QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Monday, September 17, 2012

MRS. LINCOLN'S SAMPLER BLOCKS PART 1

We are back home after a week's vacation with our long time friends at Myrtle Beach, SC.  While my husband played golf and our friends sat on the beach, I watched the ocean from inside the condo in air-conditioning and stitched on applique blocks.  The mornings were cool enough to sit out on the deck but it was hot sitting out there in the afternoons.  Enjoying the view from inside is what I like to do when it gets too warm outside.  A relaxing week for sure.

I had all the applique block parts ready for stitching so I got a lot done.  I am working on the "Mrs. Lincoln's Sampler Quilt" by Lori Smith.  Here are the blocks I completed.  My design wall is full right now so I took the pictures on an upholstered chair.  The curve of the chair gives the blocks a bit of a wonky look.  And the blocks are not trimmed yet.










I think the pink bird is my favorite block thus far.






I was able to do two to three blocks a day depending on how much stitching was involved.  I finished one more block but a red fabric ran when I rinsed the block.  I think it is the only block I cut a piece of that particular red to use.  The fabric will no longer be in my stash.  It had already been pre-washed with a color catcher.

I have not stitched since returning home but will be doing some this afternoon..  I hope you get some stitching time in today too.

Karen

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful blocks! I can't wait to get started on mine. You have really done a lot of work on yours! Whew! While I was in St. Lucia, I didn't stitch a thing :) just enjoyed the wonderful sunshine.

    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on a roll! I recently started following the Temecula Quilt Co blog and they have a few of these blocks on display and I have been very tempted.
    I can't believe how fast you are! Well, I can believe it but I'm impressed like heck! LOL! These turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous choices, I do love the pink bird, but also the blue leaves on the bottom block. This is going to be another great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a productive week! You are so smart to have them prepped. Love them all...hard to pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blocks, Karen! I am glad you had a nice vacation. AC is my kinda vacation too! Lol. I hate the heat with a passion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a productive trip to the beach! I love all your blocks and cannot pick a favorite. I don't think I could just watch the beach from the a/c though. I visit family in Surfside and you can usually find me on the beach until the sun is setting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks are very pretty! How discouraging that your red ran!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very productive! Love your completed blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These blocks are beautiful---I love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are fabulous! Love your fabric choices. I bought this pattern last month at the AQS Show in Grand Rapids. I'm hoping to get started soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks are fabulous! Love your fabric choices. I bought this pattern last month at the AQS Show in Grand Rapids. I'm hoping to get started soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those blocks are beautiful! I love the pink bird and the pink flower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are all so cute! I think I like the purple flower block the best, but it's a tough decision! Very cute! I am trying to stitch today, but my email keep blinking that I have new mail! LOL. Back to stitching I go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely blocks. I really like the blue bird and the one with the pink flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The blocks are beautiful! I can't believe how much you got done. I would be able to stitch in the evenings, but I'd have to be on the beach during the day. I love my early morning walks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is going to be absolutely charmingl. All the different fabrics you used blend so well together. Sorry that the red fabric ran. It would be out of my stash too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful blocks, oh I love the birds....
    sorry the red ran, I hate when that happens.
    these will be a great reminder of your vacation
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic! Love the blocks and the colors you used! Such a pitty but it sometimes happen, lucky it was only one block! Enjoy your stitches, greetings
    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are such great blocks. Lori Smith has such nice patterns.
    I love the pink birdie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - that is a lot of progress! Glad you had such a great week. Your blocks are all really great - I could never pick a favorite. Love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really enjoyed seeing your blocks. Are they your colours choices or did you follow the designer's choices. Love the purple one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful blocks!
    I am getting ready to start a Lori Smith pattern - love her work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another stunning set of blocks! My favorite is the pineapple block. I have been dreaming about a Hawaiian vacation - pineapple blocks will have to do for now *s*

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW - you've gotten a lot of these done. They are all gorgeous blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Karen, the blocks are lovely! You were very productive while on vacation!! I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your Mrs. Lincoln's blocks are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete