QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Thursday, March 22, 2012

A TRIO OF FINISHES

I have three finished pieces to share with you today.  First is, "Partridge In A Pear Tree".  It hasn't been too long ago that I completed the quilt top.  Now it is machine quilted, washed, dried and ready for display.  This is a piece I will spread across the sofa back.  The pattern I used was in "Homespun Hearth" by Jan Patek.

 

The second finish is the "Summer Flower Bouquet" I made earlier this week.  I machine quilted it and got brave with the border.  I marked the corner shell design for quilting but free-formed the swags.  When I got done with the quilting, I thought I had made a mistake just winging it without marking.  But now that it is fresh out of the washer and dryer, I like the charm of it.  Gives it a more prim style look.  You might not choose to do it that way but I am happy with the result.

And the last finish is a wool piece.  I used a punch needle pattern by Robin Leuschen called "Rabbit Parade".  I have never conquered punch needle projects so I enlarged the pattern for doing wool applique.  You can visit Robin's blog, "Bird in Hand Primitives" here.  The pattern was one you download so immediate gratification.
The background for the rabbit piece is wool but not the type you would use for applique pieces as it ravels and will not felt.  It is more like a suiting fabric and was a sample piece from a decorating firm. The rabbit reminds me of the "Walking Rabbit" pieces I made.  You can see two of them here.

I am off to play in the sewing room.
Karen

31 comments:

  1. I recognize that rabbits jacket! He sure is handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all lovely! You're so talented.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, I really like the Easter one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! you finished the birds already. They are all so great. I am off to check out the bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all three of these but especially the rabbit...well, maybe the partridge too. who could pick a favorite?! They are all wonderful :-) That's a great wool plaid for a background.
    Have fun playing in the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, they all look wonderful. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many beautiful finishes this week! All are equally AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all three Karen! Way to sew! Your quilted shells look great. And the rabbit made me think of your walking rabbits too. :-) Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the little rabbit. You are so creative using a punch needle pattern for applique. It turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all three!! Taht rabbit is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like them all, but the summer bouquet is my favorite. Your quilting looks great. I think you made a good call.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, three finishes isn't too shabby, congratulations for the finishes. They're all great but I love the birds best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all your finished quilts. Right up my alley! Always fun to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love them all! Your bunnies always looking like they are actually real nes - I mean they look like moving like the real ones! Fun following them :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet, sweet and sweeter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done Karen, I especially love the rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mr. Bunny is a handsome fellow and I love the plaid background.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen,
    Love your trio! The machine quilted border is perfect for your little quilt. You should have the confidence to free hand quilt from now on! It is always fun to see what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty finishes! You go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Three beautiful pieces. I love the rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karen I love the bunny - he's my favorite. But also think the quilting is great and love the way the free motion quilting turned out. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've had "homespun hearth" for years and keep meaning to pull it out to make this little quilt. Now I'm inspired again! I'll have to go search for it on my bookshelf. You did a great job with all of these and I like the quilting on the flower bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your three finishes. How do you get so much done?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful finishes! It feels so good, doesn't it? I especially love your summer bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a handsome young man you have marching across your header.

    I love all 3 quilts you are showing us today, but I think my favourite is the Summer Bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow...look at you go!! They are all so gorgeous, I can't pick a favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job on repurposing the punch needle design. I love the result!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your blog is so great !! I'll come back !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! You are such a prolific quilter! Love all your work! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete