QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Summer Glory".

Monday, December 10, 2012

RUDOLPH AND COMPANY

In July of 2009, I finished the "Rudolph and Co." quilt top from a pattern in a Quiltmania magazine.  It was designed by Jan Patek.  I finally quilted it over the weekend.  Two and a half years in the making when it should have been quilted by Christmas of 2009.  I saw a picture of a finished one very recently and it reminded me of the one I had made that was in the UFO pile.
The quilt measures about 55 inches by 60 inches.  A nice sofa size.  The pattern suggests that you can trace a child's hands for the antlers but I did not have one available so I used the ones from the pattern.  I did hand applique except for the eyes.  Those are fused and machine stitched.  Had I been doing the applique now, I probably would have used wool.

Here is a close-up of one of the blocks so you can see the antlers better.
The pattern was also available in booklet form, if I remember correctly.

I still have Christmas quilts tops in the UFO pile but I don't know how many more I can get done this holiday season.
Enjoy your day!
Karen

28 comments:

LynCC said...

Very cute :) I love the foot/hand combo idea.

WoolenSails said...

That is a fun quilt and love the homespuns. I wish I had thought of doing something like that when my kids were young.

Debbie

Karen said...

Very cute! Jan Patek has such great patterns, I'm not sure why I don't have any!

audrey said...

Wow! This quilt is super cute! Great finish.:)

Janet O. said...

This is such a cute idea. The grandkids would love to have their traced hands make the antlers!
You have been a regular machine churning out the finishes on Christmas UFOs!

QuiltSue said...

What a cute quilt. I love the reindeers' faces.

DACHA ARTESANA said...

Precioso. Me encanta.Bonito trabajo

maria alba said...

Un treball fantàstic. M'agrada el detall de les mans, es molt original.
Un petó !!!

cucki said...

aww sweet x

karin said...

oh how cute!!!
Love then,,,
Karin:)
in ny

Stina Blomgren said...

Love this one very much...Remembering when I did a similar one with Viktor...when he was 5... Using his hands and feet...Viktor loves that wall hanging very much...his best he says..;0)))

Quilt Hollow said...

This one brings a giggle sound from the hollow.

Shakerwood said...

Still think I have you beat with a 12 year Christmas UFO that I finally finished last year (or was it the year before?) Some years, one seems to flow in to the next .... Always liked this Jan Patek pattern. A little different take on the reindeer. Keep on going, you still have 2 weeks left.

Cheryl said...

I love the idea of using a child's hand print. Just one block framed would be a cute gift for a grandparent. Thanks for the inspiration!

Missie of Hallbrook Designs said...

It's SO cute!! Love it!!

Me and My Stitches said...

Wow, you are really on a roll. What a great quilt and a really cute idea!

Yvette said...

That is the cutest thing! I am so glad you finished it.

Darlene said...

A-dorable. Puts a huge smile on my face. :-)

Lori said...

Taht was a fun one to bring to the top of the UFO pile! And it's done!!

Kyle said...

Those reindeer are just too cute. How fun to use as a snuggle under quilt. The kids would love it.

Dawn said...

Love, Love those antlers - what a cute project. Very nice to pick something that nice from the UFO pile and have a finish ;-)
I'd love to see what else is in the UFO pile!! Probably should be called the treasure stack.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I remember seeing this quilt back then and loving it. :) And somewhere I saw that not only can use a child's hands for the antlers, you can also their foot for the head! blessings, marlene

belarmina said...

genial!!!!! es de verdad muy original
creo que lo tendre que hacer pronto
saludos

Barb said...

Its official - you have the best Christmas quilt collection!
I love these deer - they each have a personality - fun!

The Civil War Quilter said...

Darling quilt! Well worth the wait, I'd say. And, plaid antlers, very festive!

terry said...

Luv your reindeer quilty. I too made one similar to yours but traced around my grandkids feet for the reindeer's head and used their chubby feet for the antlers. They loved it and made them part of the project to enjoy for prosperity.

Terry

Melanie said...

I'ma plaid girl--- love it....I'm just crazy about this time of year and the spirit of everything....

Derrith said...

I LOVE your Rudolfs! The plaid makes them even more Christmasy. I can't wait to see the finished wall hanging you are hand quilting. It looks amazing. -Derrith