QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Monday, April 2, 2012

BLOCKS FOR AN ASSORTMENT OF QUILTS

I have some quilt blocks to share with you today that belong to different projects that I am working on.  First one is an applique block for the Miami Valley reproduction quilt.  To make a pattern, I trace a block in one of the book's pictures.  Many of the blocks are only one inch in the book so I have to enlarge the design quite a bit.  It gets rather grainy looking.  I then trace from that and try to come up with a suitable pattern.

Next up is block two for the BOM I am working on this year called "Town and Country" by Jan Patek.  This block has a barn and chicken coop.  We had a chicken coop when I was growing up but I don't ever remember chickens being in it.  I used half of the building to play school in.  I was the teacher and the neighborhood kids came every day to be my students.  Lots of fun.  It was red like the one in the block.

I pulled out a UFO project that is Cheri's "Sweet Land of Liberty" pattern set.  I haven't worked on it in a good while.  The Lady Liberty is from a Jan Patek pattern substituting for the one in Cheri's pattern.  I made it a good while ago but I don't know that I ever showed it.  The embroidery was already done for the star.  I just needed to sew the parts together.  The pineapple block, I just finished this evening.

The last picture is basket blocks that are for a new project I have in the works.  It will be going into a smaller size quilt and is for a gift.  I think everyone likes red and white quilts.
I will be heading back to the sewing room shortly to work on the red and white quilt.  I have a good bit of work to do on it.
Happy stitching!
Karen

26 comments:

  1. Love the blocks. Love the red and white baskets. That basket pattern is one of my favorites.
    Loved the story of your chicken coop growing up. I wouldn't dare use my chicken coop to play school in ;), it's a bit 'foul' !! That's a sweet story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blocks. I love the ones you are drawing yourself - well done!!
    I agree, a red and white basket is sure to be LOVED by the lucky person you are gifting it to.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, blogger won't let me leave a comment..........I had tried saying how great all your blocks are but it kicked me off! Let's see if it works this time: your blocks are all great......:-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that pineapple block! and the Love Letters quilt will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what your working on - always an inspiration when you post. Those little red baskets are just sweet

    Hugs - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love red, green and cheddar so project one is a real winner in my book. The red and white baskets? Well, that's fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to sew Karen! All of your blocks are lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous blocks!!! What joyful things your hands find to do....

    ReplyDelete
  9. The block you have reproduced is beautiful. Sounds like a true labor of love to create the pattern.
    Great chicken coop story--and I adore that lady liberty.
    Good stuff, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some really great projects in the works. I love your applique and the red baskets are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your just a busy little bee!
    love all your applique blocks and the pieced baskets are going to be wonderful in a quilt. What a lucky person to receive a gift like this...
    I LOVE your first block its on my to do list too
    I have been making blocks from that book too
    great fabric choices, just makes me smile
    thanks for sharing
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  12. So what is your favorite color? Your favorite block..? Love the blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...looks like progress on many things! I love that lady liberty block and yes indeed...red and white works for me! Good to be reminded that baby steps gets it done!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a wonderful variety of quilts to work on. Your larger appliqué block is great and everyone loves red and white quilt patterns. Isn't it fun when you can incorporate your childhood story into the story of your new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the variety of projects you are working on!! I can't get enough of the r&w so that is my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great blocks in the works.
    The farm yard scene is charming - I keep thinking I'd like to keep chickens myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great projects! Love the little red and white baskets and your appliqué projects and repro are beautiful. Love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in love with your applique block. And even more now that I know you are drawing out the patterns yourself - what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love them all Karen! You are my heroine...
    smiles
    The other Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the little red chicken coop. It is so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is fun when a quilt project reminds us of a special time in our childhood! As always, lot so great projects going.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of beautiful blocks Karen!! You have been very busy getting lots done!
    I love the applique block. It is great you are making your own pattern.

    Very cute barn and chicken coop!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all your blocks...particularly the farm block. Cute! And of COURSE Sweet Land of Liberty... the kit that is languishing in my cabinet. Sigh. Maybe someday soon...

    ReplyDelete
  24. came by to see what you have been up to. OOOO!!!! lots of fun things. love the bird on the vine/flowers.

    ReplyDelete