QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Thursday, June 7, 2012

LIBERTY HOUSES AND A MASH UP

Where have I been?  Either in the sewing room or glued to my chair watching television and doing applique.  I just finished putting borders onto two wall size quilts.  The first is "Liberty Houses" which is a pattern by Jan Patek in the book "Liberty Garden".
A fellow prim lover posted a picture of her "Liberty Houses" quilt recently.  Once I realized that I had the book the pattern is in and most of the same fabrics as the sample in the book, I was off and running to make my own.  The triangles on the borders are appliqued on.  I stitched enough of them for 1 1/2 quilts.  The side borders are cut two inches longer than the top and bottom borders.  I got parts confused and did not leave room for the stars on the corners.  A triangle removal and re-sewing on two of the borders before I finally was able to complete them.

I also finished my Cheri mash-up quilt (as Libby from "Plain and Simple" calls the technique).  It is parts from two of Cheri's patterns.  It is done in wool on cotton applique.
Today, I started on the final block for "The Bible Quilt".  It is a double the width of the other blocks in the quilt so it will need more time for the stitching than parts of the quilt.  There was a kit for the quilt on E-Bay that sold a few days ago.  No bids until very late in the auction.  I thought someone was going to get a very good buy but in the end it went for about $110.  Still a good price.

Lori from "Humble Quilts"  has two interesting posts about quilt magazines.  If you haven't already read them, be sure to visit her blog.

Time to stitch.  I hope you are doing the same.
Karen

24 comments:

  1. Busy hands, happy heart! You absolutely amaze me. :-)

    Were your ears ringing today? I was chatting with a friend about you. All good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these finishes, they will look nice hanging together on your wall somewhere. I read Lori's posts, very good. Glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I think those that do handwork maybe focus more on the process? It's slow and steady progress, nothing fast and "do it in a weekend" when appliquing so we are losing interest in the big block, quick and easy patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liberty Houses is adorable!! Nice work!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. your liberty houses is very sweet and i love the simple tree on the other. when i see your lovely work it inspires me to keep up with the applique work as it is so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. always enjoy watching your quilts in progress and finishes....very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the "Liberty Houses" quilt. Very nice patriotic birdie homes. : )
    I've been "reworking" a mini quilt this evening. did some miscalculating and it has taken up all of my available stitching time to correct my error. Love it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my - I think I'm going to have a new favorite quilt of yours - I LOVE this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your beautiful quiltwork.

    Heleni

    ReplyDelete
  9. You continue to amaze me...love Liberty House...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Liberty Houses WH! Perfect for the summer season. Both your projects look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, Karen this is wonderful!!!! Beautiful work, as always.

    Hope you have a great weekend.

    :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been busy. I love the colors and your fabric choices for the Liberty Houses. It's has so many things going on and I love the fact that you persevered and made everything work out. Isn't that what's all about anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely applique! I thought you were done with the Bible quilt. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those bird houses are just so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is no surprise to me that you already had much of the fabric in your stash for your new quilt Karen! I recall some pictures you posted once...oh my I wouldn't mind spending the day rummaging through all your fabric!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your blocks! Any Pics of the Miami Valley Quilt you mentioned? from BB at Playroom Banter

    ReplyDelete
  17. Liberty Garden is adorable.....love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Liberty Houses and Chri mash-up quilts are just too cute. Your color combinations are great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful projects - Love your header too.
    I want to come and play in your fabric stash ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it and love all the colors too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anything prim....just love anything prim. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  22. You amaze me with all you get done! Love the Liberty House and the Cherie mash up is wonderful too! I wish I could sit down and play with you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the "Liberty Houses." Those border triangles were appliqued on? That's a different technique...

    ReplyDelete