close up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi was admiring your Save the Wales quilt and went to Jan's web page and cant find it . Do you know where I can buy the pattern ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very New England! You have made some great adjustments . . . . have you though of going into designing on your own?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE IT!!! You're making me anxious to get out my book and make this - very, very sweet Karen!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't heard of this book before. The quilt top is great and I love the gray blues that you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes a change is better than a rest!! Love these changes...and no rest for YOU!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many thanks for the comment on my blog.

    I admire your beautiful work, you have a great blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is soooooo cute! I love it. The change does look good - as if it belongs there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE it!
    Moby dick is my favorite book of all time. Which reminds me, I never did post about my whale quilt -
    Yours is super. I love the color palette.
    It makes me so happy when people tweak patterns to make them their own!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was never much into seeing whale quilts until now. You have managed to make even a whale, boat and lighthouse wonderfully prim! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this! Quilt + Whales = perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete