Back in August, I showed the beginnings of a large quilt block I was creating from an antique quilt design. You can read about it here and also follow a link to the quilt that inspired me. I changed the flower design to having three pink petals instead of five. That was because I thought it would be hard to have that many points coming together at the stem area. Even with three pinks and the blue green leaves that surround the flower, I had a problem. I got one done where it looked okay but not great.
I attempted to take a photo of one that was pretty bad but the picture was way too light. Here is one that I gave up on.
I just couldn't get the ends all tucked in nicely and covering what they needed to cover. My solution was to make circles that covered all those parts. Here is the completed wall hanging flimsy. The little circles worked well and just seem like part of the design.
I sewed the borders on this morning using the fabrics left over from the applique. As I was putting scraps in the scrap basket and some bigger pieces on the fabric shelves, I discovered a piece that probably would have been better for the border. But I don't think it is enough of a difference to warrant taking off what is already sewn on. You can see it on the left side of the picture below.
I can't say that I am in love with this piece. It was a fun experience and that makes me happy and that is what matters.
I was inspired by a friend in one of my Yahoo prim groups with her "13 Lucky Cats" quilt. I have wanted to make the quilt for years. It is in an old Red Wagon book. I started on the blocks Saturday. Below are the cats I have done. All the blocks left to do are black on orange. I hope to have them done by tomorrow. I have the pieced blocks done and waiting.
I hope you will have time to sew and enjoy the day as much as I plan to.