QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

AUTUMN BOUNTY TABLE MAT

Late last summer I prepped the parts for a wool table mat with plans to stitch it on vacation.  I did do a lot of the stitching at that time.  Then it sat in a plastic container until this past weekend.  I decided it was time to finish something.  Anything!
The pattern I used is in the book "Primitive Gatherings Quilts and Accessories" by Terry Burkhart and Rozan Meacham.

I developed a problem in the construction of this mat.  The pattern had to be enlarged 200% and I did that on our computer and printer.  The hexagon shape was full size and did not require enlargement.  I don't know if the wool stretched, the 200% enlargement was not correct, or I just plain cut the background too large.  It was too long between cutting it out and finishing to remember if I cut it larger.  There was supposed to be 21 of the hexagons with the leaves framing the piece.  That is what I made.  Then I discovered that I needed 22.  I counted the pieces on the sample in the book and it did have 21.  I had to scrounge for the wool to make an extra one.  The backing is a tan wool as per pattern instructions.  I had used every bit of a piece in stash to come up with the backing for both the main mat and the hexagons.  I had cut 22 but one was cut a bit too small.  I ended up having to use the too small one for the back of one hexagon.  I had none of the green wool used for the oak leaves.  I had to substitute a similar shade from another piece.  I don't think it is noticeable at all.  I am calling this one done.  By the way, I prefer a book to have an insert in the middle with a pull out sheet in order to have a full size pattern rather than enlarging.  I know that can present a problem if the book ever ends up being sold used in a shop somewhere.  I purchased a used book from Amazon quite some time back and it was missing the insert.

I am finishing up an applique block this morning.  Back to my stitching.
Karen




21 comments:

  1. me gusta esta guapísimo!!!! las manzanas y calabazas me gusta siempre
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very pretty. Such a shame you had a few challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. T'ha quedat un treball molt bonic, però potser fa mes de tardor que de primavera, oi ??
    Bona setmana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Karen. I especially love the little delicately stitched twigs and berries. I enlarged the photo and cannot tell which leaf is a different green. Good job! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I agree. I like having everything 100% too. I had recently purchased a quilt pattern that required enlarging all 12 blocks to 135%... that added quite a bit of expense and hassle...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty table mat, and congratulations on finishing a project! Sometimes we just need that "finished" feeling.

    I'm with you on the pattern size - I hate it when they make you enlarge things. I'd rather pay a little more and have it done for me - it's not always easy to get to a copier. On the other hand, I just won an Amy Bradley pattern, and it has wonderful full-size patterns, so I can't wait to start it. It really makes a difference to have everything ready to go when I'm ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still can't see the difficulties... you made it so cute! Nice to have finishes :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This took some perseverence but it paid off. This is really lovely! The white and brighter colors are perfect for spring. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it, it is so beautiful
    Nice to have finishes

    Best regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always have that problem with penny rug styles, never get the back right, but they still look beautiful, as yours does.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. That turned out great!
    I hate when I have to enlarge patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it Karen! It will be all ready for this fall!

    I have a Heart to Hands wool quilt I need to get done for this fall. I 've had the pattern for two years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is beautiful. I love working with wool. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love it from my heart..so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous Table Mat! So pretty for Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nice finish. I'm with you, I would like to finish something too. I have had a queen size quilt on the frames for hand quilting for almost two months. It's time to be done!!! But, alas, I'm still plugging along.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, at least you figured it out and still had enough wool left to make the extra hexagon. It looks great and it's ready for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I usually won’t buy a book or pattern that has to be enlarged. Just lazy I guess because I don’t have a printer that will enlarge that much..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks awesome!! Come Fall you are going to be SEW happy to put this out! Come to think of it I keep mine out year round!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute Karen! Despite the frustrations, it is done and looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete