QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern.

Monday, October 8, 2012

INSPIRED BY AN ANTIQUE QUILT

Back in August, I showed the beginnings of a large quilt block I was creating from an antique quilt design.  You can read about it here and also follow a link to the quilt that inspired me.  I changed the flower design to having three pink petals instead of five.  That was because I thought it would be hard to have that many points coming together at the stem area.  Even with three pinks and the blue green leaves that surround the flower, I had a problem.  I got one done where it looked okay but not great.
I attempted to take a photo of one that was pretty bad but the picture was way too light.  Here is one that I gave up on.
I just couldn't get the ends all tucked in nicely and covering what they needed to cover.  My solution was to make circles that covered all those parts.  Here is the completed  wall hanging flimsy.  The little circles worked well and just seem like part of the design.
I sewed the borders on this morning using the fabrics  left over from the applique.  As I was putting scraps in the scrap basket and some bigger pieces on the fabric shelves, I discovered a piece that probably would have been better for the border.  But I don't think it is enough of a difference to warrant taking off what is already sewn on.  You can see it on the left side of the picture below.
I can't say that I am in love with this piece.  It was a fun experience and that makes me happy and that is what matters.

I was inspired by a friend in one of my Yahoo prim groups with her "13 Lucky Cats" quilt.  I have wanted to make the quilt for years.  It is in an old Red Wagon book.  I started on the blocks Saturday.  Below are the cats I have done.  All the blocks left to do are black on orange.  I hope to have them done by tomorrow.  I have the pieced blocks done and waiting.
I hope you will have time to sew and enjoy the day as much as I plan to.
Karen

19 comments:

Cheryl said...

I like your reproduction antique quilt block!! And I don't think the difference in the fabrics warrants changing the border. Love those black cats.

Sue said...

I just love those black cats !!!! What a great Halloween quilt .

I agree with Chery. I really like your antique quilt block , I would not change a thing

audrey said...

Ahhhh... Your reproduction antique quilt block is perfect. The soft colors with the red and yellow is wonderful and I can see why the little circles were needed. Great finish Karen!

Kindred Quilts said...

A Red Wagon quilt... an oldie but goodie!

Doniene said...

Love your applique!! And it think the little circles are perfect!!

Have fun with your little cats!

cucki said...

aww i love the cats so much..
hugs xxx

Janet O. said...

The circles on your little quilt do look like they belong. Good save! The other border does give a little more depth, but I don't think I'd change it, either.
Love the cats--that will be a fun Halloween decoration.

Lori said...

Love your antique repro and the circle was just the thing to hide the area you weren't thrilled with.
The cats are too much fun!!

regan said...

Your antique repro is gorgeous! I think you're gonna love it once it's quilted! And that little circle was just the trick! Great job!

Appalachian Quilts said...

I just bought that old Red Wagon book this summer on Amazon. I've wanted to make the 13 cats quilt for about 9 years! You have inspired me to get it out! :)

Quilt Hollow said...

Hi Karen
Unsure if you recd an email I sent earlier in week. Internet here at moms is slow. It took forever to see your quilt photos on blog. Great work as always.

Loris said...

Both pieces are lovely. Love the cats! The fabrics are perfect.

Sherrill said...

Can you tell the name of the Red Wagon book? I have a couple of theirs but apparently not the one the cats are in. SO CUTE!

Dixie said...

Love your cats quilt, and you will finish it just in time for Halloween! Your flower quilt is wonderful, and I love how you improvised to make it your own!

susis quilts said...

dear karen,love the flowers and the cats,have a nice day,susi

Lida said...

Love the cats! Really great in these colors! The flimsy is also fun and tndeed that is what it is al about! Greetings
Lida

Melanie said...

Not even a cat person and I love this....

Libby said...

Those old Red Wagon books are just fabulous - I've picked up a couple here and there and just treasure them. Plenty of 'one of these days' projects in them *s*

YankeeQuilter said...

I did that circle trick with the first Lone star quilt I made...works out just fine!