QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Saturday, February 25, 2012

UFO PROJECT

I have quite a number of UFO's to choose from when the mood hits.  While looking for a piece of fabric in my stash, I spotted a UFO in a crate of fabric from a Blackbird Designs line called "Beach House".  It had been a while since I looked at what all was in the crate.  I found log cabin blocks and the parts for an applique block that was to go with them.  I thought I could spend a few hours and get the applique done and maybe move the project on towards a finish.  Well, it took two days to do the applique but here is the finished block.
Once I got going on the block, I thought I had better work on it until it was done or it would get put away and not see the light of day for a long time.  I finished yesterday evening.  This morning, I sewed the log cabin blocks together.  They frame the house block but in an off-center fashion.  I am using the pattern called "Chelsea Cottage: in Blackbird Designs' book called "You're Invited!"  Now the project looks like this.
I am not sure how I am liking it.  The first and third borders are to be pieced.  I have to study the fabrics in the crate and see if I have what I need to do the borders as shown in the pattern.  They are all meant to be dark borders.  That might make me happier with the piece.  I have mixed in other fabric lines for the log cabin blocks for added interest.

I was sent a pattern from Australia for a stitchery by Lorraine of "Granny Loz" fame.  I looked back on her blog for the picture of the one she made and I cannot find it.  She does beautiful embroidery work.  Also in the same picture is a tiny little basket ornament that a quilting friend gave me.  It was made by a friend of hers quite some time ago.  I am pleased to have one of them.
And last, Sharon from "Vroomans Quilts" shared a piece of fabric with me.  The main thing that attracted me to the fabric is that there is a covered bridge scene and I am a covered bridge fanatic.  You can see the star blocks Sharon was making with fussy cuts of this fabric here.


Back to the sewing room.
Karen

20 comments:

  1. wow i love this block so much..very sweet...
    i love the fabric with quilts and covered bridges..looking so stunning..
    happy sewing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your applique block is great. I really like the background fabric. It is an interesting setting with the log cabin blocks. Congrats for hanging in there and finishing that block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house block is so pretty. I love the softness of your quilt. It's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time well spent in your sewing room on the beautiful UFO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really love your Beach House Quilt!! Your Log Cabin blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The house block with the log cabins is a beauty! Not as dark as you like? The more dark fabric in the borders would help, but I like the shades you have used. And sometimes it is fun to stretch our color comfort zone, don't you think? : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute little "beach house"!! You always have such very interesting projects!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your header with the red house quilt! So pretty! And I'm very weak for BBD's fabrics and patterns :) Log cabin house quilt top seems to be a perfect one for your blog - Log Cabin Quilter! How fun your weekend has been...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the red schoolhouses on the top of your blog! If you decide not to go further on your almost finished newly found UFO, it would be nice as is with just binding put on. (Trying to make it a faster finish for you...heheheheh).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, almost a finished top and it deserves to become a real quilt! Just go on! Greetings
    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  11. great header!!
    what a fun quilt. I love the funny steps in front of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That house block is very very nice. I really like the Beach House line. I wish I would have purchased some.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that block and quilt! I'm a sucker for a quilt with houses. Love your quilt in your header too! Darling little basket and pretty fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty appliqué bock! I know you will love that quilt once you get the borders on. It's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely quilt! You are so prolific! Log cabins have been popping up here and there and I'm so tempted to start one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your beachhouse quilt! So beautifull! I'm curious to see wich borders you are going to sew on. Greetz from the Netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the block and the quilt, it deserves to get a place in your home! I like to see it with the borders, I hope you you like it more, then.
    Nice fabric nad pattern!
    Happy quilting, Cisca

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an adorable house block!! I hope you have enough for the border, although if you don't I know you'll figure out something wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the way this quilt is coming along...and the fact that the house block is off centre....does that say something about me! LOL Hope you enjoy stitching Viv's pattern. I bought another one of hers just recently and hopefully will make a start on that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that little basket ornament is darling~!!~

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete