QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Pond Racing".

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

MY FIRST SALLY POST BLOCK

January has been a very busy month at our home.  A wonderful visit from my brother and wife who live in Wisconsin. They will probably be spending time in Florida during the winter months in another part of the state.  But close enough that we could visit once in a while.  And my husband's sister has been in town for over three weeks.  We have been doing a lot with her so not much stitching time has happened.

My SIL and I have been visiting the Goodwill Clearance Center about once a week.  I only found two or three more plaid shirts to add to my collection.  There are people who have been there each time we go, and loading up two or three carts each time.  I am not sure what they do with the clothing.  Anyhow, we purchased a bunch of t-shirts in a variety of colors.  I rotary cut 1/2" by 3" strips of the t-shirt fabric and have a bunch ready for my SIL to take with her when she leaves.  She will be making shag rugs with the pieces using the rubbery grid stuff that you put beneath a rug to keep it from slipping.  We discovered you can do it with a latch hook.

I have been working on the "A Little Porch Time" applique quilt but am not ready to post an update picture just yet.  I did make my first "Sally Post Floral Sampler" block.  The pattern series is available free on Sentimental Quilts.  A new block released each Saturday.
I took over management of  the "Prim Folk Art Quilts" Yahoo group a few months ago.  Several of the members wanted to work on the Sally Post blocks as our group project for the year.  We are doing it casually.  In other words, you make as many in a month as is comfortable for you and post a picture each month of what you have completed.  No pressure.  There are 36 blocks to make the whole quilt.  Three per month is my goal to complete all the blocks in a year.  Some will make a few blocks for a wall hanging size quilt instead of all 36.  The group focus is prim/folk art style quilts but we also share other style prim projects such as hooked rugs, embroidery, etc.  If you are considering making the Sally Post quilt  and you make prim style quilts, you might like to join our online group.  Even if you don't care to work on that particular project but love to stitch the prim quilts, there is room for you.  Some of the group members are working on their own quilt projects this year instead of the Sally Post blocks and we encourage them along the way.

In my thrift store shopping spree recently, I came across a Rowenta travel size iron.  It was marked $3.99 but with my senior discount, it was $3.59.  It does heat up and looks almost new.  You can add water for steam but I haven't tried that yet.  The handle can be lowered so that it is more compact when packing it away.  Does anyone have this brand travel iron and do you like it?
I really did not need a travel iron as I already have one (a different brand) but this seemed like such a good buy that I took it home with me.  There was no case with it but I could easily make one if the mood hits.

Time to get some sewing done.  I hope you enjoy your day and have some sewing time too.
Karen

32 comments:

Libby said...

Are those dominoes in the background? We have been having some domino fun around these parts, too!

Kathy said...

I love your "A Little Porch Time" block -- I will have to go check this pattern out.

You got a great deal on your iron!!!!

WoolenSails said...

I hit the thrifts all the time, sometimes i Walk out with nothing, but they have a high turnover, so worth going a few times a week. Some people get clothes for shelters so they do stock up, but I do wonder if some people are reselling items.

Debbie

Janet O. said...

"If the mood hits" ... I love that.
Your little pink posie block is so cute, but I won't be joining. I am definitely doing some prim projects, but all with wool. None of the "needle turned" stuff. It is a miracle I am even doing the wool, I think. : )

Pat said...

Love the first Sally Post block. As for the iron I have the same one and I do like it. However, I found that if I added water for steam that when I pressed down, maybe too hard, that the water ozzed out. So I just use the dry setting and when the block is all done I give it a press with steam using another iron. I think you will like your iron.

Aunt 'Reen said...

I love your first block of the Sally Post quilt! I also love your choice of fabrics!

Sharon said...

Your block is cute, I've got the S.P. blocks but haven't started yet, need to finish one applique before starting another one! Glad you had a good visit w/family

Sue said...

Oh I love your Sally block! It's a beaut!

Yes, I have that iron and I do love it. I keep it next to the machine. It's one Rowenta I've not had problems with.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Sounds like you have been keeping busy! Your block is very cute. And so is your new iron~ what a great find. Have a happy day!

cucki said...

it is so sweet xxx

Kyle said...

It was good to hear what you've been up to. The Sally Post floral block is very cute. I'll love to see what the others are like, as you keep stitching.

belarmina said...

precioso este bloque!!!!!!!!!!!!
saludos

Rita said...

Karen, I have that exact travel iron and like it very much. Great Price!

Nancy said...

I do have that same iron and it's home is right by my sewing machine and what I press my seams with while piecing....love it!

audrey said...

Sounds like you're keeping busy! Great deal on your iron. I would have snagged it too at that price!

Julee said...

Love this little iron, use it all the time. It seems to get very hot for a compact iron. Great find!!!

quiltingmieke said...

hello,,lovely blog you have, Little iron, I have one, a really old one, love it!

Gone be follower, dee you

hug Mieke

Jane in Wales said...

What a lovely floral block. I love your Rowenta travel iron. I have a full size Rowenta (no steam) and it's great.

Cheryl said...

The Sally Post blocks is precious. What a good buy on the iron. I like mine. Just beware not to put too much downward pressure on the handle...it breaks.

Karen said...

Glad you've enjoyed your company. Looking forward to your new project.

Lori said...

Your first S Post block is so cute!!
I love a thrift store bargain and the travel iron is a fantastic find!!

Lida said...

Lovely block and still creating while you were so busy! No I don't know the iron, but it looks fab!
Greetings'
Lida

Cathy said...

I fell in love with your block and decided I have to make this too. I've got my patterns printed, background fabric picked out and just need to pick up a green. Look forward to seeing your progress. Hugs

maria alba said...

Segur que et quedarà un quilt molt bonic.
Una abraçada !!!

Darlene said...

Love your block - very sweet.

I was kicked out of the Yahoo group a couple of years ago. I hope you enjoy management the group. A very talented and prolific group.

Enjoy your company.

Darlene said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have that Rowenta iron and love it. It gets really hot.

Wendy said...

I love that iron, I used it so much it died on me. I have the newer model of the same brand and it's not the same. I also started a couple of Sally's blocks a few years ago, maybe it's time to dig it out.

LuAnn said...

Love your Sally Post block. I'm planning to do those this year, too. What a deal on your iron, too!

Purple Pam said...

What a great deal on your iron. Your Sally Post block is darling.

Dawn said...

Great Sally Post - that is a sweet quilt.
I had that iron - I liked it but broke the handle - I applied too much pressure I guess. Great buy!

Miriam said...

I have been printing out the Sally Post patterns but I haven't started stitching yet. I love the lighter greeen fabric you used for the stems.

Melanie said...

We're domino players as well, that iron looks brand new!!!! I never find scores like that!!!!Lucky to have family close.