QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Pond Racing".

Sunday, August 19, 2012

COTTAGE FLOWER BLOCKS

Back in July, I prepped an applique project for vacation stitching.  In a previous post, I mentioned that the lighting at the cabin we were staying in was not good for the stitching.  I did a few blocks as best as I could.  Since returning home, I made several more blocks.  I thought I would share them with you.  Some of the pictures are not well aimed.  When I raise my arms to place the blocks on the design wall or to aim the camera, I have lower back pain.  It gets worse the more I do it.  So I took the pictures rather quickly and a few none too well.

I am making a duplicate of each block for a second quilt.    I have the duplicates stitched but will not show them in the post.  Some of the flower designs are repeated in the quilt but I have used different fabrics on those.
















Ten more blocks to applique and then the pieced blocks that go between.  The blocks will be set on point.  The pattern is called "Cottage Flowers" and is in the book "Simple Pleasures".  The designers for this pattern is Alma Allen and Jan Patek.

Today, I spent a little time prepping blocks for Lori Smith's "Mrs. L:incoln's Sampler".  The reason for starting yet another project is that my travel applique project notebook will soon be empty and I won't have anything ready for a jaunt in the car.  I prepped three of those blocks this afternoon.

Now to sit, relax, and stitch.

Karen

31 comments:

Melanie said...

I love the purple flower-- my favorite... which is yours?

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Beautiful blocks are going to make a beautiful quilt! I know about starting a new project so I have something always ready for the road!

Kyle said...

Your new blocks are very sweet and I love your color selections. I didnt realize Alma Allen and Jan Patak had collaborated on a project together. It's good to have projects prepped ahead so you can take advantage of stolen moments here or there. Hope your back pain gets better.

sunny said...

I'm going to love this quilt! What a great idea to always have a vacation list. We'll be taking a long weekend away soon, followed by a week's vacation. I've already been thinking about what projects need to be prepped for travel.

Doniene said...

Just absolutely lovely!!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your cottage flower blocks are just darling! Wow - you've gotten a lot of them done! That's a LOT of pretty handwork!

The Civil War Quilter said...

Love the Cottage Flowers blocks! Fun!

Danice said...

Very beautiful, as are all of your quilts. I think my favorite is the 8th from the top photo, the one with the green stem and the round blossoms :)

Elzaan said...

Beautiful blocks.
Hope your back feels better soon.

audrey said...

So sorry about your back.:( Your cottage flower blocks are wonderful. Love the simplicity.

Betweens said...

Karen thanks for the effort on displaying your lovely blocks your applique is wonderful! and you are making 2 that is just amazing!
I understand about back problems I hope you are able to get some relief as you sit and relax.

moosecraft said...

Love the fabrics and flowers in these blocks! Looking forward to seeing them all together!

Quilt Hollow said...

These I adore! I just love the simplicity and color choices. Hope all is well there...I've been somewhat quiet in Blogland comments. I've seen all your post and think I need to appliqué. Are you laughing?

Cheryl said...

Sorry to hear your back is giving you such a fit! The cottage flower blocks are to die for, especially set on that stripe. I have always admired Mrs. Lincoln's Sampler...cannot wait to see your version. BTW, if you just cannot find someone to give those duplicates to, I will be glad to take them...teehee.

Me and My Stitches said...

Wow - you have been busy! Great blocks - I really love that stripe. Hope your back gets better soon - back pain is never fun to deal with.

Yvette said...

I love those!
I bought the Mrs Lincoln's pattern. I look forward to your blocks, it's a gorgeous quilt.

Yvette said...

I love those!
I bought the Mrs Lincoln's pattern. I look forward to your blocks, it's a gorgeous quilt.

claire witherspoon said...

Hey Karen,
The applique blocks are wonderful. I love all the muted colors. It feels very peaceful. I'm going to check out that book. cheers, Claire W.

Olga Cabello said...

Nice blog. I will be following you.

Kisses.

Olga (Barcelona-Spain)

Barb said...

your blocks look great - and doing 2 of each! good for you. Love the striped background, soft and pretty.

Colleen said...

Love the blocks, Karen! Very pretty. Can't wait to see it come together :o)

Anna said...

Beautiful blocks !!! to make a beautiful quilt

Hugs , Anna

Lori said...

I love these big chunky applique blocks!! Really Love 'em!

Now, what's with your back? Something getting worse? I'm so sorry.

LuAnn said...

What great blocks, and I'm pretty sure that book is on my shelf. I also bought Mrs. Lincoln's Sampler at Lori's booth in Paducah. I love all the plaids you've used in your blocks.

Libby said...

I always love your projects and this one is no exception!

CATHERINE DANIEL said...

Beautiful - I want to eat them all ! xCathy

Dixie said...

Wonderful blocks, Karen! I imagine they are quick, gratifying, and oh so fun to make! This quilt will be right up my alley!

Carrie P. said...

Oh, I love those flowers. I am going to have to look for that book.

MARCIE said...

Such sweet and simple blocks. Love the name Cottage Flowers. BBD always nails it!

Wendy said...

These blocks are fantastic. And you are making doubles, I'm lucky to have one quilt done.

Cynthia@aquilterbynight said...

These flowers are so sweet and charming - I love them!