QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern called "Twelve Days of Christmas"..

Thursday, December 27, 2012

A NEW APPLIQUE PROJECT

Over the holidays, I felt like doing some applique.  I have more than one applique project that needs attention but I wanted to do something that was prepped and not too labor intensive.  I had "Fern Rose" blocks ready to go and sitting out on the sewing machine cabinet so that is what I grabbed.  I have five blocks done.  I thought I had six for a nice picture but actually only five completed.  The sixth is in the works.  The pattern uses twelve of these blocks.
The pattern is by Alma Allen of Blackbird Designs and is found in the book "Nuts and Berries".  I prefer not to stitch the same pattern over and over but with these blocks, I am using a variety of backgrounds and fabrics.  Watching television while working on them and trying not to focus too much on having to repeat those same leaf units over and over.

I made a cardinal pillow for my daughter's sofa.  I made her one last year from a different pattern and it has been well used.  She wanted a second one.  This time, I did a wool on cotton background applique.  I used navy fabric to finish off the pillow.  It really blends in with her sofa in the picture and hard to tell what color it is.
The pattern I used was in a Quilt Almanac.  I only have the pattern itself and not the magazine so I don't know when it was published.  The pattern was designed by Pamela Curo and is called "Cardinals and Blooms".  My daughter has a fascination with cardinals and collects items depicting them.  Instead of buying a new pillow form, I bought a nice sofa pillow at a thrift store and used it inside.

I hope you had a wonderful holiday.  We celebrated a day early so Christmas Day was quiet here.  I spent some time reading blogs, doing applique, and resting.
Karen

31 comments:

  1. I love that design in quilts, would like to do one someday and I love your birds and hte way you used print for the wings.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I don't understand how the word "applique" and the phrase "not too labor intensive" can be used in the same sentence. But that is just me, I know. : )
    I love the blocks. They will make a beautiful quilt.
    Beautiful Cardinal pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Janet... I find applique some what labor intensive, but I still enjoy it occasionally! Your blocks are very nice! Lovely cardinal pillow... lucky daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pattern "Fern Rose" is adorable! Looks like a fun one. Prepping is the key, isn't it? Now I'm wondering how you're going to set it when you're done...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Holidays Karen,
    Love your applique project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay....another beautiful project, Karen...and will be on the top of my 2013 list of projects for Cardinal pillow too!

    Thanks for the insprirations :)


    Happy New Year!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are getting a lot accomplished on your applique blocks! Beautiful work. Your cardinal pillow is wonderful too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I DITTO what Janet O. had to say because I was thinking same thing as I chuckled when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fabulous applique project.

    Happy Holidays, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is beautiful Karen. I so love the pillow too

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always, Karen, absolutely lovely projects!! I too love cardinals, so I may just have to make this pillow someday!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your new "older" appliqué pattern. I know what you mean when you call it relaxing. Keep going! Your daughter received a wonderful pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As usual...another beauty in the making!! Love this quilt! Your DIL must have flipped over this pillow!! Very nice!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is going to be beautiful, and I love the cardinals!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I look forward to seeing this one :). I've been doing some applique too - so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the new applique blocks! It will be a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always inspiring when I stop by. Your applique project is wonderful and I bet your daughter was thrilled with her cardinal pillow. My Mom has a thing for cardinals as well - so every year I find a little something special to fill that niche.
    Hugs - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your new applique quilt. Doing the same block over and over is hard but the end result is awesome.
    The cardinal pillow is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love the cardinal pillow you made for your daughter. Beautiful!

    You just gave me an idea with respect to needle turn applique. I think I'm going to prep a few blocks to have them ready for a "rainy day". Just the other night I was looking for some handwork and couldn't believe that I didn't have anything ready to just pick up and start to stitch.

    Thanks, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think your Fern Rose blocks are lovely! The cardinal pillow is wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Company left this morning so I have Catching up to do. First off, Merry Christmas. Happy New Year. I hope your holidays have been fun so far. Love the plaid wings-- just sparks smiles into that pillow. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - you've got a great start on those blocks.
    cute cardinals!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The cardinal pillow is fabulous, I'm sure she will love it. Happy stitching and all the best in 2013

    ReplyDelete
  24. What beautiful blocks you are making! The pillow is lovely too. Happy stitching for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heel veel GELUK in 2013 from The Netherlands!!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another beautiful project. I love it that you have things ready ahead - and can grab off the shelf.
    Great pillow and I think it is great when projects are used and need replaced - sign of love.
    Have a fabulous 2013 - and thank you so much for all you shared in 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful appliqué blocks - always like those Blackbird Design ladies. Your different backgrounds will make the blocks sing!!

    Wishing you a wonderfully creative New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your applique blocks look wonderful, Karen! The Nuts and Berries book has a lot of great projects - that was my very first Ebay purchase so many years ago. The cardinal is my high school mascot, so holds a special place in my heart. Love the pillow you made for your daughter. Happy new year, and looking forward to your posts in 2013.

    ReplyDelete