I am participating in a gift exchange in a Yahoo prim group I belong to. We were to make a prim pocket/bag, one or two Christmas ornaments, add a Christmas fat quarter, and something we weren't using. I really enjoyed making the prim pocket and a prim angel. So much so that I had a hard time parting with them.
First of all, I had to do a Google image search to understand what a prim pocket is. I learned that it is usually something that hangs from a door knob or cabinet handle. And they hold dried flowers, berry branches or whatever you would like to display in one. I noted that many are made from wool. Some with a wire handle. I know my swap partner likes wool so that was an easy choice. I just had to plan a design to applique onto it. I looked and looked on the internet and then in my quilt books. My attention was drawn to the Santa done in wools on a wall hanging size quilt I made last year. I measured and decided it would be an appropriate size. I made a paper pattern for a bag shape just guessing and cut out a back and front from wool and then a lining from a green stripe cotton. I added a sheep and a star to the design. The pine tree is embroidered. The handles are made from wool too which I pinked the edges of. Here is what I came up with.
Then the process of making a Christmas ornament or two. So many ideas and patterns to choose from. I ended up making an angel doll instead of an ornament. I used a Country Threads pattern. The doll has no arms. The arms were to be silk greenery and more like wings. I could not find anything silk at the craft store that suited me. I did find some plastic type greenery and some that looked like branches from an artificial Christmas tree. I found them too heavy when I tried to attach them to the quilt block dress that the doll wears. The pieces just drooped. I decided to create wings and selected a shape from a Jan Patek angel quilt pattern for them. From the internet, an image search for vintage Christmas sheet music provided me with a song with "angel" in the verse. I printed it onto computer printer ready fabric. I only had one sheet and the wings are wide. I was able to cut two pieces for the wing fronts and piece those together. I used a cotton fabric for the back side of the wings. Here she is.
The dress is a pine tree quilt block and it is quilted. The pattern set of angels has one for each season with a different block design used for each. I added some spritzes of the walnut spray to give an older look to the sheet music and sprayed the doll and dress a bit too. The doll head has a wreath of pearl trim around it and some jute cord to hang it.
I added a fat quarter of red wool, a red cotton prim style Christmas print, a needle punch kit I was not using, and an Aunt Philly's toothbrush rug making tool and instruction book. I think my partner liked her goodies as much as I enjoyed creating and pulling everything together.