QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Vacancy".

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

SAMPLER FINISH

The "Spring Sampler" is complete!
The pattern I used is by Bonnie Sullivan of "All Through the Night".  It was designed to be a framed piece.  Instead, I added the two framing borders and hand quilted it.  The sampler is a combination of wool and some embroidery on cotton.  The alphabet was meant to be satin stitch embroidery which I am not very good at.  Instead, I used wool.  I scanned the alphabet into the computer, reversed them, traced to the paper side of Heat 'n Bond Lite (using a light table), and then fused it to dark brown wool.  I used small, sharp embroidery scissors to cut out the letters.  The cotton fabric was placed over the sampler pattern on the light table so that I had a guide for placement of all the parts.  I then slid a June Taylor pressing board under the fabric and fused the pieces as best as I could.  Anything that did not fuse well because of thickness, I used a dab or two of glue to hold in place.  I used cotton thread to stitch the edges of the wool pieces but floss could just as well be used.  I also used wool for the bees instead of satin stitching.  Bonnie has other patterns with wool and stitched words that I like but I think this is going to be the only one I do.

Back to my stitching.

Karen

25 comments:

Loris said...

Great idea to use the wool for the lettering and bees. This looks wonderful! I'm not that good at satin stitching either but I'm working on it :-)

cucki said...

Aww I love it..it is looking so cute
Big hugs x

Sue said...

I just love this Karen ! Another great finish !

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

It's beautiful!

julieQ said...

Beautiful, Karen...I love Heat 'n bond light!!

Karen said...

Love it!! Will this be a wallhanging?

audrey said...

Beautiful! You did a fabulous job. Very sweet little quilt.

Quilt Hollow said...

You SEW girl! Just look at you! Another superb piece from your hands.

WoolenSails said...

That really looks beautiful as a quilt. I have a few that are framed and I do prefer to add a border.

Debbie

Ann Marie said...

Looks great. Thanks for explaining how to avoid satin stitching!
Have a Merry Christmas, Karen.

Kyle said...

I love to hear how quilters can reinvent a pattern to make it work for them. Yours is a great interpretation. Merry Christmas.

Barb said...

great finish! Love the sampler lettering!

em's scrapbag said...

This is gorgeous!

paulette said...

See...another spectacular finish!! Thanks for tell us how you did it!! The letters are wonderful...and really pop!
P

Cheryl said...

Very sweet! Your hand quilting gave it a yummy texture!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Another beautiful finish Karen!
Your handwork is always so endearing - I love your work!

Lori said...

Karen! This is very lovely!

StitchinByTheLake said...

This is just beautiful Karen. What stitch did you use on your wool pieces? blessings, marlene

annie said...

That came out just beautiful!

John'aLee said...

Awwww....so pretty!

Barb said...

That is just adorable!!!

Jane in Wales said...

That looks so lovely!

Dawn said...

Beautiful work!
Have a wonderful holiday.

Martha said...

This is so adorable! Substituting the wool for embroidery and adding the Baptist Fan quilting was so creative, and it gives the sampler that perfect "Karen" touch.

Karen M. Walker said...

love how you made the letters! it is just perfect!