QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern called "Twelve Days of Christmas"..

Friday, August 17, 2012

PRINCESS FEATHER DESIGN

I have admired an antique quilt spotted on a blog for a while now.  Click here to see the picture of the modified Princess Feather quilt in blue/green, yellow, and red.  I printed out the picture, traced the lines and then enlarged the design 300%.
The lines become grainy and thick when enlarging this much.  I traced over the shapes smoothing lines and modifying to make things a bit easier to stitch.  Then I made freezer paper templates.  I chose some Blackbird Designs fabrics from the Garden Party line.  I added in a tan for the flower pot from stash.  I was going to use a Garden Party background piece but ended up going with a piece from a Minnick & Simpson line of fabric.

When trying to decide on which background to use, I placed them side by side and started laying applique shapes on them.  I think the Minnick/Simpson fabric gives it a softer look.  That's the one on the left side of the picture below.

I use bias strip makers by Clover.  I like to spray the bias strips with regular spray starch and press a bit to dry before running them through the strip makers.  It helps to hold the turned under seam allowance edges in place.

Once the background was cut, I pressed it into quarters.  I also folded the applique design into fourths and then placed it under the background fabric matching the pressed lines to the fold lines on the paper.  I used a washout blue pen to mark lines for the stems, leaves, and the pot.  I am not concerned about things being exact as I like prim style.

Now I am stitching the bias stems to the background.  Call me crazy for starting a new project when I have so many in the works already.  But I think most quilters have done the same thing many times over.  Back to my stitching.
Karen

21 comments:

  1. Crazy, maybe, but I LOVE this!! Don't blame you for having to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the process you went through. I never thought of "auditioning" a background like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Karen! The process is almost as fun as the outcome ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be a great block. Thanks for showing the progress and telling us what you were thinking along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're in good company as far as starting new projects while others are still in the works. My philosophy is that as long as you work cyclically and move things forward, there's nothing wrong at all in having many projects in the works at any given time. Especially when you're talking about big quilts that take a long time to do.

    Thanks for showing how you auditioned background fabric - I probably wouldn't have thought of cutting the pieces out to audition, settling instead for folding the intended fabrics and imagining the proportion of colors - and I have 2 major applique quilts coming up on my will-start-within-the-year dream-sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the lesson! I can't believe I never used starch for the bias tape maker..... would have made that wedding quilt soooo much easier! Lol, live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, I like to starch my fabric before I cut my bias strips, then I run them through the tape maker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for showing your process. It's going to be another great from you.

    We all have too many irons...a.k.a. projects....in the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great block. I can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for the process photos. They are the ones that really inspire me. I've had my own stash of fantasy photos and might have to give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it Karen! Are you going to do one block? 4 blocks? it's a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are not crazy! You are addicted to appliqué just like the rest of us! Ha! This will look very pretty. The softer colors will give it an antique feel. It will be so pretty! Thanks for a good reminder on how to do bias!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your coxcomb design is great. I understand what you mean when you wonder why you started a new project when you have others to finish. I think I do it because I need some stimulation to get me going. Then I have more desire to finish an uncompleted project when I finish the other one. Or maybe it is just guilt?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the same Clover bias strip maker, so thanks for the tip about starching. I think I'll try that. Oh, and I sure don't blame you for starting another project. Sometimes, when I do, I wonder "Why did I do that?" It seems like I start something else without actually thinking about how many other projects I have going. But, I might need a handwork project to work on, or just want some variety in what I am doing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since all of the needle arts require some sort of creativity... it's best to work on the projects your feeling rather than the one you think you "should" be working on. The project usually runs smoother that way! This coxcomb design is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This project is going to be an heirloom! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your process. I especially like your tip for making bias. Good to know.
    BTW love the background on your Quilt Along Finish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very creative... looks like something (process) I would probably do too if I couldn't find what I was looking for.

    Let's not talk about starting new projects, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tips - and I don't think there's nothing wrong with starting something new - I do it all the time lol. The trick is getting them done - you do that I don't lol. Have a great Sunday

    ReplyDelete