QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern called "Twelve Days of Christmas"..

Friday, July 13, 2012

TRAVEL PROJECT

I have been oh so busy prepping a new applique project.  I wanted a hand stitching project that would be very portable and easy to work on.  I selected this quilt pattern in the book "Simple Pleasures".
I have enough parts prepped for two quilts.  The star blocks will be machine sewn.

Next, I wanted a way to store the different applique block parts.  I decided to make a notebook with see through top load file holders.  I should have purchased a notebook that would hold more as once I added the background pieces to each vinyl pocket, the notebook is pretty stuffed.  But once each block is done, the notebook will not look so stuffed.
I wanted the notebook to look nice so I made a cover for it and added one of the applique flowers for the quilt pattern to the front of it.
The inside of the front has a pocket perfect for storage of the pattern book.
I already have a tote that I made quite some time ago (I have shared a picture on my blog in the past).
There is an outside pocket on each side of the tote bag and pockets inside.  Plus an attached pincushion.
There will be room for the pillow  to slide in that I use on my lap for resting my applique on.  And I will be able to carry along thread, scissors, needle, etc.

The only problem with the folders is that the pieces can easily slide out of the openings.  I am thinking of adding a strip of tape to the top of each to close it until I am ready to take the parts out.  I looked online at Office Depot for zipper storage files and they would add up to over $100 for 20 of them which is the number of blocks for each quilt.  Too much money.  Any ideas?  I don't think I will have any problem with losing parts as long as I put the notebook in the tote bag with the top of the notebook pointing upwards.  But I can see that parts might come out when I have the notebook spread out and moving it around.

I purchased the new "Pumpkin Threads" book by Need'l Love.  Such good fall projects.  You can see the projects from the book on Need'l Love's website here.  Just click on the Threads book section and you can select the book and see a slide show of the projects.
I love the wool pumpkin coasters.  The fall quilt on the bed is wonderful!

I am heading back to the sewing room to enjoy my day.
Karen

22 comments:

  1. Boy, you are organized and set to go! I am impressed. This is going to be a beautiful quilt.
    I love all of the fall themed projects in the book.
    I haven't ever looked for them, but would a dollar store have some inexpensive zippered pockets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are all set to go! How great to have all the pieces ready to do the handwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is organized! Yes, I would just tape it or consider putting your pieces in a zip lock bag and then putting that in the clear folder. Have a great day sewing,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought for sure they had the type that seal at top at Walmart from when my guys needed them. Check there. If you use tape choose the kind that painters use so you won't have a messy residue. I think it is a purple tape. Another thought is clips. You are very organized. I could never do stitching in a moving vehicle...I get I'll just trying to read a map.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's well worth the effort to get a project prepped like this - wish I was as organised! I like how you have thought everything through. I also like the painters' tape idea - I use it a lot in my cave and love it! Your new project is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for holding your project in progress. Maybe some adhesive velcro dots would keep things in place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just couldn't call ourselves quilters if we didn't want to make the cutest of all organizational carry items to tote our quilting around with us *s* Love what you have made and I'm sure it will serve you perfectly *s*

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I thought I was organized when we went on our vacation but you have me beat by a mile. I do, however, love your organization as that is much the same as what I do in the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your traveling organization to pieces. That looks inspirational all on it's own!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would zip lock freezer bags work, you could 3 hole punch them. Maybe, they would be too large. Just a thought.
    You are so organized, I guess that is why you get so much done.
    Love your blog as always.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! What an awesome way to get organized...you're set to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No wonder you get so much done...you are so organized!! Are you planning a trip soon?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a suggestion for zippered pockets that may work for you. Buy a box of good quality Ziplok bags (gallon size) Fold a length of clear packing tape across the bottom edge; then use a three-hole punch on that tape re-enforced edge. These last a long time and are cheap to replace when they wear out. I hope this works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow are you organized. I LOVE the way you work! I was thinking binder clips across the top, but dollar store ziplock bags might work too. Just punch holes. I use ziplock bags for EVERYTHING. Never thought of putting them in a binder, I might have to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Someone makes page protectors that have a narrow piece at the top that flips over the top and seals that page protector. (A fellow teacher used them, and they may have come from Staples, but I don't remember the brand.)
    I love to put separate blocks or separate shapes in page protectors in a notebook, but I just use a couple heavy duty (meaning, large) paper clips. It's worked so far, but I have to admit I haven't carried them on a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great system you have organized! What about putting little pieces inside a ziploc bag, and then putting it in the plastic sleeve?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a pattern that I designed that is just for this type of organization. You can take a peek on my website if interested. I organize the same way and cover binders as well, but I add a zipper closure around the binder. You could also use safety pins across the top, or make a diagonal fold across the top of the folder and pin or clip. How about stick on Velcro to seal your folders? Or, stitch a fabric flap on top and fold it over the top to seal the top. Just let the fabric hang over and I bet things would stay put. The book you are working from is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your notebook is a great way to organize. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've read all the comments and there are some great ideas. I think I'd probably go low tech and just staple the tops closed. But then that would mean the clear pages wouldn't look as nice to use again. Thanks for sharing all your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adhesive backed velcro dots might work - you can cut them smaller. I keep my travel applique on a book w/pages of quilt batting at it's like a felt board.
    LOVE your project. That plaid background is fabulous.
    Have safe and fun travels!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love an organizer!! The notebook looks perfect. Sorry I don't have any answers about the opening.
    When are you leaving and coming back?

    ReplyDelete
  22. That notebook idea is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete