QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern.

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Gift Exchange

I am participating in a gift exchange in a Yahoo prim group I belong to.  We were to make a prim pocket/bag, one or two Christmas ornaments, add a Christmas fat quarter, and something we weren't using. I really enjoyed making the prim pocket and a prim angel.  So much so that I had a hard time parting with them.
First of all, I had to do a Google image search to understand what a prim pocket is.  I learned that it is usually something that hangs from a door knob or cabinet handle.  And they hold dried flowers, berry branches or whatever you would like to display in one.  I noted that many are made from wool.  Some with a wire handle.  I know my swap partner likes wool so that was an easy choice.  I just had to plan a design to applique onto it.  I looked and looked on the internet and then in my quilt books.  My attention was drawn to the Santa done in wools on a wall hanging size quilt I made last year.  I measured and decided it would be an appropriate size.  I made a paper pattern for a bag shape just guessing and cut out a back and front from wool and then a lining from a green stripe cotton.  I added a sheep and a star to the design.  The pine tree is embroidered.  The handles are made from wool too which I pinked the edges of.  Here is what I came up with.
Then the process of making a Christmas ornament or two.  So many ideas and patterns to choose from.  I ended up making an angel doll instead of an ornament.  I used a Country Threads pattern.  The doll has no arms.  The arms were to be silk greenery and more like wings.  I could not find anything silk at the craft store that suited me.  I did find some plastic type greenery and some that looked like branches from an artificial Christmas tree.  I found them too heavy when I tried to attach them to the quilt block dress that the doll wears.  The pieces just drooped.  I decided to create wings and selected a shape from a Jan Patek angel quilt pattern for them.  From the internet, an image search for vintage Christmas sheet music provided me with a song with "angel" in the verse.  I printed it onto computer printer ready fabric.  I only had one sheet and the wings are wide.  I was able to cut two pieces for the wing fronts and piece those together.  I used a cotton fabric for the back side of the wings.  Here she is.
The dress is a pine tree quilt block and it is quilted.  The pattern set of angels has one for each season with a different block design used for each.  I added some spritzes of the walnut spray to give an older look to the sheet music and sprayed the doll and dress a bit too.  The doll head has a wreath of pearl trim around it and some jute cord to hang it.

I added a fat quarter of red wool, a red cotton prim style Christmas print, a needle punch kit I was not using, and an Aunt Philly's toothbrush rug making tool and instruction book.  I think my partner liked her goodies as much as I enjoyed creating and pulling everything together.

Karen

26 comments:

Nancy in MT said...

Ha! Not only did I like them, I love them and they already have a special place in the house. I was touched by your generosity. Thank you again, Karen.

Nancy

Sharon said...

Well, any quilter would love to receive these wonderful gifts, they definitely look like they came from your heart, the best kind of gifts to give!

Janet O. said...

Wow, you really went the extra mile here, I'd say, and created some very unique treasures. Both are just wonderful! Who wouldn't be happy to receive them?

cucki said...

Aww it is so sweet..
I love it too
Have a lovely day
Cucki x

Lori said...

Your little gifts will be treasured! They are really wonderful!!

maria alba said...

Unos trabajos realmente bonitos. Me gusta el Papa Noel de la bolsa.
Feliz fin de semana !!!!

QuiltSue said...

What great things you created there. I specially liked the angel.

Carol said...

WONDERFUL goodies! I know she flipped!

Cheryl said...

Your partner should overly thrilled...the prim angel is so creative! The sheet music wings are fantastic.

Melanie said...

I love these--- Incredibly cool.I'm going to Pin your photo on my Pinterest acct if it is OK--- What a sweet angel......

Raymond Homestead said...

I love what you made. I would be thrilled to receive items like these! Have a great day!

sunny said...

What lovely items! You put such thought into pleasing your partner, she can't help but love them.

Shakerwood said...

They look like they would fit right in with Nancy's house from what I've seen on her blog. Just love the angel!

Julierose said...

Love that pine tree angel--it is so pretty. Great gifts!! Julierose

Kyle said...

Your gifts are uniquely yours and a gift from the heart. They're wonderful.

WoolenSails said...

I love the things you made, you do such beautiful sewing. I have four trees like that and was making pillows with them, but they would work for this too, hmmm.

Debbie

Doniene said...

Oh Karen, what lovely, wonderful treasures you made!! I love the quilt in the header. Again, I LOVE your stuff!!

Blessings

Stina Blomgren said...

Lovely lovely ...:0)))

Christine said...

Great ideas! Love them both!
Season's Greetings!
Christine

Kaaren said...

Awesome gifts, Karen with a lot of thought put into them. I'm sure your partner was over the moon with them because I know I would be!

joan said...

Beautiful and I especially like the quilt on your header! You do such beautiful projects:)

Karen said...

You are amazing!!! Love the angel and the prim bag - the perfect gift.

Robin said...

Oh! The bag and angel are wonderful. You really used the creative juices on the angel. So many good ideas. . . Thanks.

Kelli said...

You are SO clever and imaginative! I'm sure your secret pal was thrilled!

Quilt Hollow said...

I LOVE that idea of printing off sheet music!!!! Just the other day I spotted a craft that had a single sheet of holiday music and I thought I couldn't duplicate! Just look at you teaching me another trick! My MIL collects angels...if she is good this next year I should consider one for her. LOL

The Civil War Quilter said...

Both gifts are great! Who wouldn't love receiving those for Christmas? What a great idea for an angel.