QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

MY SPECIAL QUILT

Lori of "Humble Quilts" suggested that I join in on the Jubilee project several bloggers are participating in even though I am long past my 50th birthday.  I told her that I had already made my "ME" quilt quite some time ago. She asked me to share it with pictures on my blog.  I actually have shown it on my blog before but in a single picture that would not enlarge.  I waited for our friends to be here so they could hold the quilt up for a full picture as it is a large quilt.  Even with them holding the quilt, the bottom is not a straight on view. 

The first two pictures were taken outside on the lanai which is all screened.  The sun cast a shadow of one of the screen enclosure bars across the quilt.  We then tried taking pictures inside.  So four pictures trying to show the whole quilt.


The quilt was made in 1999 and represents things that I like and people that mean a lot to me.  It is not the only scenic quilt that I made with buildings on them.  They also represent other people in my life too.  I was inspired by a quilt shown in the book "Round Robin Quilts".  The quilt that inspired me was made by Gayle Noyes and is titled "All My Quilting Friends Are Stars".  Her quilt had a scenic border with sky, mountains, forest, and on the bottom, water and a sailboat.  The quilt center features a feathered star design.  I had seen a quilt in Quilters Newsletter magazine that was a Lone Star quilt using the bird fabric for the background.  I am not sure if my bird fabric is the very same but it sure looked like it.

I decided to create buildings on my borders.  I started with the covered bridge.  I have had an interest in covered bridges ever since I was young and went for rides in the country with my family.  I loved seeing the bridges, walking across them or driving in the car.  There are so many different types of construction used in making them.  They represent a slower pace of life.
I have always liked the looks of log cabins and would like to live in one.  That is why I named my blog "Log Cabin Quilter".  So I created a log cabin on my quilt.  I had the perfect fabric for the log section of the house and for the rock chimney.
I like apples and visiting an apple orchard in the fall for some real apple cider.  Something we can't do in Florida.  I used fabric with apples and leaves printed on it to create my apple orchard.
I also like to see old barns so I created a farm scene on the left border.  A farmhouse, barn, and an out building.  I used novelty prints to get my chickens and cow.  And I found a print that would be suitable for a haystack.
In addition to covered bridges, I have always liked grist mills.  We have traveled many side roads to see the bridges and mills.  I also like willow trees.  As a child, we had one in our front yard.  And a neighbor had a huge one in their yard.  The kids would play house under the branches.
I then began to create the village scene across the bottom.  The post office represents my friend Cathy whose husband was a mailman.  I like the little mailbox in front of the building.  The Travel Agency represents our good friends who have been visiting the last several days.  They used to plan a lot of trips for their friends (including us).  They never owned a travel agency but John has always been good at researching  the areas and planning what to see.  We have vacationed together many times.
"Dombek's Country Sausage" is named for my friend Pat.  Her heritage is Polish and it made me think of Polish sausage.

Next comes "Davies Country Produce".  My friend Lucy always liked to garden though I think it was mainly flowers.
The red brick building is called "Lynda's Dairy Bar" for my friend who worked for a dairy doing office work.  The sign on the window says "Shakes, Malts, Burgers, and Hand-Dipped Cones".  The white wood looking building with the flag is called "Liberty Books".  A fictional book store.  I like to read and that represents this.  The tan brick building is called "Hayworth's Apothecary" for my good pharmacist friend Margo.  I worked as a pharmacy technician with her for several years.
The red brick building in the next photo is a quilt shop.  I am sure you can guess why I included that.  There are quilt blocks in the window and a quilt by the front door on the outside of the building.  Those are from a printed fabric.  The tan building with the blue roof is "Beigh's Bakery".  I used to bake often to share with  my co-workers.  The darker red building with the flag is called "Goddess Chocolates" just because a town should have a candy shop.  I am not big on eating chocolate and I much prefer milk chocolate to dark chocolate when I do eat some.  Several friends have called me "Goddess" for a long time.  A joke that started at work and is all in fun.  
 I did not get the whole blue building in the picture.  It is called "Burke's Buttons and Lace, Fine Silks" as those are the things she collects and drools over.
The white building with the red door is an antique shop.  I had to have one of those as I like to browse in antique shops.
I had to create a golf course for my husband.  That is his only hobby.  The building says "McGregor Country Golf".  There are two tombstones below the building and close to the antique shop.  One has my husband's name on it and says "Darrell Beigh. Died on the 18th hole.  Scored 72."  And I put a future date that would give him a long life.  He has never had a 72 score so I figure that would be his accomplishment.  My tombstone says, "Karen Beigh.  Died with needle in hand and quilt on her lap."  And again a future date for a long life.
I forgot to have our friends hold the back of the quilt up for a photo so I draped it over a footstool so you can see part of it.  I used a fabric for the center that is an apple orchard print.  The lighter border is sliced apples.  There is also a border that is a farm scene print.
I made the quilt in 2 1/2 weeks from start to finish.  I spent many hours per day working on it.  Once I knew where I was going with the design, I couldn't wait to have the finished product.  The applique is fused and machine stitched.  I did the applique with the donut method where the fabric remains soft.  The fence below the grist mill was created to cover a seam line when I made the bottom border and did not have fabric to blend the side border with it.  On the right side of the quilt, I used a stone print to make a stone wall to blend the orchard  in with the bottom border.  The sky is stripped pieced from many different fabrics that had an appropriate look.

I displayed the quilt at a show one time.  After I brought the quilt home from the show and unfolded it, I found a note tucked into it.  It was from someone wanting to purchase the quilt.  I could not part with it.  My husband said it would be like selling one of the family and that is true.

Lots of pictures in this post.  Hope you enjoyed looking.
Karen

50 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Karen, that quilt is pretty amazing! How fun to have such a personalized meaningful quilt!! It really is a big one too! 2 1/2 weeks!? Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt Karen, and in only 2 1/2 weeks, amazing! It is great that it has so much meaning for you, you did a wonderful job with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! Karen, this is a special quilt indeed! Sew creative how the buildings represent your friends and the landscape borders are gorgeous not to mention the lone star, log cabin pieced inner border. An amazing quilt! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh! This quilt is magnificent!!! It is an heirloom quilt if ever there was one!! Amazing!! thanks so much for sharing!! Wow!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing attention to detail, Karen!! I can't believe you did it in 2 1/2 weeks! Would have taken me that long to choose fabric, let alone just make the center star!!
    Thanks for the tour of the village--what fun! This is an incredible quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, Karen, Karen!!!
    This is simply aMAzing. I am going back once again to re-read everything. I have never heard of a "ME" quilt and am intrigued. Thank you for sharing this one! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your quilt and your sharing the details. ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. this quilt is incredible! I love all the personal details and that is a story of YOU. How wonderful in every way!
    Have you shown this quilt and shared it with the world? I hope so, it's fabulous. I love the farm scene and the buildings and you integrated everything's so beautifully.
    Hats off and hooray for you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how detailed you got with your 'me' quilt. It's so incredible to me that you finished it in 2 1/2 weeks! Wow! I would have needed 2 1/2 years!! What a great sentimental quilt.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely and memorable quilt! It is surely a Jubilee celebration. The story that goes along with it is sweet and full of love. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Karen, I have never seen anything like your amazing quilt! What an heirloom-truely special and such detail!
    Thanks so much for sharing, I am so inspired as I too had neer heard of a 'me' quilt.
    Shazy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen--What a fantastic piece of work; I just LOVE the buildings and meaningful sites all 'round that glorious center. A quilt of a lifetime!! I hadn;t ever heard of a "me" quilt, either....sounds like a lot of thought goes into the planning...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love it too!! i like the applique border with all the personal details. i have filed that away for a future quilt!

    thanks SO much for sharing. i truly enjoyed reading and seeing all the details!!

    did i mention i loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a very 'special' quilt! Absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen - thank you so much for sharing your quilt and all the stories! Truly a special treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is stunning!!!. . . & even better than that - it's such a work of 'heart' & that truly does make it priceless! I love the idea of a 'me' quilt. . .! Thank you so much for sharing yours & the wonderful stories woven within it!
    xo, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, Karen...that is one amazing quilt and the story you told makes it so special.

    Absolutely gorgeous and a work of art. I am totally awestruck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful quilt. The fussy cut fabrics just make the quilt..Outstanding work..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Karen - what an amazing quilt!! I loved reading about the significance of all the buildings ect... How wonderful to include so much detail in your village and farm. I can't believe how fast you made it too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zowie Karen!! I am drooling! 2.5 weeks!!?? Oh gosh! I think I'll be back to look again and again for at least 2.5 weeks! What a fantastic quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful quilt!! You are so talented and you did all that in 2 1/2 weeks. Thank you for showing it and explaining all the buildings and their place in your life.
    I really enjoy reading your blog.
    Gloria
    gyates625@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thats a special quilt Karen and a lovely story. Very beautiful.

    Heleni

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is no way that I would have parted with this keepsake either. It is a beauty and with all those special bits...priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are amazing!! This is fabulous - beginning to end. I love quilts that have special meaning - but you've won the prize I think. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that is an amazing quilt Karen! And I can't believe it only took you 2 and a half weeks! I would still be working on that if I was the one making it. I'm slow!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an amazing quilt, Karen! And with so much personal meaning put into it. The graveyard made me laugh. I would not have parted with it either!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Very impressive! A very special quilt. I can see why you couldn't sell it. No way!

    ReplyDelete
  27. your quilt is amazing, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a special quilt. I enjoyed your description as much as the quilt. So much detail and thoughtfulness.
    All the way through to the back! It is a celebration of firendship and joy. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow!! Such an amazing quilt!! I can't believe you made it so quickly. It is a wonderful treasure for sure!❤

    ReplyDelete
  30. A lovely piece of work! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness! What a truly fantastic quilt! I sure wish you lived out West as I would love to take a class from you. I love all of you quilts and this one is stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your quilt is amazing with so many stories attached. It certainly is a "me" quilt. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Waht an amazing quilt Karen!! So many wonderful memories represented!! No wonder you could not part with it!!
    Absolutely beautiful!!!
    Warm Blessings~~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gob. Smacked. Jaw on the floor. This is beyond amazing....and then when I read how quickly you put it all together, holy cow! I was expecting to read 2 years, lol! I LOVE this quilt and I don't blame you for never parting with it, it's priceless!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Incredible!! I just love the fabrics that you chose and I can only imagine how much fun it was to pick each one to achieve your final detail.
    What a driven passion to complete in such a short time I hope it hangs on your wall so that you can view it everyday and always think of these fond memories.
    Your design really gives great incentive for those that want to venture into their own creativity.
    Just love it!! thanks for sharing your wonderful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  36. Karen that is just amazing. I love your village scene with all the buildings having a special meaning for you. As for it taking 2 1/2 weeks, did you stop to sleep or eat, etc at all during that time?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Karen the quilt is just so special and creative in so many ways. I loved the stories of why you added each piece to the quilt....oh what an heirloom for sure,
    no way could you ever sell this. Its truly a quilt from your heart and memories of your life.
    just beautiful
    I am in awe.....
    thanks soooo much for sharing it with us
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my goodness what a treasured quilt and with special meaning behind it, beautiful job. I had to pick my jaw up - 2 1/2 weeks - WOWZERS.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, what a stunning quilt. And so special too! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow!!! What a beautiful quilt full of wonderful memories for you, your DH and your friends.
    A precious heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Karen, that quilt is beautiful. I love i!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Zowie - that is an amazing quilt. You inspire me (& intimidate me). Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  43. The quilt is wonderful but I am most impressed with your creativity. I cannot imagine coming up with all of those appliques and you did such a great job with them.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your quilt is amazing....love the story with it.

    ReplyDelete
  45. It is fantastic, I love it! What a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I too just really adore this quilt, and I know it must be so special to you...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Incredibly quilt, Karen. Thank you for sharing your story, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow !!!! very beautiful

    Hugs , Anna

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love your "ME" quilt! Wonderful descriptions! I found you from Anne's blog, Cottons and Wool. So glad as I have enjoyed each post I have just read! I made a "me" quilt , sort of, as well. It is the quilt pictured as my profile pic. If you are interested, you can read about "Life in the Midwest" on my website under My Favorite Things page. It is fun to know the history of quilts! Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I really enjoyed studying your quilt. Loved that you included so many pictures and told the whole story. Now I'd really love to get hold of that bird print...

    ReplyDelete