QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

PLAY TIME WITH PIECES AND PARTS

I finished the last of the "Millennium Garden" blocks but have not sewn anything together yet.  They need trimming and a little pressing first.


I took time to stitch a birdhouse block from a Jan Patek pattern called "Spring Fling".  Probably the easiest block from the pattern.

And last, I stitched an Indian.  I was inspired by an antique quilt I have seen pictures of on two blogs.  The last being "The Quilt History Report".  I have been wanting to try stitching a block and this is what I came up with.
I don't know that I want to go any further with it.  I don't care for doing applique with solid color fabrics.  The stitching shows more than with patterned fabrics.  But it satisfied my curiousity to take time to play and see if I could recreate a block.

I am going to be working in the sewing room today finishing the preparation of applique parts for the rest of the spring quilt.  I have three blocks ready to stitch now and not too much to go.  The ones left are the ones with the most little parts.

I hope you enjoyed your visit today.
Karen

22 comments:

  1. Such beautiful blocks Karen!
    Congratulations on getting them all finished. I can't wait to see them all sewn into a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good looking blocks! The indian is cool for a young guy quilt! Greetings
    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blocks sure are pretty. I just love those fabrics. Is that from a certain line of fabrics just for these blocks? Or just some goodies from the stash? So nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blocks are very pretty !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have enjoyed following your progress with the millenium blocks. you do beautiful work.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blocks! How fun to play around with the Indian applique. It looks great, but I am pretty sure I'd never make a quilt with just Indians:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to seeing Millennium Garden all together. Love all the blocks and congrats on a finish! Also enjoying your Birdsong. Love all the prints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting to be so close to a finish on this beautiful quilt!
    The Indian block looks really good. What do you think you will do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed today's visit tremendously! Wonderful blocks. Can't wait to see your MG come to life.
    Happy Sewing- tomorrow I intend to do the same, sewing room here I come!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to seeing Millenium Garden all put together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen,
    I always like what you are doing. These are all very nice blocks. I haven't seen the inspiration quilt for the indian. I'll have to search it out. Have fun with all your pieces/parts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great blocks!
    I love the indian, reminds of the one on a tootsie pop wrapper
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. LIKE!! and visiting your blog is always very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to pop over and see what the Log Cabin Quilter has been up to lately! ;) As always everything is stunning...you SO make me want to go sew!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really like the Millennium Garden blocks, Karen. And your fabrics! Not too keen on solids either, but the Indian is very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful blocks as always your fabric selection is beautiful.
    I've seen that indian on vintage quilts and read about the placement (direction of the block in a 4 block) Will have to look that up! Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Millenium Garden quilt is going to be smashing! I like your little house block, too. I agree with you about doing applique with solid fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Millennium blocks are so pretty!!! LOVING the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had this pattern for years...always loved it! Your quilt is going to be wonderful, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, that Millennium garden quilt is going to be so pretty. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the Millennium garden blocks, the first one is very interesting. Applique with solid colours, you have me nervous now! If I ever get to it, I have a large applique project using all solid fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Spring Fling quilt is lovely. The colors are so soothing and fresh. I enjoyed the quilt show pictures too. A combination of Sue Spargo and Halloween couldn't have turned out cuter. The Millenium Garden is much different from yours and it was fun to see another variation. Quilters are so amazing with the variety of things "we" come up with.

    ReplyDelete