QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern called "Tis' Spring".

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"MERRY WINTER'S NIGHT"

A completed winter table runner.  I have had this done for a number of days but had not taken a picture of it.  This is "Merry Winter's Night" and was made from a pattern designed by Cheri Saffiote-Payne.  It is in the current winter issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects.
This is much like the version shown in the magazine.  I left a star off of each end as I thought that was all it needed.  It was an easy piece to make.  Twenty-five snowball blocks and then the applique.  Cheri suggested doing a faced applique which is where you cut two identical pieces with seam allowance.  Place right sides together and stitch the whole way around on the sewing line.  Then cut a slit in one piece of fabric, turn the right side out through that slit.  Press and then an overcast hand stitch though you could do it by machine.  I used wool for the scarf, hat, and arms so that is a single layer only.  I enjoyed making this.

My knee is doing better but I don't want to say I am on the road to recovery from whatever is wrong.  I have gotten better a couple times and in a flash, been right back to a low point again.  But I am hopeful.

We are having unseasonably cool weather here in Florida.  But we can't complain too much.  There are parts of the country in not very good shape due to the hurricane.  We will be having a warm-up soon.

Thanks for stopping by.
Karen

24 comments:

sunny said...

Very cute, Karen! I think you're probably right about the stars. I hope your knee is better soon.

em's scrapbag said...

Love the snowmen with the snowballs. Great finish.
Hope you feel better soon.

merumo said...

Wow, you made this already? Looks so cute! I got my kit late last week and getting excited about started making some time after my crazy work days get over soon. I'm also excited about faced applique method. It'll be a lot of fun! Glad to hear you feel a little better now. I think the key is not to go anywhere, but staying in the sewing room to get better faster!

Loris said...

This looks more inviting than the magazine picture. I'm tempted to make one now :-)
Lovely work! Hope those knees can keep quiet.

Loris said...

P.S. Love the quilting on it..especially in the snowballs. That is clever :-)

Angie said...

This is just the cutest thing---I have it on my list. *sigh* Hope you continue to feel better.

Melanie said...

I'm dying to make this...I love it!!! Did it go together easy....?

WoolenSails said...

I love how yours came out, still haven't had a chance to do mine. I hope your knee feels better soon, not fun being laid up.

Debbie

paulette said...

WHAT!! You have this made and I haven't even received my Primitive Quilts Magazine!! Our mail is SO slow!!
Glad the knee is better...maybe it's the change in weather. My mother could always tell changes in the weather through her arthritis!!
You take care!
P

Kyle said...

As always, I love how you interpret a pattern to fit your own style. Glad you're feeling better and hopefully, you'll continue too.

Karen said...

What a great finish - so cute!!

Doniene said...

Another adorable quilt!! You continue to amaze me! Praying your knee is 100% soon!!! Not fun having hurting body parts!!

Blessings

Janet O. said...

Another great little prim piece. The quilting is so perfect for this. I haven't seen the original, but I don't see how it could have been better than this. I'm thinking a subscription to this magazine might be a good idea to put on my Christmas list. : )

Stitched With Prayer said...

My gosh Karen, you do such beautiful work and so quickly. I also think that four stars would have been too many. The two offset stars are just right. I'm glad to hear your having a better day today and I hope it continues and also warms up for you very soon. Keeping you in my prayers. Hugs...
**Here in Utah we are having unseasonably warm weather. Of course, we had 3" of snow 4 days ago and it was below freezing all day long for several days...now we are in the mid 70s for a few days. Ah...Utah weather, LOL.

Missie of Hallbrook Designs said...

So cute! You picked perfect fabrics! Glad you are feeling better...I hope it continues for you!

Libby said...

I love using that double faced method for applique sometimes - it can feel like wasting fabric, but sometimes the added dimension is worth the price of a few bits of fabric *s*

Stina Blomgren said...

Love it Karen...
Still haven't bought the issue...just wanted it because of Cheris lovely little quilt...:0))) love to make her stuf!!!
Have a great weekend ...:0)

Robin said...

Cute snowman table runner. I bet it was fun to make.

Colleen said...

Oh Oh! You finished it! I absolutely love it! I was so excited about it when I saw the magazine. One of my all-time favorite Cheri's.

Lori said...

That's a fun one!!

Carole said...

Love how that turned out! What a cute table runner! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

cucki said...

so cute xxx

Mary said...

Love It! Hugs, Mary

Barb said...

very cute! what a great use of the snow ball block!