QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

THE LITTLE MACHINE GOES "WHIRR, WHIRR"

It is hard to describe how the little Singer Featherweight sewing machines sound.  It is unique.  I thought "whirr, whirr" might describe it.  I was intrigued as to what Bonnie Hunter's quilting web cam time was about.  I stopped by three different evenings to watch a bit because she was sewing on a Singer Featherweight machine and I loved hearing the whirr as she stitched.  I wanted to get one of mine out of its case, set it up, and stitch away but I had other things going on in the sewing room.  Finally, I finished cutting out "Mrs. Lincoln's Sampler Quilt" and put fabrics away.  Time to pull out the black featherweight, plug it in, and start stitching.  I love the sound!
I used to have two Singer Featherweight machines that I sold.  They weren't getting used.  I felt like I did not piece quilt blocks very accurately using them.  I had one of those plastic 1/4 inch feet put out by "Little Quilt".  Seemed like the foot  made the fabric wobble a bit as the pieces went through.  Since that time, there are now metal 1/4" feet that you can purchase and I have two.  They aren't thick in height like the "Little Foot" though many people have used one with success.  I now have a black featherweight machine and one of the white or what some call celery color.  I love sewing on them though I mostly use my Bernina.  The machine in the picture came with a piece of masking tape marking what would be a quarter inch seam allowance.  I left it on.  It is helping me to keep the seam at the right width as I tend to float over towards the end of a seam.  I regret selling the first two Featherweights.  And, if the budget would allow, I would purchase a couple more.  Why?  I can't explain it.  Maybe I could invite over some friends, put them all to sewing, and listen happily to the whirr of all in unison.  LOL!

A few days ago, I received an e-mail from Cheri of Wednesday's Quilts telling me that I had won some of the scraps she was giving away.  The box arrived today.  What fun!  This is what the pile looked like when I dumped them out.
And this is what they look like now that they are tamed by pressing with the iron.
Mostly plaids and reproduction fabrics.  Small pieces that many would not bother with but they make me happy.  I can see them being used for log cabin strips, nine patches, little churn dashes.  What fun I will have.

Pardon me while I go make the little machine whirr some more.
Karen

31 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been all excited about my box to arrive, too! Love what you got and it makes me even more excited to receive mine!! I better go checking the mailbox now. It's good idea to keep your sewing machine busy so that we will get to enjoy seeing more of your lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those scraps look wonderful, so much potential..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my Featherweight. I do use the metal 1/4" guide and it is very helpful to me. I would love to find another Featherweight, but the prices are out of my price range in our area. I look every time I go to the thrift store ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've inspired me to get my Featherweight out and oiled up to use this weekend! I really like mine, too, but it isn't as easy to sew on as a Pfaff, so I don't use it much. But it does have a cute little whir! I need to start a new project that I just do on it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to whir while playing with that wonderful pile of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been looking for a Featherweight!! Now you have heightened my desire!! Oh, oh, oh! What a fun box of scraps!! What fun things you will "whirr" out!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such wonderful scraps...how do you plan to store them...always looking for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. listen happily to the whirr of all in unison. LOL!
    How fun would that be! I'd love to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading this post! Wouldn't that be amazing to listen to a room of old machines piecing? And how great you were able to tame that pile of fabric scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the whirr of my featherweight too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't know what it is about pressing scraps but it's almost therapeutic. I'm sure there will be a lot of minis or appliques out of that pile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delicious box of scraps. I know you're going to have so much fun.

    I love the sound of a Featherweight - I'll bring mine over and we can sew. :-) Will tomorrow work for you? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucky you to recieve this box of goodies. I love scrappy backgrounds for appliques and these might be perfect for that or a pieced border.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is nothing like the sound of a Featherweight, is there? I love sewing with mine and even when I use my Bernina, I have it sitting out so it can keep me company.

    Your box of scraps looks wonderful. I'm sure it will come in handy, especially for your applique projects. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great box of scraps...perfect for your appliqué bits!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh...lovely box of scraps!! That must have been like Christmas to receive that!! A featherweight has been on my list for awhile. Right now I am sewing on a 1942 Domestic with a knee peddle. I just love everything about this machine...the sounds, the sturdiness, etc. They don't make them like they used to!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so jealous...I can't even imagine how awesome a gift you received. I bet it was the funnest ironing you ever did!!! Can't wait to see the project from these....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen I love my featherweight too and I hate that I have no place to keep it out in my sewing room. I keep rearranging in there thinking I'll come up with a place but not yet. You're reminder is at a good time because I've working on that room now - I'm going to look again! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blog entry made me smile - the enjoyment you experience with the machine is fantastic. Enjoy the whirr-whirr!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your RW and enjoy the sound! Hugs from Holland,
    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, lucky you! Those scraps look like fun in a box. Congratulations!

    And I know just what you mean about Featherweights. I was lucky enough to inherit my mother's and I remember her letting me sew with it (with supervision) when I was five. I, too, love that sound!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A student in one of my classes was using a featherweight. I had never seen one in person, but now I really want one! They're so adorable.

    That's a great pile of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are going to turn those scraps into something magnificent!! That's a given!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  25. They really do make a happy sound, don't they! Bought mine 2 years ago I think, but haven't used it much I must admit. Your post makes me want to have a good talk with Edana, that is her name hihi, and rescue her from the attic. Have a great time with all your lovely scraps!! Hugs, Daniëlle

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are going to love sewing on the Featherweight! I completely understand wanting a spare, or two. All my piecing is done on the Fwt, and I have two extras "just in case"!
    Have fun with your new scraps! Lucky girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your machine sounds wonderful. I'm glad we live in a day and an age where we can find time to enjoy our hobbies and crafts.:) Congrats on your great scrap win! I'm jealous.:) Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  28. My mother sewed on a featherweight for many years. Your comments about the sound brought back many sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely pile of scraps that I'm sure you will put to good use!
    What a fun machine. Love your cottage flower blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love my Featherweights as well. When it is running I love the sound of it, it is a unique "comforting" sound. Much like that of a VW bug. I do show preference to my Berninas over the Featherweight..but the little one goes with me for classes and sew days. I like to use a 1/4" wide by approx. 11/2" strip of Dr. Scholl's moleskin along the edge of the presser foot as my seam guide. I have experienced the same "fishtaling" you mentioned when I use the clear foot.
    Wish I knew where to purchase a metal 1/4" foot that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was fortunate to be given a Featherweight a couple of years ago. It sews beautifully but like you I have trouble with the 1/4 inch seam. I have not been able to find a 1/4 in foot that fit it here. I live in western CAnada. If you could send me a picture,name etc of the one you were able to get I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete